THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES

Friday, 1 April 2011

Goth girl attacked - on her wedding day

This is old news now, but because it really shocked me at the time I felt it should be posted - apologies to those of you who already know about this disgusting attack.

Nowadays not every woman dreams of getting married, but for many women (and, OK, some men too), Goths and non-Goths alike, their wedding day is supposed to be the happiest day of their lives. The bride is made to feel beautiful and special; the point of the entire day is a celebration of love.

Not so much for Lucy Emmingham. Aged 21, Lucy spent her wedding night in hospital after being pushed down a flight of concrete steps by a gang of thugs.

To begin with, all was well. The smiling bride and groom (Edward, who at the time was 26) and their entourage of black-clad bridesmaids enjoyed a pink-and-black Goth-themed ceremony on Halloween. At about a quarter past midnight, as most of the guests were making their way home, Lucy and her new husband were on the steps outside the venue waiting for a taxi. Three men came along and began insulting Lucy, making abusive comments about her dress and appearance. Lucy said, "Edward politely asked them to stop and the three of them turned nasty."

The wedding party
Source: Mirror (read full article here) 
Lucy was pushed down the stone steps and knocked unconscious for about three minutes. Whilst she was unconscious, there was a scuffle, during which one of Lucy's guests, Jamie Johnstone, 21, was injured by having her lip ring torn out, and a fourteen-year-old girl was punched in the head.

Lucy said, "I could have fractured my skull or died. Police are trying to get CCTV footage and I hope they find the men. They were thugs looking for trouble and ought to be locked up."

Her mother Andrea also stated, "She has a massive black eye and bruises all over. She's also completely skinned her forearms. Those men ruined a wonderful day. Lucy looks a little different but to taunt and attack her because of that is disgusting. Luckily she was fit enough to travel so they have flown to Turkey on honeymoon. They [Lucy and Edward] are shaken up and I only hope they can enjoy it."

This happened in 2009, and I still can't even find words to rant about it. I'm sorry, but no matter how a couple dresses, that doesn't give anyone the right to abuse them at all, let alone whilst they are giddy with romance following one of the most important ceremonies in their lives. And call me old-fashioned, but the fact that a group of men decided to set about a 21-year-old bride makes me want to vomit. Had she fallen badly, she could have broken her neck. And tearing a piercing out of a young woman's lip? That's not even brawling, that's just torturous and cruel.

These men were obviously real nasty pieces of work - somehow I don't think they were tipped over the edge by Lucy's pink hair and mini top hat. They were just sickos out to hurt somebody - black clothing and an uncoventional appearance is not a reason to be violent, it's just what these morons use as an excuse to justify their depravity: they can convince themselves that 'freaks' deserve it.

How dare people treat others like this for choosing to look different? Or for being gay, or following a different religion, or for any other goddamned reason? Some people have no conscience at all. Cliche though it may be, I hope they find out that karma is a bitch.

15 comments:

In the Mists and Shadows said...

I wholeheartedly agree with you. It's never okay to be inconvenienced because of someone's prejudice or ignorance--but that's nothing compared to something like this;no one deserves to be the victim of violence. They can insult, ignore, and have awful opinions all they want--but physically harming someone, or intending to because of prejudice or ignorance is totally unforgivable.

Lady Euphoria Deathwatch said...

Amen

Emily Lynn G. said...

When you mentioned the torn lip ring, I instinctively reached to my lip and rubbed it and I don't even have a piercing there. It just sounds so horrible. And that bride looks beautiful, if they think that's crazy looking (not that they have any right hurting her either way) they must be incredible sheltered for thugs! I mean, how blind ARE people in these modern times?! They had to be high out of there minds. I just hope the girl heals and bride and groom enjoyed their rightly deserved honeymoon

Hexotica said...

Wow, thanks for posting, because I had actually never heard this horrible story.
I think the depravity of men who engage in this kind of bestial behavior has a lot to do with the hyper-macho images surrounding us in addition to low education and poverty, and to combat it society needs to deflate that image and counsel these types of criminals. I think woman should spearhead the movement because this is a MALE problem--I am sick of seeing stories of this nature without any emphasis that it is ALWAYS men who do this kind of shit!
And if I were in charge men would get their dicks cut off for rape.
Good thing I'm not in charge.

