THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES

Thursday, 26 May 2011

Spooky blog round-up, the first

Sharp-eyed darklings amongst you may have noticed the poll at the top right... I'm trying to collect some feedback to get a clue as to which of my new ideas for posts you guys might me interested in - interviews with other Goths from around the world; fashion inspirations; band profiles; myths and legends; music recommendations for new or classic bands worth checking out; home decor and gardening posts, etc! The poll is open for a week, I'm also always open to any random suggestions, just drop me a comment. I may not be able to pull together a post (or series of posts) straight away but all ideas and requests are appreciated, researched and considered. ^^

Right, that's enough rambling on for a moment! My pretty poll shows me that a sizeable few of you would be interested in a blog round-up - links to great posts I've discovered on other people's blogs whilst strolling (not trolling) through the internets. There are some people that I really admire on Blogger and in other places online, whether for their personal style, their content, their dedication or simply their excellent taste, and I hope to introduce you to some of these, as well as pointing you in the direction of some seriously under-appreciated up-and-coming spooky bloggers.

May I please note that, in typical lazy fashion, I have not actually asked any of these people permission to link to their posts; neither are they affiliated with me or I with them - this is basically just stuff I think is awesome that you should go read. Please enjoy.

Source: Tumblr
Why yes, I AM saving up for a pair of ballerina boots <3
First off, I'd like to mention Sophistique Noir's latest explosion of genius, Red & Black Week, which, oh yes, I will be participating in in a BIG way. I'm already concocting plans - and you should too, fellow bloggers. More Gothy blogging events please, darklings!

And another of the usual suspects, Amy at Juliet's Lace has penned a fab post about what she has learned from her time as a Goth; I'm thinking of this post as 'a bunch of things I wish someone had told me when I was a fourteen-year-old floundering babybat'.

I have recently begun to read If Alice Were Into Platforms... and particularly enjoyed the post about how to decide which alternative subculture suits you and your lifestyle the best. Personally, one of the reasons I enjoy Goth so much is the versatility - I enjoy experimenting with other alternative fashions (currently I'm fascinated with decora, for example) and finding ways to incorporate elements of other styles into my Goth look, which makes posts like this doubly interesting to me.

I don't know about you, but some of the blogs I really enjoy are those that give me an insight into the lives (and outfits!) of other spooky types around the world, which is why I like Serenity's blog. My favourite post to date shows pictures of Serenity growing up - some of us joke about being 'born Goth', but it seems that some of us actually were!

Kitty Lovett's Bloggery of a Gothcat is always interesting, but I found this recent guest post by an anonymous darkling a little shocking. Those of us who manage to hold down jobs whilst still revelling in the darker side of life should think ourselves lucky...

Kitty's friend Sary also had an excellent post recently, discussing how the details of an alternative outfit are the difference between an average get-up and an amazing one. I couldn't agree more, Sary! And speaking of fashion, the aptly named Alternative Fashion Blog contains a rather thought-provoking post about military influences in subcultural style and when they are and are not acceptable.

I'm sure that fellow Emilie Autumn fans will read this mini-series of guest posts at Unlacing the Victorians with a mixture of relish and horror - a neo-Victorian girl's real-life experiences inside an asylum, echoing EA's own tome The Asylum For Wayward Victorian Girls. You can begin at the beginning right here.

Which town mayor is afraid of Goths, even going so far as to set up a curfew to deter 'intimidating' Goth teens? Find out over at Siouxsie Law, here!

Lastly, to finish this round-up, check out some gorgeous make-up designs from Glum Plum, who has caused me to re-write two of my personal caveats: 1) don't draw all over your face with eyeliner and 2) especially not with kohl pencil - UNLESS you are Kelli, who manages to look decadent and elegant, and not as though she has scribbled on her face with crayon, which is what usually happens when young Goths try this. Go Kelli!

Thanks to everyone mentioned above; I hope you don't mind my shameless linking. I would just like to note that LINKS DIE, please check out these posts while this is 'fresh', URLs change and people go offline all the time, apologies to future readers who may miss out on some of this blogtastic awesomeness.

Why yes, I DID have a Malibu and Coke at a party before writing this post; I am not normally quite this exuberant.

22 comments:

Tenebris In Lux said...

I'm interested in the interview idea, but how would you do interviews for someone who might not be close by? Probably a email/chat system of sorts, I'm assuming ..

ultimategothguide said...

