THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES

Tuesday, 3 May 2011

Styles of Goth fashion: Industrial Goth

In the murky waters between the closely-linked subcultures of Industrial and Goth, this subset lurks. These Goths do not consider themselves rivetheads, but are simply Goths who are strongly affiliated with and interested in Industrial music, fashion and culture - and thus the Industrial Goth is born.

Rivethead culture is often described as a subgenre of Goth; this is actually incorrect. The Industrial subculture is CLOSE to the Goth subculture but not the same thing. Rivetheads are followers of Industrial, Goths are followers of Goth; Industrial Goth is a subgenre of Goth heavily influenced by Industrial fashion and music, and probably what a lot of people are actually referring to when they decribe 'rivetheads' as a subset of Goth. I think that just about made sense...

With Goth's typical flamboyance, the Industrial Goth may add many details to the often simple, dystopian canvas of rivethead fashion, possibly with hints of a cyber or more traditional Goth aesthetic. Whilst a rivethead may wear other simple, neutral colours such as grey, white and khaki, the Industrial Goth colour palette is, unsurprisingly, mainly black and other dark colours, particularly red, purple and poison green.

The Industrial Goth may also dress in a more 'showy' manner than the rivethead and is unlikely to be seen in a simple flight jacket and army fatigues, although some do prefer a more basic, Industrial-esque look. Slick, futuristic materials such as rubber and PVC give a nod to fetish fashion; corsets and enormous multi-buckled boots show off those Goth roots; goggles and gas masks scream of cyber inspirations. Even deathrock and horror themes may raise their head with fake blood and wounds occasionally being sported for concerts and club events.

Hairstyles may range from the rivethead-inspired undershaves (or completely shaven), to more cyber-esque falls, although usually in a more restrained palette than the blinding neons associated with cyber style. Contact lenses are popular for clubbing and other events, often with Industrial-inspired designs such as circuitry or biohazard symbols etched on them. Make-up tends to be darker, heavier and more 'traditionally Goth' than the simplistic styles of the rivetgirl or the yellows and pinks of the cybergoth.
Source: Vampire Freaks
Music associated with the Industrial Goth ranges from Industrial to EBM to Goth and darkwave, possibly incorporating some Industrial or cyber metal. Popular bands include: Combichrist, KMFDM, Skinny Puppy, Nine Inch Nails, Ministry, Wumpscut, Front Line Assembly, Nachtmahr.

Listening to: Fix - Aesthetic Perfection

3 comments:

Kitty Lovett; A Charming Notion said...

Industrial goths and industrial-cyber goths tend to be the most alphagoth. "You shouldn't wear that. It's not goth." My ex used to say to me. I looked him up and down and would say, "Yours is based on a reality that *hasn't happened yet*." They tend to be up themselves, I find. I don't like them. x3

Maeam said...

Oh, yeahhh. One of my favorite styles~ The industrial gothic subset (I guess that word works...?) is one of the first I got into after old school...

InfiltratorN7 said...

This is my favourite subset. I seem to be somewhere between industrial goth and rivethead in style. I like a palette of blacks, greys and khaki and little to no make-up. I can't get enough of industrial and darkwave music and as I've got older EBM has really grown on me. I find this style suits me best as I'm more interested in sci-fi and stories about dystopian futures than I am in gothic fantasy and horror. I'm much happier reading the likes of HG Wells, Jules Verne and George Orwell than I am reading Bram Stoker, Mary Shelley and the Bronte sisters.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...