Ms. Lou said...

When I saw your title I hoped it was a April Fools joke. Sadly it wasn't. It makes me so upset that there are people out there who would do this sort of thing to someone else. I hope that both the bride a groom are doing well, and haven't let this incedent dampen their self expression.

daisy.fiend said...

Wow, I heard about this when I was first getting into the subculture, and I was horrified. I mean, what type of sick {I'm not even gonna call thoses guys people!} Creatures would do that!
I'm just happy the woman is okay.

pd Creator said...

Make my stomach turn. A 14 year old getting punched in the, a bride pushed down the stairs, a lip ring torn out. So tough these three F*** wits.

Who are the real freaks? I wonder!

The Green Fairy said...

This is one of the most disgusting things I've ever heard. If beating up on the bride wasn't enough, they then go and punch a 14 year old in the head? What the hell is wrong with these people?

I get so angry when I read stuff like this, then I calm myself, trying to remember that feeling angry and wanting to resort to violence is exactly the kind of behaviour the ones we are chastising would be kin to, but...


I'm seriously at a loss to understand why people do this..Like..it hurts my brain literally. I bury my head in my hands in frustration, attempting to put myself in their shoes, because as (What I consider myself to be, this is no other than my own opinion of course) a scientist and somewhat of an intellectual I feel that understanding others that are so contrasting to oneself is imperative and can hopefully result in a balanced and diverse environment where everyone in their you know...own little worlds co exist and are all happy happy joy joy blah blah (ever so eloquent today right?) but I seriously can't comprehend the inner workings of minds like these. I thought my empathy was limitless, but it really isn't. I'm completely ignorant when it comes to people like the thugs described in this story.

I feel like I need therapy just to read the news or walk down the street in my goth wear. Erghh

NoxArtemis said...

What the hell prompts people to do this to other people with absolutely no provocation? AND ON SOMEONE'S WEDDING DAY?? I can't express how I feel about this without blowing a fuse and going over the edge, so I'll just end by saying that I hope these people got what was coming to them.

Stephanie said...

Poor girl... do you know if they ever caught the guys who did it? You know, everything would be right in the world if we weren't all driven to be "separate". Why people can't just like what they like and get along with everyone is beyond me! Just because we all dress different doesn't mean anything. It's just cruel. =[

Gothic Designs said...

I had never heard this story either, it is disgraceful. I had a gothic style wedding and I could not think of anything worse than getting attacked for your attire on any day of the week let alone your wedding day!

Pavi said...

Although I honestly think the bride's outfit would have done much better without the top-hat and weddings are just annoying, noisy gatherings of people who have nothing better to do then waste their money on celebrating "love", which is not only not half intelligent but also rather disgusting, I can only agree that stopping this kind of events by pushing people down the stairs is never a good idea. It is very sad that people do things like this today.

Princess Of Darkness said...

Indeed, those men are the real satanists, and not those lovely Goths celebrating their wedding... (Although some people think Goth=evil, satanist, who knows what else...) ;-* But this is just unimaginable... The attackers are but dangerous criminals and as you've said, the appearence of the wedding people was just an excuse, in their point of view, for the violence... They must have been drunk to look for trouble... However, even most drunk of all haters of diversity would not harm in such way a 14 years old child, for God's sake... ;/- Unless, of course, he's really and utterly evil creature himself, since his actions prove him to be like that... It makes me really indignated and I feel deeply what's happened to the poor Goths there... I've also heard a story of a British Goth girl assassinated for being a Goth... That's just so terrible... :-((((((
Greetings from Poland! ;-*
A.B. (Princess Of Darkness)

eden fearn said...

im lucys sister second to the left in the picture, its so nice to hear all this support, just to informb anyone intrested, lucy and ed are very happy, the men were never caught and the investigation was never continued due to lack of cctv, they have brought and amazin baby girl in to the world scarlett lily may emmingham who is now two years old and is the most amazing clever and beautiful little girl. im so proud of my sister,bro in law and niece and it warms my heart to hear you people share your lovley comments :')

Jamie Xo Devvak said...

I seems pathetic to me that people could do that just because of what the other people look like. It's basic prejudice gone up a few notches but come on...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...