THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES

Tuesday, 18 January 2011

Dodgy mallgoth pix! Ai has dem!

After the great responses to the exceedingly dodgy mallgothy pictures I posted in my recent rambling, Growing Up Goth, I figured I should probably show you the rest. Are you ready for this? I don't think you are. But here we go.

At the time, I loved these pictures (taken by Dan, also in his extremely short-lived 'Goth' phase) and thought I was the most awesome spooky kid ever. No, really. Looking back, I still love them, but for totally different reasons... I will be kind, and not post pictures of Dan in HIS mallgoth phase (although he didn't do too badly, actually, which makes my sartorial mistakes just that little bit worse).

Like this one.

Behold... the darkest evil of the dark darkness. And dark. And evil. Did I mention that?

This was only taken about four years ago, which makes me cringe. When I'm 25 I'll probably be able to look back on it with slightly more enthusiasm. I thought I would be able to provide some sort of witty and humourous commentary, but words actually fail me. Will my Goth cred ever recover from posting these on the internets? No, probably not.

Bless the try-hard syndrome of the babygoth. A bare stomach, complete with gloves, scarf and trenchcoat? Not going to ask why I thought that was a good idea.

Now, along with the traditional no-nose pics, doesn't every budding Gothling have a 'Look, guys, I'm, like, DEAD!' standard cemetery photo in their albums? Or was that just me? If I'm being entirely honest, I actually have a copy of this photo on my closet door. It makes me smile. Don't get me wrong, I love cemetery photoshoots to this day. It's just the massive grin on my face that makes me laugh. Ah well. At least you can tell I'm having fun. Being, like, dead.
This last photo was one of a batch I took myself, and, obviously, edited the life out of (pun intended). Shame it didn't occur to me that the floral curtains in the lounge didn't really fit with the Mistress of the Dark theme I was clearly going for. However, this is quite a cute photo, I'll admit. Although you can totally tell that I was thinking of changing my name to 'Raven'.

So that's my skeletons out of the closet, readers - now it's your turn. A few people were threatening to dust off their own dodgy mallgoth photo albums, and I'm getting weirdly excited about it. Do your worst, fellow Gothlings!

Listening to: Building Steam - Abney Park

9 comments:

ETERNITY KIDZ said...

Awww... so cute. The last pic has a very cool The Crow (1994) feel.
p.s. Yr cred's safe. If anything, I think this kind of "opening up" only makes it stronger.

Laurel said...

If I could only get copies of the photos that have been taken of me... Oh, well. Once the icky weather lets up, I'll get some batteries and post some current bad pictures!

Laurel said...

And the last picture is really cute. It looks like you have well-applied whiteface on...something I will never do, because I will never do it well.

KatSlaughter said...

Very cute photos; especially the "Look guys I'm lyk so dead lol" one. I must admit I was lucky to sidestep most of the babygoth thing.. I used to hang out with some other babybats who I thought were sooo hardcore at the time, despite all of them being younger than me. They were all so cool-looking compared to me in my dark jeans and plain black shirt, with my long blonde hair. When I was about nineteen I began to buy clothing I liked as opposed to scrounging hand-me-downs, and my favourite outfit consisted of baggy black pants and similarly engulfing black t-shirt I got at a concert. Not figure-flattering at all, but at least I was old enough to know not to try any freaky panda makeup [as is the generally-accepted babybat norm].

Once I got out of men's clothes I was okay =]

ultimategothguide said...

@ Laurel - cheers muchly, I've never actually used whiteface! I'm naturally pasty-white...

@ KatSlaughter - if you think freaky panda make-up is bad, you should have seen my liquid eyeliner eyebrows. The rest of my make-up would wear off, but those babies just stayed.... and stayed... and stayed...

ultimategothguide said...

@ ETERNITY KIDZ - thank you =D
I feel better about posting these pics now...

Angel of Darkness said...

I hope it's safe to say but I never actually went throught any mallgoth phase. In fact I didn't want to start dressing goth till I knew it all!
And the pics were cute!

Chaos said...

Like Angel, I never really had a mallgoth phase because I waited until I was more immersed in the goth subculture before dressing full-on as a goth. I used to dress more like a metalhead instead -- jeans, black t shirts, leather wristbands and combat boots. My boyfriend (who is not a goth) had a mallgoth phase during highschool and those pictures are priceless!

Anonymous said...

I'm just starting to dress goth. I'm hoping that with this blog's help I'll just be able to magically skip over the mallgoth phase and not have too many awkward pictures. But then, that might be an important step in becoming goth. : ) look, guys, I'm, like, DEAD! : )

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...