THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES

Sunday, 29 May 2011

Styles of Goth fashion: electric Goth

The term 'electric Goth' was coined by Vancouver fashion designer Nyla, creatrix of the stunning label House of Nyla, to describe her own line. In a 2006 interview for Gothic Beauty Magazine, Nyla explained, "I embrace wild eccentric colours! The energy most likely started from the fetish parties, being around the Goth scene from the age of 18. I am very drawn to the darkness and the mystic. Goth girls from around the world have somehow picked up on my own vibrant reflection of the scene. They identify with my designs, giving me acknowledgement and support along the way.

"Electric Goth [...] gave me the freedom to express my Gothic style in electric colours and create my own niche." (Interestingly, House of Nyla has been featured in mainstream fashion rag Elle and on Canada's Next Top Model... Goth gets everywhere.)

Some of Nyla's designs... I love the dress on the far left!
Image: House of Nyla
The bright colours of Nyla's designs are occasionally echoed by other wearers of Goth fashion. Though they are likely to be unaware of such a little-known term as the designer's phrase 'Electric Goth', they are representing the style through exotic colours teamed with traditional Goth fashion touches such as corsets, fishnets, boots and frills.

Of course, the other Goth style known for its use of vibrant colour is cybergoth, which bears very little resemblance to this particular incarnation of Goth style. The colours are often richer than the neons associated with cybergoth; the fabrics may be more luxurious. Electric Goth outfits are usually less skimpy and more elegant than cyber clothing. Patterns such as paisley and leopard print are seen, as are clashing or strongly contrasting colours.

Accessories may vary depending on the preferences of the wearer; for example, Nyla's designs are often pictured with tiny top hats, but the lady pictured below has put her own spin on electric Goth style, adding a deathrock-y vibe with enormous customised boots and a skeleton-hand hairclip. Make-up should perhaps be kept simple to offset the vividness of the outfit.

This subset offers a lot of room for personal interpretation, and its colourful aesthetic might be useful for young Gothlings needing to put their families at ease with their Goth style.
Source: Tumblr
ALSO, for some reason I can't post comments on other blogs at the moment, so here is some stuff I really wanted to say:

1. The Green Fairy - I do read your blog! Every post! I swear!

2. Kitty Lovett - can I put in a future request for one of those jackets in your latest outfit post? I have no money right now but it is freaking gorgeous and I would really like to buy one when I have the cash (soon)!

11 comments:

MissGracie said...

Such a neat idea! I love the blue and pink outfit. To me it seems very 1920s inspired.

Tenebris In Lux said...

Intersting. I like Goths who aren't afraid of color!

Sara said...

Big like!

Serenity said...

Same here. For some reason, I can't post comments either. It's really annoying. :[ <3!

akumaxkami said...

Very interesting!

Maeam said...

Oh, jeez. Not my style at ALL. Too many colors! XD

siouxsiel said...

I am working up to wearing more red. By the way, I noticed a site that is using your posts. You posted about a similar thing happening before. I'm not sure if you are affiliated with this site or not. But in case not, I thought you would want to know. Feel free to email me siouxsielaw@gmail.com

Jamie said...

Oh, yay-since PerkyGoth is mainly pink, I've been looking for something to call it when I mix turquoise, lime green, or bright electric blue with my blacks and grays, and I think I've found it! Nyla is an amazing designer, and I fiercely covet the third dress from the right-the pink and blue is so cute, and I love the drapey layered skirt.

The Green Fairy said...

Yay! Thanks, I needed the ego boost you lovely lady ^_^

Anonymous said...

Amy your style posts are amazing! i'm always anticipating what you'll write about next :] keep up the good work!

Anonymous said...

i'd love to see a post on bubblegum goth style!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...