THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES

Thursday, 3 February 2011

Simple choker/headdress tutorial. Yay, lace!

As you may or may not be aware, despite my preaching DIY fashion left, right and centre, I'm actually colossally inept at customising and constructing my own bits and bobs, which means that roughly every couple of months I have to dispose of a bunch of useless rags that were previously quite nice charity shop finds which I *ahem* butchered.

However, I guess it's not the end of the world, as each time I learn from my mistakes and I usually have a few nice bits that I've managed to salvage and successfully prettify here and there. Sure, I'd love to make my own beautiful dresses and bonnets like the jaw-droppingly talented Opiate Vampire (click here for examples of her drool-worthy handmade goodness) - just give me another fifteen years to practise and I'll be well away. At least I'm trying; and hopefully I will learn and improve with time.

So, to cut a long story short(ish), my general DIY hopelessness is why you can count on all of my tutorials being extra-specially simple and easy, with minimal sewing, nothing complicated and twiddly, and no pattern-making whatsoever if I can help it. This one is particularly easy; no sewing, no fuss, and a result I'm quite pleased with.

I made this choker/headdress out of some random bits and bobs that I had lying around from other ongoing projects, except for the red ribbon with the roses on, which was a choker I got for 20p from a charity shop as it had no clasp. If you don't have a similar item hanging about waiting for a re-vamp, you only need some pretty ribbon and some ribbon roses.

You can tell in these photos that the ribbon and lace are not of the best quality; you may want to spend a little more than I did for finer fabrics and probably a better result.

This is quite a versatile tutorial - you could use the same layering technique to make belts, wristbands, probably even little thingies to tie around ponytails.
You will need:
  • A length of ribbon, about 1" wide, long enough to tie comfortably around your neck and your head (under your hair).
  • Two or more strips of lace, also long enough to go around your neck and/or head.
  • Ribbon in a contrasting colour, slightly shorter than the lace.
  • Ribbon roses.
  • Fabric glue.
1. Lie the 1"-wide ribbon down flat and glue the lace along each edge. Leave to dry. (Weighing it down for about 4 hours with a chunky book makes the bond stronger.)

2. Glue the contrasting-colour ribbon on top, so that it covers where you have glued the lace. Again, leave to dry.

3. Glue the ribbon roses onto the centre ribbon at evenly-spaced intervals or whatever pattern you so choose. Aaand... leave to dry.

That's it! Told you it was simple...

6 comments:

Stephanie said...

Amazing. I'm definately going to try this! =]

sweetcyanide said...

That's really lovely! :-)

Just thought I'd drop in and let you know that http://essentialalternativebeauty.co.uk is open for business now. Hope it interests you!

Ellie

Emily Lynn G. said...

PLEASE post more sewing free glue loving DIY's like this!!!! I <3 saving pieces of lace and things, I'm sure a pack-rat!

Mark The Asperger Poet Of Radio86. said...

This is a very nice image. it reminds me of Rose McDowell or Jill Bryson. They used to wear Gothic stuff like this. I say, bring back the old days. What does everybody else think?

Kitty Lovett; A Charming Notion said...

You want bonnets and such? You can try Tabitha's Legacy, which is a baptist site that makes modest-dress stuff for women and girls (DEFINITELY going to buy a dress and apron from there for a gothic maid outfit! Susan, anyone? Link is http://tabithaslegacy.home.mindspring.com/index.html ) and maybe my adoptive mom's site. She made mine, and it's beautiful, if not slightly smooshed and cat-haired since my kitties love sleeping on it. I'll link you to her later when she links me.

Anonymous said...

What color is your hair? In one of the pictures up there it looks brown. Is it brown?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...