THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES

Wednesday, 11 May 2011

Midnight's Daughter

Parajunkee's View Vampire Reading Challenge, Review #8 - Midnight's Daughter by Karen Chance

I have been bought three copies of this book by assorted friends and family, so obviously fate was quite determined for me to end up reading it. I wonder what it is about me that makes me appear a suitable candidate for reading a novel with a title like 'Midnight's Daughter'? ;-)

Source: Google
As a huge fan of Karen Chance's Cassandra Palmer series, I couldn't help comparing them with this new series, set in the same urban-fantasy world with warring mage, fey and vamp heirarchies. I missed my favourite character from the Cassie series, unstable war mage John Pritkin, and to be honest none of the secondary characters in Midnight's Daughter were up to taking his place.

But never mind, our dhampir (half-vampire) protagonist Dory is dynamic enough to carry a storyline, I did find her overly badass attitude grating after  while but that's probably because, being at heart a conservative little old lady, I tend to frown and shuffle in my seat a bit when introduced to characters who smoke copious amounts of weed.

I liked that Chance balanced out the negative aspects of Dory's character (some serious anger management issues, excessive violence, inability to behave civilly towards most people, and occasional abuse of sarcasm) with good points such as her intense loyalty, determination and basic desire not to kill a whole bunch of innocent people in one of her unstoppable dhampir rages.

The reader is drawn in by Dory's fear for her kidnapped friend and roommate, Claire - her determination to save Claire at all costs endears her to us, aided by the fact that Claire, as seen through Dory's eyes, is the kind of person the reader does not wish to see harmed.

Dory's master vampire father, Mircea, is a familiar character for Cassandra Palmer fans, although we see a different side to him here than the seductive, charismatic romantic interest. The task which he sets Dory, which she accepts to learn information that will lead her to Claire, is to capture his out-of-control psycho-vamp brother Dracula, potentially a suicide mission in which she is aided by hot vamp swordsman Louis-Cesare, whom I thought was a great romantic interest until he wanders off out of the country in the last chapter. I think what bothers me about this is the fact that Dory doesn't seem affected by his disappearance in any way, shape, or form, which despite how tough she is, struck me as unrealistic.

This is an energetic read with several well-thought-out characters which make it less of a cookie-cutter urban fantasy, however I still don't feel it's on the same level as the Cassandra Palmer books. If you want to give Karen Chance a try, I recommend you start with those.

Goth gossip: Did anyone see QI on Dave last night? If you missed the highly amusing Goth-themed episode, you can find it on YouTube here. I think it shows the kind of amused affection that a sizeable proportion of middle-aged British people hold for the eccentricities of Goth counterculture.

1 comments:

Orillia & Pandora said...

I adore this book! Karen Chance is one of my favourite authors, though I think I like her Cassandra stories more then this one.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...