THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES

Friday, 11 February 2011

Goth - it's sexy...

Quick question: how would readers feel about guest posts written by other excellent bloggers? Does anyone have an idea for a guest post they would like to throw my way?

I am a little short on time tonight and my computer keeps trying to re-start itself, so here's a very brief Valentine's-themed post!

One of the many stereotypical images of 'a Goth' involves lots of heavy, baggy clothing and badly-applied corpse paint, which isn't particularly sexy. However, much of the beautiful Goth clothing available can create a very sexy look; not surprising if you consider the sensual nature and characters (not to mention symbolism and metaphor) in a lot of Gothic fiction. Dracula, anyone?

PVC and leather clothing are obviously very in-your-face sexual, but for those for whom the fetish look is a little bit too much of a 'statement', and for those who don't consider chains and lacy underwear to constitute an outfit, decadent, rich fabrics such as silk, brocade, velvet and satin are also very sensual. If you do not wish to bare large areas of flesh, sheer fabrics such as mesh, fishnet or lace provide a slightly more demure alternative.

Black and red, the staple colours of many a Goth wardrobe, are often traditionally regarded as 'sexy'. Other items padding out your wardrobe are often seen as sexy; items such as corsets, garters, stiletto boots and fishnets may be used as day-to-day wear by daring (or not so daring) Goths, but for many members of the mainstream these are generally seen only in the bedroom or in the window of Ann Summers.

When it comes to sex appeal, sometimes less is more. A figure-hugging velvet or satin dress may be more attractive than spilling out of a rubber basque and PVC thong; in some circumstances, what is left to the imagination can be as enticing as what is on display.

Source: Photobucket

9 comments:

Laurel said...

(Claps hands gleefully). Yay!!! Sexy is a state of mind! If you look uncomfortable or like you're trying to be easy, it doesn't matter if you're wearing a fishnet dress or baggy jeans and a sweatshirt. Likewise, you can wear fetish gear and still say "Hands off!" just in the way you act (i.e., act normal, not flirtatious--and if flirtatious is normal for you, tone it down a bit). Okay, I'd better stop, or this comment will be a guest post!

ETERNITY KIDZ said...

"When it comes to sex appeal, sometimes less is more." - couldn't agree more.
But of course, it's all about the attitude.
Cheers!

Stephanie said...

Love this post. Mike and I decided not to do Valentine's day, since my Grandpa just passed, but I'm still going to dress up. Thank you for the inspiration.

Angel of Darkness said...

I'm not so much for "sex appeal" toward myself but I like what you had to say!

Kitty Lovett; A Charming Notion said...

Back when I went to a school with a uniform, I was often told "you know that fishnets are for hookers?" or the often much-more-confusing "your tights are ripped! are you a slut?" (this makes no sense. no, i'm just lazy)

The response I always loved is, "did you know ballet was created in the 1800s in french brothels to entertain gentlemen before sex?" Yes, it was, and it always blows people away.

Kitty Lovett; A Charming Notion said...

Oh, and apparently, when I wear long skirts, I'm super-sexy. Corsets and bustles as well appear to be +5 SEX APPEAL. (+2 nrrd points, -1 life)

Less really is more when it comes to gothic sex appeal.

fae said...

Im a bigger girl and can`t really pull off the "sexy" look. So I tend to wear baggy cloths and use pins to give it a little shape. And (off topic) I wish I was allowed to wear a corset.

Callasandra said...

Big is beautiful to me

Anonymous said...

Oh. My. Goth. I love that picture so much! Not completely sure why, but I think it might be because the girl in front is so childishly pretty. I can't decide how old I think she is.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...