THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES

Tuesday, 29 March 2011

Goth sports

OMG, this is my 200th post. Already. Are you people not sick of me yet? Also, why have my hits almost doubled in the last couple of days? On Sunday, I was thrilled because I'd had over 1,000 hits for the first time. But on Monday, I had over 2,000! Did I say something REALLY interesting, or did you guys just have a lot of free time? (Not that I'm complaining!)

Source: Google Images
So, today's topic is Goth sports, and no, I'm not talking about the manga (Gothic Sports). Although, if anyone has read it, is it worth taking a look for someone with no interest in sports whatsoever?

Sports and Goth culture are generally two things that don't mix. Goth clothing is not made for running around a football field, and Goths are usually stereotyped as shy, bookish creatures who would rather stay in their rooms and read than attempt double P.E.. (The plus side of this is that whilst your Goth boyfriend may not be built like Vin Diesel, he probably won't want to slob on the sofa and watch football all the time either.)

However, those in the know will be aware that Goths have a tendency to defy stereotyping. When my partner was at college, he was friends with a very nice Goth chappie who was taking a course in Sport - and of course, there is the Real Gothic football team in the UK.

Think I'm joking? Oh, no. Real Gothic F.C. is a team comprised entirely of Goths, which plays two charity matches a year during Whitby Gothic Weekend against Whitby locals and staff from the Whitby Gazette, and is the brainchild of Mike Uwins (from the band Manuskript) and Jon Stokoe of the Gazette. Their kit is all in black - of course - and their logo is a mock-up of the Sisters of Mercy's logo, with the words 'Boots On - Kick Off - Shoot Out - Real Gothic'.

As far as I know, though, Real Gothic F.C. has never actually won a match... Nevertheless, you can show your support by purchasing a Real Gothic replica footie kit from Angel Clothing.

Football aside, the typical way for a Gothling to stay fit and avoid piling on the pounds is to spend time at the spooky club dancing like there's no tomorrow. This is an especially strenuous workout if one happens to be wearing very heavy boots and skintight leather. Goth and Industrial dance techniques involve either a lot of swirly arms or a lot of stomping; all that flailing about must surely count as exercise...

Other Goth-friendly exercise options may include archery (OK, it's not that much of a workout but it's great for your arms, shoulders and posture - Su from Cauda Pavonis is reportedly a fan); bellydance (more for the ladies, I would have thought...); fencing; burlesque classes; poi; and even LARP-ing (running around with a heavy sword MUST be good for you). Spooky types looking to lose a few pounds or tone up before Summer Darkness might also like to check out The Gothic Workout (yes, really).

Of course, we darklings are generally well-rounded human beings, and as such might actually *gasp* enjoy activities and pasttimes not beloved by the Gothy hivemind as a whole. If one of your guilty pleasures happens to be a sport or other form of cardio, you don't have to turn in your Goth card each time you enter the gym. What's wrong with, for example, my badminton 'uniform' of band tee, black trackies, and black and pink trainers? Or better still, SiouxsieLaw's epically awesome bat yoga bag?

In short, whilst one doesn't need to be waifish and weedy to be a Goth, and Goth and sports aren't always such a great combination, if you're a Goth who enjoys jogging, basketball, rugby or even *gasp* cheerleading, you're probably not actually alone...

P.S. Here's an outfit I wore recently to see my boyfriend:
I wish you could see my boots better in this photo... also the skirt is a blue/purple dip-dyed spiderweb lace. Kudos to my boyfriend for not complaining when I turn up dressed as Mortica Addams's teenage niece.

My Daily Echo with the article about EGL and RazorBladeKisses arrived. I ended up e-mailing the publishers and begging them to send me a copy, and lo and behold, they actually did! It has much more pics than the online version and is very pretty. It also gave me this little snippet...

