I would hate to think that any of my readers would feel themselves in danger of physical violence because of the way they choose to dress; but we all know that such attacks have taken place before and it's far better to be safe than sorry.
Your Auntie A is feeling just a little bit like an overprotective mother hen today.
Really Obvious Disclaimer: I am not a martial arts teacher; I cannot turn you into Xena: Warrior Princess or male equivalent. These are basic tips which I hope might help you in extreme situations. Please do not go around breaking the fingers of anyone who looks at you funny. Neither I nor the person who sent me these tips can be held responsible if you damage someone or are damaged. Violence is never the answer; avoid situations of physical violence if AT ALL possible.
If someone is being abusive towards you:
- First and foremost, IGNORE THEM. They want you to retaliate so that they have an excuse to take further action. If you don't give them such an excuse, they shouldn't persist.
- Walk away. Run if you have to. Avoiding a fight is always the best option.
- As we all know, sometimes people don't need a reaction to carry on with the abuse. If you are threatened in any way - including verbally - shout for help. That way you raise alarm and people may come to your aid. If that fails at least some witnesses can be obtained. Remember - by calling for help you are not being a coward. You are taking action to defend yourself.
- If the attacker persists then take off any jewellery and/or accessories you have on, i.e chains, belts, possibly even boots, ANYTHING like that, especially if it's heavy, metal, sharp or spiky. (This is because if there is a physical fight and you accidentally injure them with these items, this will be considered assault with a weapon and if you end up in court, you are likely to be the one getting in trouble. Remember, people often like an excuse to blame things on the 'freaky' one.) Also, if you are wearing long necklaces or chains, these can be used against you. Get them out of the picture.
- Prepare to defend yourself.
- If you can, run to a populated area. Shout for help. Always run to a place where there will be more people. Hiding from your attacker in an isolated area may seem like a good idea, but it really isn't. There will be no witnesses and no one who could step in and defend you.
- Defend yourself and fight back - but always avoid the other person's face. If you give them any head injuries they can press charges whether they started the fight or not.
- DO NOT START the fight. Avoid the altercation if at all possible; defend yourself, do not attack.
- Aim below the waist (especially if your attacker is male). You need to inhibit the person and/or distract them from hurting you, so for example if you were to hurt their leg you can get away.
- If someone grabs you, break their little finger. This is actually taught as a self defence technique in some workplaces, because the little finger is a useless part of the body. It serves practically no purpose, and breaking it causes no lasting damage to the other person. Not to mention it bloody hurts and so is very likely to prevent them from attacking you further!
Apologies for this very serious post. Normal service will be resumed tomorrow; same bat time, same bat channel.