THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES

Wednesday, 9 March 2011

Goth cake!

I'm getting all excited about my 20th birthday party (only another six months to go... d'oh), and as I was flicking back through some old photos I decided I was going to share with you my Awesum Goffy Cake Skillz. Exciting, no?

OK, so I can't actually take credit for this one... I came up with the idea and my mum took my handscrawled notes to a friend of hers who does professional cakery (is that even a word?). This beauty was the result. And yes, it was chocolate too!
This was my first attempt at doing my own cake... the black icing got covered in flour, and what was supposed to be a coffin shape ended up flat and lumpy. Also I had enough icing hearts going spare to feed an army, so over the next month or so all visitors to the house were force-fed black and red icing until we were all sick of the stuff.
This was my 18th birthday cakery extravaganza, inspired by the infamous Corpse Bride wedding cake that you may have seen online. OK, so it's a little wonky, but I was really pleased with it and felt it was a definite improvement on the previous year's attempt. It took me four hours, and for the next four months we were finding those goddamned rock solid silver candy ball things all over the kitchen. But the icing flowers were yummy. =)
Which brings me, finally, to last year's birthday cake, and as you can hopefully see my cake-decorating skills are gradually beginning to improve. This cake was inspired by an image that came up when I typed 'Goth cake' into Google. I am actually very proud of this cake! <3

Random bonus pic: this is what I wore yesterday. It's a crappy cameraphone pic and I'm standing really awkwardly, but I was pleased with my experimentation with white and so you get to see it. ^^
Goth gossip: Industrial-metal icon Trent Reznor has not only won an Oscar recently for his work in movie-scoring (OK, that's not gossip, you knew that) but is apparently going to star in and score a new movie called (get this) Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter. Apparently, vampire-Trent kills President Lincoln's mum. Do I speak for everyone when I say, "WTF?"

Listening to: Frozen by the Sun - Entwine

15 comments:

Nina said...

I had goth cupcakes last year!
My dad did them out of the book A Zombie Ate My Cupcake. Would you like pics?

Abraham Lincoln Vampire Hunter is getting a movie? Seen the book in shelves and wanted it, but never got round to it. Cant wait!

Ashlee said...

That outfit is beautiful.

Boots said...

That's an adorable look! And oh yes, white is an expirement for sure. :) I tried my first ice goth plunge last month, it was strange, but very fun! I love the dress and corset, brilliant!

MissGracie said...

Adorable! How tall are you? If you don't mind me asking.

The Green Fairy said...

ZOMG Yum! I want to eat all the cakes! Nom nom nom!

And you look super cute in hat pic, like a little dollie ^_^ Damn your gorgeous skinny legs looking good in those horizontal striped tights. Super jealous.

Anonymous said...

I want to see moar of your outfits! Love your blog!

Unlacing the Victorians said...

Okay, you're in charge of making my next birthday cake. :)

And you gave me an idea for an upcoming blog post... although the idea of Abe Lincoln as a vampire hunter is nauseating to me. Anyone else sick of vampires yet?

Please provide some better photos of your outfit! The bright light behind you blends in too well with the whiteness, and I want to see it all in its entirety! :)

DuskRose_Dreaming said...

Wow, your cakes have totally inspired me--they're amazing. (I think some "imaginary goth points" are in order. XD )

I love your outfit too, especially the ghostly white effect.

Insanity said...

Oh well, this comment is a bit random.. :D

I love your blog!.. and I must admit that I have read every post you have written.. :D If you are writing about gothic cakes, I would advice you to check out my gothic cakes! I've done couple of gothic cakes for my friends, here's a basic band inspired goth cake: http://www.decapitatedfood.com/2011/01/gothic-cakes.html

and here's my first gothic wedding cake.. :) http://www.decapitatedfood.com/2010/04/naimiskakkuja.html

ultimategothguide said...

@ Nina - sure =D I know it's a little cliche to be obsessed with cupcakes at the moment, but I just can't help myself!

@ Ashlee - thank you <3

@ Boots - thanks very much! I was petrified of spilling tea on myself XP

@ Miss Gracie - I'm 5'9", which in those shoes makes me about 6'1". Beanpole, I know XP

@ The Green Fairy - aw, thank you! ^^

@ Anonymous - your wish is my command! Thanks so much <3

@ Unlacing the Vampires - well, I signed up for a vampire reading challenge, so prepare to get even sicker XP

I would love to provide you with better pics, but that's about the best I could manage. I will do better next time, I promise! :-/

@ DuskRose_Dreaming - why, thank you! Imaginary Goth points accepted with pride =D

@ Insanity - wow, thank you! And thanks muchly for the links, I will check them out straight away =)

Duvessa said...

The coffin cake is really cute and your outfit is great - even tho I don't wear white :D Really suits you :)

I've seen about the book but didn't hear that Trent's gonna be in it. I think I have to watch even if your WTF pretty much covered my reaction :P

Laurel said...

I'm a little late, but petty outfit and cakes! My cake decorating skills are non-existent.

Gibson said...

That outfit is just beautiful.

Anonymous said...

I love your outfit ^^
And you can bake really good too!
I was wonering, do you suggest any outfit ideas for a Gothling, aka, I'm 12?
Or some room-decor ideas, please? :)
It would make my day for you to Reply:)

Traicetrak said...

Late to the party on this post, but had to say, that outfit made me gasp with glee!!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...