THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES

Wednesday, 13 April 2011

Styles of Goth fashion: cemetery Goth

Cemetery Goth, also known as the far more pedestrian-sounding 'death Goth' is probably best described as equal parts fashion style and personality type. Most, if not all Goths, are interested in such things as mourning and funeral customs, cemeteries, coffins, hearses - not because they want to be dead, but because death and the paraphernalia that surrounds it is simply interesting. Goths are interested in the unknown - and what is less known than death? Cemetery Goth, therefore, is the embodiment of this interest, and unsurprisingly, cemetery Goths are typically tapophiles.

Source: Photobucket
As a fashion style, cemetery Goth is less defineable than 'obvious' styles such as cybergoth, deathrocker and romantigoth, all of which tend to adhere to a certain basic guideline, made unusual and original by the ideas and choices of the wearer. Unlike most other Goth styles, accent colours are rarely used - outfits are black on black with more black! Fabrics tend to be rich and heavy, such as velvet, heavy cotton, satin and brocade. Clothes usually cover most of the body; e.g. long skirts and long-sleeved blouses. The punk touches can be seen when leather or canvas jackets, heavy boots, spiked and ripped items are incorporated into the look.

Motifs relating to death are most popular, such as skulls and coffins. Roses and crosses may also add to the funereal aesthetic. The style itself typically combines elements of Victorian, romantic and punk Goth fashion - for example a ruffled blouse with a corset, flowing skirts, and torn fishnet gloves. Accessories include parasols, veils, delicate gloves, and silver or black jewellery incorporating the above motifs.

Make-up also tends to be black, although a dark crimson or purple lipstick may occasionally be used. Hair is also often dyed black. It may be kept long and ornamented with veils and hats (top hats being the most common) or spiked and backcombed in trad Goth fashion.

As well as spending time in the cemetery, reading Edgar Allen Poe, and collecting vases of dead roses (what? Doesn't everyone do that? I <3 my dead red roses, cheesy though it may be ^^), you may find a cemetery Goth attending seances (or playing with a Ouija board - although I don't recommend you try that one at home, kids. Paranoid I may be, but messing with various occult forces that I don't understand is something I DON'T do. C'mon, we've all seen The Exorcist... Ouija board jewellery, though? Awesome!), listening to classical music, or bands whose music has that certain air of grandiose melancholy, such as: Theatres Des Vampires, Apocalyptica, Diva Destruction, Fields of the Nephilim, Sopor Aeturnus & The Ensemble of Shadows and Phanatos.
Source: Photobucket
Listening to: Zwitter - Rammstein

21 comments:

Unlacing the Victorians said...

Nothing wrong with having dead red roses. They're perfect for gothic photo shoots.

Cemetery goth is probably what I am closest to if you're looking in what goes on in my brain. Love learning about mourning rituals. Love running through cemeteries listening to Apocalyptica or Emilie Autumn. Especially the song "Gloomy Sunday..." Love just taking a stroll through a cemetery. Have set up a "cemetery goth photo shoot" at a local cemetery with graves dating from the early 1800s.

Off-topic: I LOVE RAMMSTEIN!!!!!! Good listening choice. :)

Dirgesinger said...

I think I fall into this category,if any. And I love the way i am, though nobody else around me (except my husband) does.

Anonymous said...

Great article, please keep up these sorts of "goth type" posts. They are real favorites!

Mack-ATTACK said...

This blog is amazing!!! I love it!

Phoenix said...

This blog is freaking awesome, I've been looking for a blog like this for a long time. ^^

ultimategothguide said...

@ Phoenix - thanks very much! ^^

@ Mack-ATTACK - aw, thanks! =D

@ Anonymous - I will keep them up for as long as I can. I'm sure new styles are developing all the time for me to bore you with XD

Madame Bloodstone said...

Hi Amy, just wanted to say hello and thank you for following my Bloodstone Bay blog. Goth as a subculture and all its variants fascinate me, I think you've just become my go-to person for Gothical information!Looking forward to reading more of your posts.

ultimategothguide said...

@ Madame Bloodstone - hello, you're welcome, and thanks very much! ^^

Kitty Lovett; A Charming Notion said...

Wait, so I'm not the only person who listens to Theatres des Vampires?

.....8D

Also the captcha for this is "bumsoly". I lol'd.

DuskRose_Dreaming said...

Black on black on black, you say? Count me in! I love cemeteries and dead roses (no, that's NOT cheesy ;) ), so I guess I do have strong leanings towards this subtype. Cool. ^^

Lady Ruby said...

I can safely add cemetary on my list- which is now ether/ fetish/ geeky/ perky/ cemetary. -grins- jeez what is it with me and all these weird mixes?!

Anonymous said...

please keep posting these kinds of things I love seeing them and im trying to figure out what one I am so it may take awhile

MoonfacedAsh said...

Dead roses need love and care too.

MistressOfTheDecay said...

This is so me, particularly mind-wise!Appearance wise, I love Victorian, Deathrock, and of course cemetery Goth.

MistressOfTheDecay said...

EDIT:
And Romantic. Though I can't dress comepletely Romantic/Cemetery often now, so I do a milder Deathrock/Romantic look. Oh, one day I shall be able to go all out...

Anonymous said...

Very interesting read hope you do not mind my posting late but i'm curious what about goths who volunteer in cemeteries doing restorations or tours would that count towards the label of cemetery goth?

Dani DeathBiscuit said...

Sounds like me.

Then again... I am a Tapophile :3

Anonymous said...

HEY!! i luv U ur so helpful to a liddle babybat like me!!

anabelle lee said...

i wish i could be gothic...

anabelle lee said...

wish i could be gothic

anabelle lee said...


Definately my favorite. ..I love theatres des vampires. .older music and moonlit waltz...too bad sonya ruined it. But yeah I love cemetery/romantic/ and vampire goth styles.I can not stand 80''s goth

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...