THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES

Wednesday, 1 June 2011

Bento for Goths

I don't know if any of you guys are like me - seriously addicted to all things cute? Pink things, fluffy things, sparkly things, pretty much anything you'd find on Must Have Cute? If it's cute AND spooky, I'm catapulted into a world of glee that my black little heart can barely contain.

Heard of bento? Eating bento lunches (Japanese-style packed lunches, often arranged in an aesthetically pleasing way, even designed to look like cute characters, tableaus, or almost anything you can think of) is one of the relatively-new fads from Japan catching on all over the world, and after drooling over Hello Kitty sushi and Halloween-themed bento on Must Have Cute, today I nipped out on my lunchbreak and bought my first bento box. I'm a fussy eater, and I figured I was more likely to eat sandwiches or whatever if they were cut into heart or coffin shapes...

Bento usually contains Japanese diet staples like rice, nori (seaweed), fish and some form of meat, as well as lots of vegetables so a bento lunch is actually pretty good for you. I'm usually not a big eater of meat or bread, but have already incorporated both into my first bento lunch (for tomorrow). Best of all, anybody can make bento, as it requires no cooking skills whatsoever - although you may need a little patience if you intend to do fiddly little faces on your food with nori.

If you're worried that carrying a plastic lunchbox around with you will ruin your Goth cred, fear not. You can get boxes with skulls or tribal designs on; even special bags to carry your bento box in, some of which, of course, are tailored for those with a darker aesthetic.

What about the food itself? Well, check out the designs that I found on Google Images below for some of the Gothiest meals a spooky kid could ever eat...




23 comments:

NinaRevenant said...

So cute!!!

GlumPlum said...

These are adorable! They make me wish I wasn't allergic to sushi :( The little ghosts are just too cute!! :)

akumaxkami said...

Oh wow, those are adorable!

MissGracie said...

I LOVE SUSHI THINGS. I want to look into making Japanese food. I could easily eat rice everyday and be completely satisfied.

Nenedhel said...

These are tooo cute <3

Anonymous said...

they are so cute and i love sushi !! <3 :D

Boots said...

I have a red hello kitty bento box, and I love it. I don't think it's hurting my street cred too much ;) Bento boxes make you actually want to eat healtheir for some reason, I always pack it with snap peas, fruit and crackers. ^^

Maeam said...

Thanks for showing this!! I love Japanese food (SO HEALTHY!), but forgot all about making crafty, edible bento meals!! XD

E said...

Oh my goodness, those carrot jack-o'-lanterns are so darling!

ultimategothguide said...

@ Nenedhel - I believe we've met... you possibly don't remember me, but we met on the city tour at DV8 Fest in 2010. Nice to see you. =)

Tenebris In Lux said...

I'll have to try that sometime! I loved the skull ^__^

Angel of Darkness said...

Oh my goodness! There so CUTE!!!! I love it! :D

Adalis Stargazing said...

I so want to try making them, adorable!

Sophistique Noir said...

haha! Totally adorable. I am in love with the rice ghosties! :)

Sophistique Noir - Dark, Elegant Fashion

SiouxsieL said...

The ghosts are so cute. I love the little bottle of soy sauce they are carrying along with them.

Ms. Lou said...

OMG! The ghosts are so adorable I could eat them up!

NoxArtemis said...

. . . Gurrrrrrrrl, that's awesome. AWESOME! Surprised I've never seen anything of its kind in goth-dom. Glad you posted it first!! Now I want some Japanese cuisine.

Audronasha The Countess said...

Oh, I love bento. I try to make it for my lunch as often as I can :)
here's mu blog for bento. you can check it.

Can I have your bento?

I have some bento boxes and ordered a pink one too :D
Bento helped me to get from size L to size S :P
I make it for my BF too :D But without the cute stuff...if I can :)

Shi said...

Oh wow, aren't they just adorable?... I think my problem would be that they would be too cute to eat!

Chloƫ Noir said...

Gosh thats sooooo kawaii :D :D
i don´t think I would be able to eat it..its just too cute :D
but its a great idea...maybe I will try something like this for a goth picik. :D

Sticky Pear said...

Hi
I think i should call you Amy?
I was wondering if you did a bento box Thingy Ma bob and posted it on pinterest. I was just wondering.
From ten yr old tegan

InfiltratorN7 said...

I love Japanese food. I particularly enjoy eating the bento box meals. In Japanese restaurants these are lacquered boxes without lids and all the food is divided into little compartments. ^_^ The food is delicious too. I haven't tried making my own bento box lunches, though have had sushi for lunch frequently in the past. Maybe I should try making one. I've gotten a bit bored with lunch lately.

Laura said...

KAWAIIIII! I love bentos! They are cute and tasty, not to mention healthy! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...