THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES

Saturday, 28 May 2011

Notes on 'Goth fashion style' posts

I know that my 'styles of Goth fashion' posts are my most popular, but it occurred to me upon reading a few comments that I should probably post a few caveats relating to these so that they can be taken in context.

  1. Not every Goth fits into a pre-existing 'form' of Goth fashion, e.g. cyber, romantic, deathrock etc. Some may like to mix and match from day-to-day, some create their own hybrid styles, some take inspiration from or regularly dress in other alt fashions such as Visual Kei or Lolita. Which is why you may not be able to decide what kind of Goth you or someone else may be; the look in question does not fit neatly into a pre-defined style subset.
  2. You don't have to fit the mould of any particular 'type' of Goth fashion to be accepted in the Goth community. See above. This is a personal choice thing; if you really like one particular style and it suits you, that's great - if not, no big deal.
  3. Even if you have chosen a particular subset, you don't have to dress that way every day. Feel like swapping your deathrock chains and spikes for an elegant gown or even a pink faerie outfit? Well, why the hell not? Alternative and Gothic fashion is supposed to be FUN, VERSATILE, INTERESTING and oh yeah, didn't you choose to dress this way because you LIKE IT? So do whatever the hell you like! Yes, I would dress up in Sweet Lolita and still attend Goth nights and refer to myself as Goth, because the majority of my interests and tastes line up with those of the Goth community. This is a counterculture, not a dress code. No one is going to kick you out for breaking the rules. Because there aren't any rules.
Well, that pretty much sums up what I wanted to say. For every newcomer to the scene who's trying to work out 'which style they fit into', don't worry too much. Just take inspiration from wherever suits you and roll with it.

Oh, and for the Gothlings who have been asking what 'Goth type' I personally identify with, I'm definitely one of the mix-and-matchers. Temperament-wise, it's perkygoth all the way, but fashionwise it varies.

Source: Drac In A Box
P.S. Yesterday was Siouxsie Sioux's birthday!

P.P.S. Yes, I will stop being a tease and do a new fashion style post soon. ;-)

P.P.S. Giveaway is now closed! Winner will be drawn tomorrow...

14 comments:

Bathory Doll said...

You're absolutely right. There are people who feel like Gothic and labeled but I believe that, in addition to feel, you have to be yourself and wear what you like.

I loved the post, it's a very interesting topic.

PS: Sorry if I didn't understand something well, is that I'm Spanish and I can hardly read English xD

Jamie said...

So very true! I never understood people who act like you have to limit yourself to one-some days I feel like donning an ankle-length lace skirt, satin corset, and velvet jacket-and some days I want to wear one yellow and black striped sock and one black and pink striped sock, a pink tutu, and pigtails. It all depends on your mood-and there's nothing wrong with loving multiple types of goth! (That said, I love the fashion style posts-they are awesome.)

Anonymous said...

exatally i`m a mixx of stuff and I feel comfrotible with it. And I say if you don`t feel nice or whatever in what you wear then it is not for you. and Jamie the first outfit sounds beautiful just saying. ;) *Fae*

Brooke said...

Sorry for being off-topic (again), but were you aware that Voltaire was on the show Oddities? :O

katysioux said...

I usually prefer the fancier, Victorian inspired style, but sometimes I just feel more casual. That's when I usually wear punkier stuff with zippers and buckles and such. But it's always fun to take various styles and motifs and interpret them with a gothic sensibility.

Heartagram Lady ♥ said...

I'm glad you clear things up, because I'm a babybat and I loooove Romantigoth, but my friends say that I look more like a deathrocker, so... yeah :P Oh, btw, I was hoping maybe you could help me a little bit, if you have the time (and you want to). I have a blog (thanks for following me, btw), but I'm not exactly an expert here and I wanted to make it look better, with stuff like the header you have with the "I've been expecting you" image, but I don't know how to do that. Could you give me some tips? Thanks a lot! (:

Kitty Lovett; A Charming Notion said...

Yesterday was also Christopher Lee's birthday. Christopher Lee played, yes, Dracula and Saruman, but also voiced Death in all but one of the terry pratchett adaptions. 8>

ultimategothguide said...

@ Brooke - Ooh, sounds interesting, I will go and investigate! Thanks for letting me know ^^

@ Heartagram Lady - I also am not very good with web design etc., I cheated and used a ready-made one from Pimp-My-Profile.com, which is where the image and everything came from...

@ Kitty - Squee! <3

Desdemona said...

Hear hear. My boyfriend has referred to me as schizo, but he meant as far as my wardrobe goes. I go between romantic goth, fetish goth, classic lolita and sweet lolita (though I throw on as many black accents as possible to make it darkish cute ^^)
Though I can see why those new to the fashion would get a little confused. I had my personal style crisis at 15. I still wore general clothing but with a few accents because I couldn't make up my mind, nor did put I much thought into clothing back then -cough-pinkhighschoollookingsweaterwithbigspikedcollar- it was terrible X3

VictorianAndroid said...

I think that's one of the things I love about Goth, there are so many styles that you don't have to be limited to one kind of look. My favorite styles are Victorian and Cybergoth and some days I find myself trying to categorize myself into one type of style. This is a great reminder that it's okay for me to have intrests in all different styles.

InfiltratorN7 said...

Good post. We are drawn to this subculture because (well one of the many reasons!) we want to be ourselves and not be forced into a style that doesn't click with us. Why then try to force yourself into another box? I've tried more than one gothy style myself and certainly when it comes to personality and interests then I do crossover a lot of styles. Do what makes you happy, provided it is not harming yourself or anyone else.

Rissa said...

Goth fashion is something I try every now and then in addition to my other loves: Kpop fashion, freestyle fashion. It all depends on my mood. My favorite goth style so far is gothic lolita. I am thinking to expand into other goth styles as well.

Anonymous said...

Sometimes I like wearing long skirts, fancy blouses, and lacy gloves. Other times I like to wear black t-shirts, black jeans, and long gloves with buckles. It's really fun to mix and match and experiment with styles. It's always something unique.

DovahKitteh said...

im curious as to what you would label me as, mostly because im not to sure myself. my dress is that of punk, and nerdy goth mostly. but i wear cat ears and tail everyday like so,
http://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/543075_321048541283750_1165605121_n.jpg

and

http://theodorafur.com/yahoo_site_admin/assets/images/silver_fox_tail.357121534_std.JPG

what would you call me?
p.s. i love this Blog, you're very entertaining and helpful.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...