THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES

Monday, 7 February 2011

Styles of Goth fashion: hippie Goth

A large proportion of Goths are pacifist, supporters of organical and ethical clothing designers, and have strong views on the ethical treatment of animals, the environment, and other people. Some are interested in New Age or Pagan religions, which have a strong emphasis on caring for nature and often use the earth itself as a figure for worship (a Mother Earth/Mother Goddess sort of concept). A lot of Goths are also vegetarian or vegan.

With this in mind, it's not entirely surprising that hippie Goth developed as a fashion subset. Whilst the traditional hippies (or the neo-hippies of the modern era) typically dressed in flared trousers and tie-dye, and had flowers painted on their faces, hippie Goth is obviously darker and more Goth-inspired. Tie-dye, dip-dye and batik prints are still popular, usually in black with jewel-toned accents. Clothes are usually long and flowing; long skirts and drapey shirts being the norm.

Occult and Pagan symbols (e.g. pentacles or pentagrams) are often worn as jewellery or as a motif on clothing. Celtic designs such as knotwork are also often seen.

Hippie Goth gentlemen often have long hair, and may also sport a flowing beard. Dreadlocks are also common. Amongst the ladies, hair is usually long and kept reasonably natural, with henna dyes being the favoured way to add colour. Make-up is usually quite soft and natural compared to other Goth looks (e.g. deathrock, cyber), and eco-friendly brands are generally used. Tribal and Celtic tattoos are common.

Eco-Goth brand Dark Star by Jordash sums up the hippie Goth look nicely with its flowing dresses, tie-dye, crushed velvet and pentacle prints, all in predominatly black and jewel tones. Nomads Clothing also produce the occasional Goth-friendly piece.

Stereotypically, a hippie Goth may have a variety of New Agey interests, for example Tarot, crystals, palmistry, astrology or aromatherapy. You can often find hippie Goths at Renaissance Faires, faerie fests or folk festivals. In the UK they probably have Glastonbury Festival on their social calendar as well as Whitby Gothic Weekend.

Musically, hippie Goths may enjoy dark folk music such as Sol Invictus, Goth rock with definite folky overtones such as Faith and the Muse; ethereal and dark ambient bands like Cocteau Twins, Desiderii Marginis, Nox Arcana and Life Toward Twilight; Pagan rock bands such as Inkubus Sukkubus, and of course 'traditional' folk bands, ambient and New Age music (some New Age bands, such as Enigma, are widely enjoyed by the Goth scene in general). They may also enjoy some of the psychedelia-inspired 80s Goth bands such as Tones on Tail.

Source: Gothic Models

11 comments:

Mark The Asperger Poet Of Radio86. said...

Hi Amy. It's always Great 2 read your fab Blog. I absolutely agree with you Amy 1000%. Pacifism is a very powerful tool. I always hated being bullied in school. Often, I wouldn't fight back. Those that ended up bullying me, they would come to school worse off than me. There is a Greek Goddess called Tisiphone. She is a very powerful Goddess of Vengeance. When you call upon her, she will come to you. She will punnish those that harm you. You needn't do anything at all. And the curse/spell/Karma payback won't come back on you. I love her with all my heart.

Sorry I've been a bit of a pain recently. I do adore True Goths, those that are True 2 themselves. Nature will look after us, if we learn 2 trust in her magic of darkness.

Stephanie said...

Hey! This post is about me! Haha. I put myself in this category anymore, but it's almost more hippie-punk-goth mix. What can I say? I love my subs.

And I definately love Inkubus Sukkubus. One of my favorite bands. You really know how to pin down the different styles of Goth. I can't tell you how much I enjoy reading your blog.

Unlacing the Victorians said...

I never knew about hippie goth, or that Nox Arcana was considered a band in that sort of genre. Interesting...

Laurel said...

Hey, this could be me, too! Though I could fit into several. It's a lot like the music I think--it is really hard to categorize, becaue many motifs are common amongst various styles. The Celtic motifs, for example, can also be found amongst fairy and medieval goth--this may be a stretch, but I'm sure it works will with Victorian derived styles, too. And corsets can be found in many styles--Victorian, Neo-Victorian, fairy, Cabaret--just to name a few. So once again I am still lost as to where I can categorize myself--but hey, there are no rules, right?

Nox Artemis said...

Ideologically, I'm a hippie goth. Hm, maybe when I do field work, I dress in hippie goth stuff too (cargo pants, boots, pagan jewelry, a simple skirt and sandals when work isn't intensive). Hmm, when I think on a bit FURTHER...

Haha. That's when I get a bit unclassifiable as a goth, because even though I go by as a faerie goth most of the time, the category is really a mash up of a romantigoth, perky goth, medieval goth, and hippie/pagan goth. Sometimes, it's just good to call yourself "goth." :D

ETERNITY KIDZ said...

It's always cool to be surprised by yet another subculture. Diversity is such a wonderful thing and you sure do a great job showcasing them.
Cheers!

Danny Collins said...

I've seen some goth girls wore big shades or big eyeglasses. It's pretty cool to see those girls. Nowadays, big shades and eyeglasses explore different fashion statements. So whatever genre you are in, eyeglasses fit to your fashion sense. You know in our hometown Indianapolis (IN), most optometrists have trendy eyeglasses and shades. It is good for those people who have poor eyesight. They can be stylish, and they can improve their visions.

Kitty Lovett; A Charming Notion said...

This actually exists?

Cool, I didn't know I hadn't just made it up myself. x3

RavenAntonia said...

I definitely cross many forms of the sub cultures. I started as a child of hippies, yet my dad is a proud serving Vietnam Vet and we have a long line of Marines in family. As I grew up I fell in love with the punk scene at age 7. Yes, 7! My mother was pretty much a child having a child. Her best friend was 3 years younger than she was. So I started to get to know music through her, then ran the gauntlet on my own from there. Punk then transitioned into the Gothic scene, then to industrial and do forth. I easily slip into any one of these cats depending on my mood. Now to show you HOW diverse my life ended up... My husband is as plainly NORMAL as you can get, and my daughters are are hipsters, and my son is a Marine, but he loves MY music choices. I never really liked labels while growing up, especially when you can sub cat evening and love that you showcased it.

Anonymous said...

I guess people would classify me as a neo-hippie and I'm attracted to a girl that I think is a Hippie Goth. Thankyou for the info, it has been very valuable!!

Cherry Divine said...

HI AMY. WHERE HAVE YOU VANNISHED TO? HAVEN'T HEARD MUCH FROM YOU FOR A LONG TIME NOW.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...