THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES

Sunday, 10 April 2011

Guest post: Is Goth a lifestyle?

Source: Photobucket

Goth has a habit of getting under people's skin when they find it, it creates a sense of belonging and at least provides some drama for us to gossip over. Some Goths like it so much they consider it a lifestyle, it's how they live their life and the subculture reflects a lot of it. Personally I don't find it's a lifestyle but to say it's simply music or a style of fashion would be wrong, it's more than that. I guess I'm sitting in the middle, it's not a lifestyle but it's more than just a piece of clothing. To me, it's form of escaping and something to write about in my blog. However, my life doesn't depend on it and I do have a few top 40 secrets on my iPod.

I personally think that too much of anything is a bad thing but it depends on what Goth does for you. For example, I use Goth to escape so as you can imagine I don't need to indulge in it 24 hours a day. However some people do feel that need, some because it makes them feel like themselves and others simply because it makes them happy. It's their choice to be happy and they took it, if it makes someone feel good then generally you shouldn't mock them. Although if it's collecting Furbies I will have to giggle. But how many of us are sat at bland desks with a bland outfit to match everyday? How many of us are poking fun of those "try hards"? How many of us are secretly jealous? I know I feel resentful of those who can wear whatever they want everyday and those who actually can be bothered.

But on the other hand I think my eye rolling is sometimes justified, in an attempt to be permanently Goth some people forget about being appropriate. Please, never assume giant foam soles will be acceptable at a funeral. Besides doesn't abstaining from Goth allow it to be more special? My dry cleaning bill would be a mile long if I wore it everyday and I'm not devoted enough, I love so many other things. My identity is not based around one single interest, I'm also a proud Feminist and secret platypus lover.

What you would define as a lifestyle anyway? And is Goth a lifestyle for you? There really isn't enough posts about this.

Amy's note (the OTHER Amy, that is...): This guest post is brought to you by Amy of Juliet's Lace, a blog I have raved about often. It was sent to me with the subject header 'Guest bloggy woggy with a froggy, it's also not foggy', which is the kind of subject header I HIGHLY approve of.

I consider myself one of those 24/7 Gothy types - if I don't bother to Goth-up in the a.m. (although I have casual days like everybody else) I feel unconfident and just, well, not me. However, trying to adjust every area of your life to make it 'more Goth' borders on silly mallgoth territory, and a T-shirt-and-jeans-day won't actually kill you. As Amy says, it depends on what Goth does for you as to how much you want to involve it in your everyday life. In other words, we're not all Adora BatBrat, and that's OK.

12 comments:

Lady Euphoria Deathwatch said...

For me it is a life style because it is the way I think. I have other interests also but I keep coming home to Goth.

Hugs, Euphoria

Julietslace said...

Bahah I thought you would appreciate the subject header :]

In the Darkness said...

I don't consider it a lifestyle for myself, but not because I don't involve it in a large portion of my life--but because people often assume that a "lifestyle" means that you all think or act the same. Granted, there are a lot of commonalities that many goths share. However, we don't all wear beautiful Victorian gowns all the time, or even like tea (actually, I do like tea--this is just for instance). I'm not against the idea of having a goth lifestyle, but I think it's important to remind non-goths that there is no such thing as a "universal goth lifestyle". Goth is what you make it. Some people shudder at the idea of having to tone their look down for work or whatnot, while others might actually be happy as weekenders. Live and let live, but please, please, don't assume we're all clones of each other! Maybe we need a new, not quie so vague or easily misunderstood word?

Shewearscrazywell said...

I'm new to your blog..but I love it. I suppose I'm goth-ish. I go into modes where I suppose I'm more goth..but at 31 years of age...I just go with the flow. :) I actually just launched my own store where I sell just kooky kinds of clothing..but I am actually feeling inspired to try my hand at victorian goth with a comfortable and washable twist. Labels narrow us to much...can't be tied in by them..but I've always been called goth by others. Hearts, Janna Lynn

daisy.fiend said...

for me it really is a Life-style. Beacuse it makes me feel cofident and happy. I consider myself a 24/7 Goth types too. My PJs have skulls, bats, and roses on them, and my "Every day" wear is mostly black-and-white tights, A black tang top, some band hoodie, a bat choker, and boots. But I'm happy to be "All-Gothed-up" 24/7. But then again I'm not TOO over the top. I'll make a post about this some time.

KatSlaughter said...

I personally feel decidedly odd in colour.. For example; back in the day when my wardrobe wasn't exclusively black, I got home from work wanting nothing more than to swap my black polyester slacks for comfy cottony pajama shorts. The first ones I pulled out happened to be purple, which combined with my emerald shirt made me feel somehow uncomfortable. I felt I had to actually change into black shorts to feel more like myself.

