THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES

Wednesday, 23 February 2011

Styles of Goth fashion: post-punk Goth

'Post-punk Goth', if I'm being entirely honest, is a term that I pretty much made up. I have never seen it used anywhere, but it seems to me to be a fitting term for Goths like these, as the pared down, stark fashions suit the bleak soundscapes of the post-punk, noise pop and early Goth rock that is generally the music of choice for these Goths (who are also referred to as 'nu-Goths').

Source: Tumblr
Clothing is almost uniformly black, possibly with hints of white or red for contrast. Pointy shoes or winklepickers are de rigeur; often paired with skinny jeans or leggings. Body mods are surprisingly uncommon, although a single ear piercing is often seen. Common items of clothing include loose black cardigans, blazers, leather jackets or skirts, fishnets or plain black tights or stockings, plain black shirts or jumpers, and band T-shirts. Sweaters, T-shirts and leggings are often seen ripped.

In fact, this aesthetic is summed up perfectly by Fuck Yeah Goths on Tumblr - minimalist monochrome with a hint of high fashion. These are the Goths whom you would stereotypically find in a backstreet coffee house drinking their java black, clutching a skinny clove cigarette and looking bored.

Accessories often include black Ray-Ban sunglasses, Amish-style hats (especially for the guys), belts worn around the waist, and braces.

Hair and make-up for the ladies is generally simple but stark - heavy eyeliner, sleek, blunt or backcombed haircuts and possibly a dash of scarlet or black lipstick. This look is androgynous, and as such the gentlemen may also sport eyeliner. For the guys, hair is usually kept shorter than the flowing locks suited to other Goth fashion styles, either lightly tousled or neatly groomed like the members of Joy Division in their heyday. It's almost difficult to believe that this look is related to flamboyant, in-your-face styles like cybergoth and romantigoth.
Source: Tumblr
These Goths are likely to enjoy bands such as Joy Division, Fever Ray, She Wants Revenge, Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds, The Cure, The Jesus and Mary Chain, Cold Cave, Echo and the Bunnymen, The Birthday Party, R O M A N C E and Tuxedomoon.

13 comments:

SkullsCanBeGirly said...

Yo 2 words ama-zing thanks so much I told u I will always check out ur blog

Angel of Darkness said...

Hey! This fashion style sort of sounds like me! Except I have my differences. Cool!

Ashlee said...

I came to this post from Bloglovin, so all I saw of the title was "Styles of Goth fashion: p.." and so I guessed "pirate goth". I guess I was way off, lol. I don't even know what a pirate goth would look like.

Aoyama Tsubomi-san said...

Pretty cool. Hmm.....now I want to update my wardrobe. (hehe)

Sara said...

This sounds so like me :) But I call it Neo new wave or Chique goth or Fashion deathrock ;)

Stephanie said...

I love this. Have you ever thought about doing a post on Rock'a'billy? That's pretty versitile between punk and goth culture. It's probably my favorite too. =]

Also, I tagged you on my blog for a handwriting meme, so you have to answer some questions... with a pen. Yay. =D

ultimategothguide said...

@ Stephanie - way ahead of you =)
http://ultimategothguide.blogspot.com/2010/12/styles-of-goth-fashion-gothabilly.html

Handwriting? D'oh... this could be interesting... XD

Anonymous said...

I see that you get some pictures from Tumblr, do you have Tumblr?
or do you know any good ones??

ultimategothguide said...

@ Anonymous - I don't have Tumblr, but my faves are Now This Is Gothic, Gothic Charm School, Fuck Yeah Goths and Bloody Love Cherry ^^

Gina said...

I love this article! You write with a lot of grace, and you're clearly very knowledgeable when it comes to the variations of gothic fashion, lifestyle, and culture.

This one happens to be my favorite, since I'm fairly nu goth :]

Ghoulina Bones said...

I LOVE post punk.
If I had to section myself, i'd say my style fits somewhere between post punk/early Goth and Deathrock.
It has such a deep place of love in my heart.
<3

Tia said...

Hi!
After a lot of research and looking at the outfits I wear/music I listen to, I've come to the conclusion that I am a Post Punk Goth.. However, since I am new to goth, I want to find out more! Which is proving to be quite difficult. Please can you post more about it?
Love from Tia (@TheOfficialTiaB on twitter )

Anonymous said...

Great article! Also, by any chance, do you know what those hats are called? I've been looking for those everywhere and the only thing close I could find were bowler hats

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...