THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES

Sunday, 9 January 2011

M'era Luna Festival

My 100th blog post! Wow, clearly I talk too much...

A note: to the gentleman who kindly invited me to follow his blog about the Christian religion and how I can be 'saved', thank you for the offer, but you will note that I have deleted your comment. I am neither ignorant about Christianity nor am I anti-Christian; whilst I'm not a Christian myself I'm comfortable and happy with my own faith and do not feel that I'm lacking in any sort of spiritual guidance. You are, of course, invited to follow my blog should you wish to learn more about Goth and discover the truth about any misconceptions you may possibly have about the subculture.

Now THAT's a lot of Goths.
M'era Luna Festival, Hildesheim, Germany
Source: Google Images
I am assuming that the sheer number of Goths in Germany is the reason why the gruftis play host to most of the biggest international Goth festivals, including, of course, the WGT, and M'era Luna, a huge dark music festival which takes place annually in Hildesheim.

M'era Luna, like many of the other big-name fests, covers more genres than simply 'Goth rock', including metal (metal genres such as Gothic metal, symphonic metal, operatic metal, and black metal, are reasonably popular in the Goth scene, especially amongst younger Goths), industrial, EBM and electronic, with bands including The 69 Eyes, Suicide Commando, The Cruxshadows, Fields of the Nephilim, Diary of Dreams and VNV Nation being festival regulars.

M'era Luna has also previously boasted Bauhaus on its line-up - good old Bela may be dead but he's still kicking (a bit like Peter Murphy). The Sisters of Mercy played M'era Luna in 2000 - however did they convince Andrew Eldritch, notorious for despising the Goth scene despite the fact that it's probably Goths who pay most of his bills, to headline a Goth event?

M'era Luna comes to Flugplatz Hildesheim-Drispenstedt, a former British Army air base at Hildesheim, on the second weekend of every August and has been doing so for at least the last ten years (the earliest recorded line-up I came across was from 2000, the year when Eldritch apparently temporarily overcame his distaste for the black-clad and spooky). It boasts an impressive turn-out of darklings not afraid to face the summer sun - between 20,000 to 25,000 every year. Like WGT, camping facilities are available, which makes the stunning outfits, hairstyles and make-up even more impressive, although I suspect those with the REALLY elaborate hair and make-up did not spend the night in a tent.

There are two stages; one is a large, open-air, rock festival-style structure, erected specially for the event every year. The other is an aircraft hanger, where there have been some complaints about the apparently quite questionable acoustics. There are also DJ sets on the Friday and Saturday evenings. About 40 bands generally play at M'era Luna, always including some really impressive names.
From Stil In Berlin
Source: Google Images

6 comments:

MissGracie said...

I would love to go to one of these festivals but I feel like I would need to know German to be able to be comfortable. Have you been to any of the festivals in Germany?

ultimategothguide said...

I've never travelled outside the UK :-/

Am planning to attend Whitby this year or next year (depending on how quickly I manage to get a job as to whether or not I can afford it), then I guess I will work up from there! I'm lucky in that there are lots of events in England to keep me busy in the meanwhile.

Mieze said...

Hey there :) I'm from Germany and just wanted to stop by to tell you that there is absolutely no need for the knowledge of any German when you want to come here. Like most Europeans, except for the French, we put a lot of effort in learning English so there won't be any trouble communicating with people from abroad ;) My English might be slightly better than most people's, because I studied English at uni, but most people do talk decent English and are very pleased to meet people from other countries. So there's no need to worry ;) See you at M'era Luna! It's so much fun!

Sara said...

I was there and I met Adora, she's such a sweetheart.
Proof: http://a5.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash2/39980_419868936316_638736316_4924698_6280454_n.jpg

:)

ultimategothguide said...

@ Sara - well, I'm just sick with jealousy now... ;-)

Strike said...

It is a shame I have only just found this homepage. I am leaving for Mer'a Luna tomorrow and I would have loved to help you guys to come here. I have been to Mer'a Luna several times and I just love it. I'm german, but study in the UK. Maybe another time:)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...