@ Tenebris In Lux - I have noted that some of my fellow blogging Goths are located in quite far-flung places, so I have a not-so-secret plan to ask around and see who would be up for an e-mail interview. I interviewed Ellen Schreiber for Mookychick by email and it wasn't as awkward as you might think.

Daisy Fiend said...

Cool post :)
Thanks for helping me find some goods sites, haha.

Bixie Willow said...

I actually wrote a post about the Cuyahogo Falls' Mayor too.(http://goth-to-goth.webs.com/apps/blog/show/6644298-cuyahoga-falls-mayor-afraid-of-goths)I'm happy to find out I'm not the only one who comes across those little news stories. :)
PS. Loved the post! I'm always looking for other blogs to check out.

SiouxsieL said...

I voted! And thanks for the shout out. This is a great idea, by the way -- its always fun to find new stuff to check out.

GlumPlum said...

Thanx for the shout-out too :) I also like looking at all the different blogs you also posted. You definately have to this again.
-Kelli <3

Cressidaluvsdeath said...

Hi Amy! I would love to see some more fashion stuff! I have two things though.

Can I wear Invader Zim t shirts without looking like a goth poser? The shirts are usually light colored so maybe a perky goth approach?

Also, at Hot Topics online store, I noticed they have Demonata boots. Yes yes Hot Topic is my supplyer for all things Invader Zim!

~Cressida

Kitty Lovett; A Charming Notion said...

I was mentioned! I feel loved. :3

I emailed you about the fact YOU WIN STUFF. You need to email me back, dammot.

Psycho Monkey said...

I'm glad you're telling more people about those sites. It's cool to find other interesting blog posts. I also kind of want to go to Ohio all dressed up in my cyber gear lol.

ultimategothguide said...

@ Kitty - I won stuff?! Damn, I missed that! CHECK EMAILS MORE OFTEN!!!

Will e-mail back asap. Sorry!

Jacqueline said...

I always thought ballerina boots were really cool ever since I saw them in this video (at least similar) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QKntY8WkNYQ
but they seem hard to get around in. Do you just get used to them, or is it like a once-in-a-special-occasion kinda thing?

ultimategothguide said...

@ Jacqueline - I assume it takes practise and training to walk in them, a bit like tightlacing one's corset. I would also assume that frequent wearings would play merry hell with your feet. Fun for photoshoots, and worn for clubbing a couple times a year, would be my suggestion.

Zellain said...

I really look forward to Sophistique Noir's Red & Black week. I think I'll do a few themed posts myself in the spirit of it.

That story on Bloggery of a Gothcat was so sad and gutting. I do hope her friend has the opportunity to relocate to a more accepting area in the future. No one should be treated like that.

KatSlaughter said...

Thanks for the links, they were great. I don't have a lot of time to follow many blogs so it's most convenient when you say "oh this is cool, go look at it."

Ms. Lou said...

I love the Red and Black week idea to!

Sophistique Noir said...

Thanks for the shout-out, and for posting about my Red & Black Week. I'm really looking forward to seeing everyone's posts on it!

I love this list of blogs - I'll be following all of them, if I am not already! :)

Sophistique Noir - Dark, Elegant Fashion

Ethan said...

cool stuff, check out this:
http://guccigoth.tumblr.com/

Ivy said...

i loved this because i can never seem to find good bloggers until people point them out to me. thanx for the links!

InfiltratorN7 said...

That guest post on Kitty Lovet's blog I can totally empathise with. Some schools I've gone to work in were really bitchy behind my back once they realised I was a goth (they'd seen me out in my gothic finery on a weekend). They said I'd be a bad influence on the children - I dressed and behaved professionally in my role so their comments were plain nonsense.

You'll find even when you grow up there are still those who think and behave like they're back in high school and not like the mature adults they think they are. It can be very hit and miss with work environments. Some can be awful, isolating and stifling while others are friendly, open and communicative.

InfiltratorN7 said...

Ballerina boots? They look stupid and impractical. But then I never understood why people wear high heels either. I'm all about practical footwear.

ultimategothguide said...

And I love them just because they're so impractical. ^^

Anonymous said...

Oh, those ballerina boots make my feet hurt just looking at them. I would love to see someone wearing them though. I think they would look great on you, Amy.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...