THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES

Wednesday, 25 May 2011

The Vampire's Masquerade Ball

Hey guys - if it looks like I've unfollowed you it's just because Blogger is being ridiculous; I WAS following a whole bunch of great blogs when I logged on at lunchtime but now I'm told 'you are not currently following any blogs'. Hopefully this is a temporary thing!

The Vampire's Masquerade Ball - well, it is what it sounds like. A Gothic/Industrial event, full of diversity, which is reflected by the varying costumes of the attendees - romantigoth, deathrock, fetish, industrial, Victorian, Edwardian, steampunk, and many more. The website states, "Using "vampire" in the name is meant to touch on dark romanticism and elegance, having an appreciation for all that we find beautiful in the gothic community. While this event is not put on by the vampyre community itself, to date they have been very supportive and are very welcome to attend."

The event debuted on June 7, 2002, at Portland's Gothic nightclub, the Back Room. From the first incarnation, club organizers Teri and Chris Hartgrove envisioned an annual event that would be a special occasion for regulars and newcomers alike. That night, resident DJ Faux Pas played to nearly 100 guests, and the success of the Ball ensured plans for the following year. On October 24, 2003, the Back Room again hosted the VMB with DJs Faux Pas, Inveigle, and Curatrix, and entertained a crowd of 200.

In November of 2004, the Back Room closed its doors, but the Vampire's Masquerade Ball was not forgotten. Teri and Chris turned the event over to Lady Raven, who re-created it on a much grander and more elegant scale. On March 12, 2005, Lady Raven presented the third VMB at the Scarlet Ballroom, with DJs Horrid and Curatrix, live performances, vendors, and 'an atmosphere of romantic decadence' that drew over 300 visitors from Portland, Seattle, and beyond.

Lady Raven
Source: Vampire's Ball Gallery
Over 500 guests attended the 5th event and the success of the evening and the grandeur of the venue - the Melody Ballroom - meant it also hosted the 2008 VMB, which was written up, in detail, in issue 23 of Gothic Beauty Magazine.

The event is still running annually in Portland; it now boasts 800 guests each year. There is an enforced dress code, so do not pack your flip-flops. Highlights of this event include the beautiful chandelier-decorated ballroom at the Melody, where the event is still held, the array of fab DJs, and a midnight waltz in which the guests are encouraged to participate.

6 comments:

VictorianKitty said...

Oh yes, I could look at those photo galleries all day long! It's your fault if I get fired for not getting enough work done today. :)

Sophistique Noir - Dark, Elegant Fashion

Ashlee said...

Well, I know where I'm going in four years.

undderb said...

Sounds like a fun event. Hopefully I'll be go there sometime soon.

Lady Ruby said...

Sounds cool. How do I get in touch with the person who runs it so I can do something like that here? -grins- In all seriousness though, I wish Vancouver had more cool events. Idea! Brainwave! Why not do special articles on various cities around the world and hwo they see goth? Events, culture, the whole kit and caboodle!

ultimategothguide said...

@ VictorianKitty - well, I keep reading your blog when I'm supposed to be working so I guess this makes us even...

@ Lady Ruby - thanks for the suggestion - sounds similar to Gothic Beauty's annual dark cities survey (in a good way). I will definitely look into doing such a thing!

Anonymous said...

Aaaaaaiiiiiiiiiiieeeeee! Sorry guys, that was just my scream of delight at finding out that this is in Portland. I live in Portland! And I never even heard of it! I shall now proceed to laugh manically about the discovery of an annual goth event so close to me.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...