Goth gossip: Layla of RazorBladeKisses tells Vogue darling Alexa Chung to have some respect for alternative fashion and lifestyles… at least that's how the Daily Echo makes it sound. The article says, "Layla was invited to be filmed for a TV show with presenter Alexa Chung, although the show didn’t air after a fall out – Layla didn’t feel Alexa was wearing the Lolita clothes with the right attitude and told her so.." Heheh... I so wish they had gone ahead with it anyway. I would have loved to see that...

14 comments:

Shiken said...

Huh, I always thought health was a typical negative for Goths, many of my friends smell like a brewery while covered in there own cigarette ashes.
Though it's comforting to know that not every creeper discardes personal health or attention to weight issues. though in the end I can only understand from the third perspective as I possess the magical ability to eat, eat, sleep sit in front of the ps3 and go without an ounce of fat.

So take that you football hooligan Goths!

In the Mists and Shadows said...

Umm...does going out in the hot burny thing to walk your dog every day count as exercise? By the way, love the outfit (I could totally wear one dress for a year if it looked like something Morticia might wear...).

Duvessa said...

I used to go to a gym (I should start again) and I always have my own music with me since I can't take the pop hits they play there (except on classes, I quite have to). I walk - and own WHITE trainers, only white thing I own.

Angel of Darkness said...

I love to walk with my mom everyday, and walk fast and for more than a mile. I don't really like sports, but golf, tennis, and basketball I rather do like except I have no athletic ability, and am not competive.

Emily Lynn G. said...

I've definitely gained some weight sense starting high school;my Mom and I used to go to a gym but our insurance decided that was no longer important. But celebrating Lent means I don't eat meat or pig out as much. So there is that. And my Sis's job at Starbucks means we eat healthier. I'm not fat but I'm not one of the twiggy skinny jean Sceeny McQueen either. Witch I resent*sigh*

siouxsiel said...

Love this post. I'm so happy to see my yoga bag on here. Yay! When I was younger, I decorated my field hockey stick with skulls. Congrats on all your hits.

Stephanie said...

I don't know how gothy it is, but I started to kickbox. Granted, my gloves are weighted and pink, but that's tolerable, haha. I also like tribal fusion belly dance for sure.

I've never been one to fit into stereotypes, and I was definately the only girl in my volleyball class to have blue hair and a spiked collar. It was fun though, and that's all I care about. Should I worry about "fitting in" with sports? Because that's just not what I stand for. It's all relative.

And I love the outfit. Mucho jealous. =D

Ana said...

Hi,
I'v been exploring your blog, I like it very much! I am not goth, well maybe 30% goth if that's possible ;)not that I like to put things this linear or categorize.
I always loved the culture and the looks. now I find the immense variations of it!
I'm really into your blog :) keep up!

deepoblivion99 said...

I am a goth cheerleader! Yes! *gasp*
Its fun and good excersise! I've doon gymnastics since I was three too and still going strong with it! Sure at games, I may wear dark eyeshadow but why not?!

Kitty Lovett; A Charming Notion said...

Don't diss LARP until you've done it. I spent four years doing LARP with my friends (from primary school til high school. Yeah, I'm cool). The funnest thing myself and a friend ever did was dress up as our characters and wander around town in-character, much to the confusion of everyone else we were with - because we didn't tell them.

Ghoulina Bones said...

I play roller derby.
Before I started playing though, I hated anything that made me sweat. So I always got bad grades in gym class.
However, I sweat like nobody's business when i'm playing derby, and it keeps my metabolism up as well.
I really love it.
:)

The Green Fairy said...

Although I don't really exercise at the moment, I was a competitive horse rider and a horse trainer for about 5 years plus I played in my undefeated college Basketball team when I was at uni (I used to growl at girls on the other team to distract them whilst my team mates went for a layup :P So much fun.

I really should become more active... I just hate the sunlight so much is all >.<

Maggie said...

I'm a keen cyclist and I use my bike as a mode of transport as well as source of enjoyment. Until very recently, I thought cycling Goths are a rarity. Then I went to a meetup (courtesy of London Gothic @ meetup.com) and had to reconsider, seeing that three out of seven attendees turned up on their bikes :)

Anonymous said...

I love LARPing! Also, is swimming a good goth activity?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...