THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES

Friday, 15 April 2011

Shop review: Tribal Voice, Torquay, Devon

Another advance no-post warning: yes, I'm sneaking off again tomorrow! April is not a good months for daily posts... :-( but I will catch up when I get back, don't you worry...

This review may be slightly biased... I must confess to having a particular affinity for Tribal Voice. When I was much younger (as in, aged six or seven) I was on holiday with my parents when we stumbled across a shop that I firmly believe was Tribal Voice (was it even around in those days? Hell, I don't know for sure! But I'm convinced it was, I tell you, convinced!). I had never seen Goth clothes before, and after staring at rails of lace and velvet clothes in beautiful black and deep jewel tones, I picked up a cobwebbed sleeve and announced to my amused mother, "I'm going to dress like this when I'm older."

And hey, guess what? I was right!

So, anyway, when  I was on holiday in the area recently(ish), I re-discovered Tribal Voice. It's a great shop, and I managed to pick up really unusual gifts for all of my (non-Gothy) friends from their selection of interesting oddities. I loved the alternative mannequins in the window, too! (And the one on the skateboard hanging from the ceiling was pretty darn awesome).

Source: Google Images
The staff were really friendly and let me nose through a box of their new stock, as well as sharing fashion advice. The selection of clothes was good - they had everything from the currently-fashionable emo and scene style gear to old-school romantigoth dresses with layers and layers of velvet and lace (my mum bought the one that I wanted. It was quite depressing). I also spotted a collection of BeGoth dolls, and a very impressive selection of unusual accessories - the world's coolest flame-shaped wristbands, clip on horns (which I am kicking myself for not buying), etc..

There is a reasonable menswear selection too, spanning the range from hoodies and baggy bondage pants to elegant pirate shirts.

Worth dropping by, or you can check out Tribal Voice online here.

2 comments:

Ophelia Black said...

Your review of the store sounded great, but when I clicked on the link, the store had a minuscule selection. There were 4 dresses, 1 top, 2 corsets and 3 skirts, none of which was either emo or romantigoth. Are these the same items that you found in the store?

ultimategothguide said...

@ Ophelia Black - obviously the store has a larger selection :-/ I only looked through the accessories on the site. Plus I have not been to Devon for a while so I'm not bang up-to-date with what they currently have in stock.

Have just had a look and the site IS very disappointing. Sorry about that. (However, they have 4 corsets online today...)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...