THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES

Sunday, 26 June 2011

Diary of a Wimpy Vampire: Prince of Dorkness

Parajunkee's View Vampire Challenge, Review #10 - Diary of a Wimpy Vampire: Prince of Dorkness by Tim Collins

Warning: may contain spoilers

"You see all those vampire fans mooning around with their pale foundation and black clothes, but if they had any idea what it's really like, they'd jack it all in and take up stamp collecting instead," - Nigel Mullet.

Having only read a couple of chapters of Diary of a Wimpy Kid, the series that this mash-up by Tim Collins affectionately mocks, I can still say, unfortunately, that I prefer the Wimpy Kid to the Wimpy Vampire. Unfortunately-named teen vamp Nigel Mullet has that whiny, pseudo-intellectual Adrian Mole thing going on, which got on my nerves after, oh, three pages. However, I read almost the whole thing with a smile on my face.

Prince of Dorkness is the second book in this series, and I picked it up in the library whilst looking for some light-hearted reading material for a train journey. It is certainly a long stretch from the beautiful, romantic, dangerous vampires of Anne Rice and Poppy Z. Brite - Nigel is squeamish about biting people and prefers to have his vampire parents fetch blood for him; also his trials and tribulations include P.E. lessons, trying to stop his girlfriend Chloe getting ideas from paranormal romance novels, and acne.

The main plot concerning Nigel's rivalry with unibrowed werewolf Jason was, for me, certainly not the best or funniest part of the book - I preferred random comic moments such as Nigel losing his vampire powers when about to perform a supernatural acrobatic routine at the school talent show, the school Goth gang discovering religion, and cringing at the excerpts from Nigel's attempts at writing vampire fiction.

Nigel, despite being massively annoying, is oddly endearing - I expect most teens with siblings will be able to empathise with his family 'troubles', whether they drink blood or not. However, books like Prince of Dorkness demonstrate aptly how much vampire fiction has changed since the pre-Twilight era - Bram Stoker wouldn't know what to make of it!

Nonetheless, overall a very funny book. Despite the title I still feel it has more in common with the Adrian Mole series than the Wimpy Kid books, but young fans of vampire-lite cheesy fun such as Vampire Kisses are likely to enjoy it. Not the best I've read for this challenge, but it made me laugh out loud a couple of times and certainly wasn't bad.

3 comments:

Mr Lonely said...

nice blog... have a view of my blog when free.. http://www.lonelyreload.com (A Growing Teenager Diary) .. do leave me some comment / guide if can.. if interested can follow my blog...

Unlacing the Victorians said...

Sounds like a vampire story that even I would enjoy. :)

Nina @ Death Books and Tea said...

I was wondering if they were going to bring in a werewolf...I've only read the first one. I think it is an intersting take on vampires though, even if not too serious or deep. Glad you liked it a bit, if not too much.
Nina xxx

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...