It is silly when you think about it.. The colour of your clothing does not change who you are. But the feeling persists nonetheless. It pleases me greatly to adorn myself and my environment with black and silver and lace; ergo I do it whenever possible. At least I don't surround myself with garden gnomes or something similarly hideous.

Emily Lynn G. said...

Great point, I agree with everything here! I have more toned down days-like the guest Amy said, abstaining from it makes it special. I'll have jeans-and-black-t-shirt "holidays" because if i constantly whip out the lace and ruffle skirts it's overkill. Then I'm like "ugh, enough!!" then I miss it again...it's a lover that always comes back!
God bless the people who have 100% subculture wardrobes though...I'm just to picky to shop much.Not much to add because i agree with the main points here :)

Anonymous said...

It is true. It's best just to be yourself, really. But if yourself happens to be a dyed-in-the-wool snarky darkling, then go for it. Personally I try to incorporate as much goth as I can into daily life. It just makes things more whimsical and exciting for my dull little existence on planet Earth. But I'm also quite proud to indulge in the sugariest of pop tunes, the loudest of power metal, and the croonings of Josh Groban. I have some bright, happy things in my wardrobe, but I always put an eccentric twist to them with accessories or makeup. I also keep a deathhawke going so I can feel gothy even in a green t-shirt and blue jeans. As long as I'm surrounded by my tastes, be they goth or otherwise, I'm pretty happy. I would suppose it's the same for most people.

Angel of Darkness said...

For me, no it's not a lifestyle, even if goth is a bigger part. I don't fit in any one box, no one does, do they? But in many others that are not always goth. My Christian area of life is in everything.

LisbethSalander said...

I like to look goth all the time,but sometimes i am in the mood to be ´´invisible'' and usually i just go all in black in Dr Martens,with makeup and jewerly ofc.I don't like to categorize my self,though.And i must tell that i am really happy to see that there are more goths who are feminists cause i am the one too,and i am very proud of it.And i have to say that i don't like some syber goth lyrics.i find them offensive.

Derek Rose said...

It is a life style, but a life style is up to the individual to decide what applies, and what does not, and at what times. For me it is a matter of separation. Anymore my cloths are custom made, but I have my G cloths that I bought before I brought on the d.i.y. to my wardrobe, and I still wear those too. There is the line for my work. My boss is launching his up and coming 3rd company, and has me on as founding member. When I am over at his home he has me wear "normal" cloths. For that I just toss on a plain pair of black Arizona jeans, black Chucks, a plain red Arizona T-Shirt, my leather crucifix bracelet, keep my hair slicked back, and I only wear mascara. When I go out to interview one of the nation's top doctors, or when there is a meeting I'm in a three piece suit, slicked hair, and mascara. When I do not have work I can spike my hair, white my skin, red and black my eyes, and wear what I consider my true attire (Goth aesthetic). Do I catch hell for being a 21 year old man looking how I do? Of coarse, but I do it for me, and it makes me feel right. It's just an extension of my soul, creativity, and mind. For me I would say it's a matter of priority.

Derek Rose said...

It is a life style, but the extent of the life style is up to the individual, and they can choose when it is right. For me the line is drawn for work. I am a founding member of boss' 3rd, new, up-and-coming company. He won't tolerate my normal appearance when I am at his home because he sees it as an uphill struggle for me to look how I do, and he doesn't think it matches my intellect. He is someone I respect, and I will not discuss it with him. When I come to his home I wear a pair of black Arizona jeans, a red Arizona T-Shirt, black Chucks, a leather crucifix bracelet, slick my hair back, and keep makeup refined to mascara. When we are out on business and I have to interview one of the nations top doctors I'm in a three piece suit, slicked back hair, and I only have on mascara.

When I have my personal time I'm in my custom made cloths, bandage jacket, spiked hair, choker, boots, and I wear my primer, foundation, concealer, mascara, and I've got my eyes done in red and black. Do I catch hell for being a 21 year old man, and looking like I do? Of coarse, and I do it because it makes me happy, and content in my own skin. It is an extension of my mind, my creativity, my soul. I do not expect other people not involved with the G thing to understand what I am doing, or why I view things the way I do, and it doesn't affect me too much since I do it for me in the first place.

It's a matter of priority for what parts of my life my Goth aesthetics tie into, and as for my Goth mentality and message... Well that is 100% in every aspect of my life. The wardrobe is my only line, and I find that to be rightfully so.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...