THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES

Saturday, 4 June 2011

Goths terrorised, assaulted, robbed and mutilated - and we're the weirdos?!

Apologies for missing a day... just had a completely rubbish day and had to go rant in my (handwritten) diary rather than blog anything. We all get those days, right?!

God, darklings, there is so much exciting stuff on other people's blogs at the moment - can't wait for my next blog round-up. ;-) However, there is one thing I can't resist linking to straight away - a mindblowing post over at Siouxsie Law, wherein a teenage girl's murder conviction is overturned because the court used evidence of her Goth dress and lifestyle to "impugn the girl's character by suggesting she held satanic beliefs." (P.S. Satanists? Generally not murderers either, just FYI.) Can't even find words to comment on this, so please go read it for yourselves.

This girl likes to dress differently.
This does not mean she is a murderer.
Or deserves to be a victim.
Source: YouTube
Since we're already on a shocking subject, allow me to present to you possibly the most frightening story regarding treatment of Goths I have come across since Sophie Lancaster. First, the facts:

In June 2009, A group of approximately 20 Goths were having a barbeque in Rothwell Country Park in Leeds (England), listening to music and having fun to celebrate a teenager's birthday.

Three self-described chavs, namely Andrew Hall, then aged 22, Ryan Woodhead 18, and Quinn Colley, also 18 (who was already on bail for an attack at the same location, during which he fractured a youth's jaw), who had, according to the Yorkshire Post, previously "demonstrated 'vitriolic hatred' to the emos and moshers known for their dark clothing and make-up".

These three 'men' were near the park when the Goths arrived, and began to shout abuse at them. Hall drove his scooter towards them to threaten them, with the others riding pillion.

Then, the trio made a plan to assault and rob the Goth group. They returned to where the group had gathered, pretending to be peaceful and making false apologies for their earlier behaviour. The group were polite and welcoming, and soon the three chavs were sitting with them and sharing a drink. Hall even took several members of the group to buy cigarettes and alcohol on his scooter.

Once they had gained the Goths' trust, they then offered to take Paul Gibbs, the oldest of the group, to buy beer. But once they were out of sight of the Goth group, Hall stopped his scooter and his cohorts assaulted Mr Gibbs, savagely beating him until he lost consciousness. He fell into a coma, and only awakened a few days later in hospital. But before police found him that night, his ear was severed with a knife. All three chavs deny that they cut off his ear... Doctors were unable to attach it.

When Paul Gibbs did not return, several of his friends went looking for him. Hall offered one of them a lift. Again, he waited until he was out of sight of the group before brutally attacking him and searching his pockets before leaving the area. Meantime, Colley and Woodhead attacked two others. One youth was beaten into unconsciousness, waking up several days later. The second was kicked in the face. Colley and Woodhead also robbed two girls, before heading back to the Goths' campsite. Colley claimed he had been told by 'his boss' to kill the Goths.

Hall, who admitted conspiracy to rob and grievous bodily harm to Mr Gibbs, was given an indeterminate prison sentence and must serve a minimum of four-and-a-half years. Woodhead and Colley each admitted conspiracy to rob and grievous bodily harm with intent and were given indeterminate sentences to serve a minimum of two years, 210 days. Colley also admitted grievous bodily harm.

When I found the article on Google News with the headline 'Bully Boys Terrorise Goths In Park', I thought, oh, the usual shouted comments, maybe a punch or two thrown... but no. I quote, again, the Yorkshire Post: "A man was savagely beaten and had his ear cut off while three others were injured in a horrific night of violence when a gang of "bully boys" decided to rob Goths camping in a park."

His ear. Was. Cut. Off.

Excuse me while I rein in comments along the lines of, "And people accuse US of being mentally ill?!"

Also, chavs. Now, I have nothing against the chav subculture as a whole. A lot of my friends are chavs, and I also make it a point not to discriminate against any other subculture. It would be kind of hypocritical. But. Sophie's murderers. These 'bully boys'. The 'neds' who allegedly drove a fifteen-year-old to suicide in Scotland. All chavs. The people I get insulted by almost daily in the street? You guessed it. Now, as I said, I try very hard not to discriminate. But some of these people are making it VERY difficult to keep an open mind. Now, when I see a bunch of young guys with loud mouths, shaven heads and tracksuits, I start looking around for an escape route.

During this entire, premeditated, well-planned attack, the three chavs spent time with the Goths ('gaining their trust'), during which time I would have thought they would have learned that actually, Goths are normal, and as you can tell from this entire incident, non-violent, welcoming, polite and friendly. This knowledge, apparently, made no difference to the thugs's plans. Sickening.

For me, this has chilling echoes of the Sophie incident, particularly the attack on Paul Gibbs. Except, it gives me the heebie-jeebies in a big way, because the whole thing was planned. They calmly and deliberately discussed how they were going to beat up and rob a bunch of strangers because of their clothes. It sounds to me as though Mr Gibbs is lucky to be alive.

