THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES

Sunday, 20 February 2011

Amphi Festival

You guys in Germany have all the fun when it comes to festivals... the line-up of two-day extravaganza Amphi Festival is described as wide-ranging, but caters mostly to fans of dark, electronic and alternative music. It has been running since 2005 and boasts over 10,000 visitors each year on average.

Source: Google Images
Amphi Festival takes place annually on the third weekend of July, and is named after the location of the first fest, the Amphitheater in Gelsenkirchen, despite the fact that it has actually been held in the Tanzbrunnen in Cologne since 2006. There is an open-air stage and an indoor stage - previously, the theatre was used as the indoor stage, but since 2009 it has played host to club nights and viewings of movies and band DVDs. However, in recent years Laibach ended up staging their performance in the theatre as the ceiling of the Rheinparkhalle (the other indoor stage) caved in during a set from Feindflug (there were no injuries!).

As well as live bands, club nights and movies, the event programme incorporates readings and theatre productions. The event is sponsored by German Goth/alternative magazine Orkus (I have read an issue of
Orkus English and can tell you that it's fantastic, one of the best dark music magazines out there if you can get your hands on it. Oh, if only I could read German...), who release a DVD of the event in the last issue of each year.

Amphi is a family-friendly festival, although under-18s must be accompanied by a guardian. As you can tell from this video, the location is absolutely stunning:
The line-up has featured stars of the dark music scene such as Blutengel, Samsas Traum, Apoptygma Berserk, Katzenjammer Kabarett, Cinema Strange, Mediaeval Baebes, The Lovecrave, Nachtmahr, Skinny Puppy and Mesh.
Source: Google Images
Listening to: Sexyback - Faderhead

11 comments:

Stephanie said...

Looks like a good time. I wish I had money to go to some of this stuff... =/

Angel of Darkness said...

Man, Germany does have all the fun. I wish I could go, looks and sounds like a lot of fun! =)

Unlacing the Victorians said...

I don't like the food, but I certainly would love to live in Germany just for the music scene and festivals just like this!

Know of any Goth fests going on in September/October? I'll be traveling around the Bamberg area in that time with my closet-case goth of a twin sister...

Laurel said...

I wish there were music festivals near me... Those trees and all that greenery were beautiful; it reminds meofwhere ilive. Also, if anyone's interested, here's my new blog--http://blind-goth.blogspot.com.

Sara said...

I'm going this year, it's a 3h drive for me :)
I'm going for Deine Lakaien especially.

ultimategothguide said...

@ Unlacing the Victorians - um, Whitby Gothic Weekend in the UK, but that isn't at all helpful... I will double-check and get back to you on that!

@ Sara - I am so jealous. Room for a Goth in your suitcase? I am very tall but I fold neatly.

@ Stephanie - I second that!

ETERNITY KIDZ said...

Utter state of brokenness be damned!

Sara said...

If you could get to Belgium, I'd try to smuggle you in my suitcase.

elen said...

our festivals may be great, but here in germany we have the problem being forced to order clothes and shoes from the internet oder buy them from shops that have ordered them from abroad /:

buuut i will be there on this year's amphi ;D

Anonymous said...

Bit late, but just FYI Orkus do produce an English version of their magazine. The only place I've seen physical copies is at Resurrection Records in Camden and I can't find any info on subscribing to the English version, but maybe contacting them would shed some light on it?
contact _at_ orkus.de
http://www.orkus.de/

Amy Asphodel said...

I have one copy of Orkus English but haven't been able to get any since so I assumed it was no longer in production. Thanks for the info. :-D

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...