THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES

Monday, 6 December 2010

Concert: Novus UK, Deviant UK, the Ghost of Lemora and The Cruxshadows, London, 10.8.08

Not long after we'd taken seats in a dark corner of the club (Dingwalls, Camden - I think they've renamed it now, Club Rosa comes to mind, but as far as I'm concerned it's still Dingwalls as that's the only name I can remember...) the first band of the evening, Novus UK, came on stage. Dan and I had never heard of them before, but their female-fronted electro-industrial sound was enticing enough for us to leave our seats and make our way down to the front.

One of the band members - wearing a T-shirt proclaiming the legend, 'The Goth Therapist - Cheer Up, Goth!' started angle-grinding on stage, sending a shower of brilliant gold sparks into the audience, who by this time were dancing like maniacs.

When Novus UK finished their set, Dan spotted the singer standing at the side of the stage, and we rushed over to talk to her. She was really nice, and quite happy to pose for a photo with me.




Me with Sarahjane (Novus UK, ex-Faithful Dawn). I cringe, looking back at that hairstyle...


Original Video- More videos at TinyPic


Original Video- More videos at TinyPic

The next band up was Deviant UK, who seemed to be pretty popular with the crowd. In fact, the girl next to be (gorgeous blue Oriental-style dress, blue and white cyber hair falls) was in absolute rapture. The band seemed to like the audience's response - Jay said we were a brilliant crowd!


In between sets, we were almost falling over various Cruxshadows musicians everywhere we went. We spotted David fiddling with his violin in the corridor, and Dan had a chat with Pyromantic whilst I bumped into JoHanna from The Cruxshadows in the ladies'. She was standing in front of the mirrors - and I'm not short by a long shot, but my goodness she's a tall woman! As I entered, she turned to me and said, "Look, one of the clasps on my corset has broken and I'm popping out! Do you think I can still wear this?"

I told her it looked deliberate (it did), and that the whole outfit looked great. She thanked me, turned back to the mirror, laughed, and said, "Yeah, it does look deliberate - like I'm going, 'Ooh, I'm so voluptuous...'"

Next on stage were The Ghost of Lemora - I know they're really popular in the scene at the moment but for some reason I'm just not keen. However, that night they had the added appeal of Gary Marx of The Sisters of Mercy on bass guitar. I was absolutely chuffed when I bumped into him - literally, oops... - on my way across the room later on.

The singer of Lemora seemed to take a bit of a shine to me and Dan - perhaps he could tell we weren't enthralled? He kept staring at us, pointing at us and poking his tongue out... it was a little strange.

When the Ghost of Lemora had finished their set, Dan spotted Rogue from The Cruxshadows standing at the side of the stage and insisted on dragging me over to talk to him. And I do mean 'dragging' - I was absolutely terrified! I got completely starstruck and barely managed to say a word - Dan had to do most of my talking for me.

Rogue was such a nice guy, though, and seemed perfectly happy to chat - we even talked about an e-mail I'd sent him ages ago through their website, which he'd actually replied to. He asked both our names and actually squeezed my hand - I muttered something incomprehensible and blushed scarlet! He posed for a photo with me, and I have to say, he smelt really nice! I also touched his hair - that man is single-handedly responsible for the hole in the ozone layer, I'm sure...
On the plus side, I look reasonably sane in this photo...

"Ooh, I'm so voluptuous!" - JoHanna and her busted corset
Dan and I were quite close to the front as CXS began tuning up and soundchecking. Jessica was doing her warm-up stretches about three feet away from us.

And at last the set began - new guitarist Valerie (who has since been replaced) was brilliant; bouncy and full of energy! I loved her. All of the girls were absolutely stunning - where do they find them? Rogue, as always, was going in and out of the crowd, climbing on the railings in the middle of the room. I couldn't help but think - people say that Goths are gloomy, depressed and 'too bloodless to lift a finger' (thanks, Sarah Sands). Well, those people should have been in that room!

The only downside was that we had to leave before the show was finished to catch the last train home, not even halfway through the Cruxshadows' set. And according to the set list, my all-time favourite song, Winterborn, would have been played next. Typical... At least we stayed long enough to dance to the chorus of Deception!















Original Video- More videos at TinyPic


Original Video- More videos at TinyPic


Original Video- More videos at TinyPic


Original Video- More videos at TinyPic


Original Video- More videos at TinyPic

0 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...