That is so completely fucking sick. People who can do things like this are an insult to civilised society. People who have the mentality where they think it's OK to assault and mutilate a complete stranger should be locked up and never see the light of day. It's evil. It's disgusting. I cannot even find words to describe how horrible, how repulsive I think this is. 
And the fact that those 'men' had actually contemplated murde... words fail me. Judge James Spencer QC described them as a "bunch of bully boys" who would only be released when they were considered no longer a danger to the public. Can't imagine a time when someone like that is no longer dangerous... I hope they'll be behind bars until they're old enough to claim a pension.

22 comments:

CookingChinchillas said...

I totally agree with you.Our society has made a major step backwards in it's evolution.
Suddenly people in the civilized areas of the world start to discriminate everything that is not within the 'norm '.Everybody who is slightly different is a subject of discrimination or even worse social racism...and violence.
And it's funny that the older generations are way more tolerant than the youngsters are.
It's a shame!~

Qwack said...

All of this news on Goths getting beat up isn't very surprising as it used to be, nearly everyday someone's beat up because of their race, religion, and petty things such as the way they dress.
Something tells me that within the next ten years, a formerly pacifistic Goth will end up punching a chav/prep/mainstreamer due to them plainly getting pissed off at the comments they received.

Tenebris In Lux said...

Your thought process reflects a lot of us -- and it was almost as if my inside-head ranting was along stride with this post.

I like how you mentioned that it would be hypocritical for Goths to hate on Chavs. The Chavs at my school give me trouble; Chavs in general seem to despise Emos, Goths, Punks, and Moshers. But you know what? So be it. We'll continue to look like the bad guys if we "plot" against them or attack them back. It's horrifying, sad .. but true, very true I'm afraid. I'm definitely going to post something about all of this at one point, but you addressed it well.

Daisy Fiend said...

That's just sick.

Hexotica said...

How HEINOUS! Those 'men' should be locked away for life, as they are obviously so mentally disturbed no amount of therapy is going to make them fit for society. I think this case just happens to involve goths, but these men were out to cause harm to anyone regardless of their look; as I seriously doubt their level of hatred and violence could possible be isolated just upon goths. Who knows what other unreported terror they have reigned upon others...

SiouxsieL said...

Thanks for the link. I hadn't heard about the Gibbs case. Very disturbing and sad.

The Green Fairy said...

Ergh.

Anonymous said...

I just pisses me off to see things like these. The media pay little attention to these types of assaults, but when the tables are turned and someone who happens to be goth or just look like one commits a crime the media goes ballistic over it. and the headline is always related to a cult and satanism.

Kitty Lovett; The Unadulterated Cat said...

It's really quite horrible. You'd be surprised how much it happens here.

"ow, when I see a bunch of young guys with loud mouths, shaven heads and tracksuits, I start looking around for an escape route."

Why are they wearing tracksuits? They've never even seen someone run. It doesn't make sense to me, Amy. Not much does.

Psycho Monkey said...

I'm glad that girl's sentence was rightfully overturned. I think it's kind of stupid that the only evidence they had for to say that she killed her mom was the lifestyle which lead them to thinking that she was satanic for some reason.

That was another article that was hard to read, because of how horrible the incident was. How can people be so cruel to cut off someone's own ear? It's even worse since these 3 people tried to "make nice" with the Gothic group just to betray them later. I think they should have gotten a bigger sentence for premeditated murder. At least nobody died though. This article does make me a little glad that I don't have this kind of problem where I live and go to school, almost everyone I know treat people well.

Anonymous said...

im so disgusted by this.the first time i heard about sophie lancaster i nearly went into a state of shock and now these two more cases???its geting out of control.y can people be so stereotypical to people.how do u even contemplate killing someone?let alone due to how they dress?i dont understand how peopple can be so prejediced and narrow minded.its gross. :(

Ashlee said...

People these days.

CookingChinchillas is right. Older people seem to /like/ my style. They praise me for being an individual.

But kids my age? My sister told her friends about my deathhawk and they said that I need counseling and they ask to see it. I'm not here to amuse you guys, freshmeat. (Erm, freshmen.)

Angel of Darkness said...

That's just plain gross, sad and disgusting. But people like that must be truly mess up in the head.

akumaxkami said...

Horrible, horrible stuff, I agree.

It's sad that things like this happen. It's sad that we can't trust anyone in public, no matter how nice we are or how friendly they seem to be. It's sad that we live in a world where we need to know self-defense and be prepared to use it, based solely on the way we look...

Just sad.

Kirsten said...

oh, this made my blood boil :( so awful

VictorianKitty (Sophistique Noir) said...

This is heartbreaking. :( I put of reading this post for days because I knew it would make me sad (and outraged). Thankfully the guys are being punished for their crimes, although they probably won't do enough time for my taste...

Jamie said...

That is so far beyond disgusting...it's the exact same mentality that leads to the beating of gay people, transpeople, and others who happen to be different. Having grown up in a town full of rednecks who hold the same view on different people as the chavs do, I'm very sad to say I could easily envision some of the people I went to school with doing something like that. Until we start raising kids to be tolerant and accepting of people who aren't exactly like them, this kind of stuff will keep happening, and it makes me so sad. Thank God they're at least getting punished...I was terribly afraid they might have gotten off because of who their victims were.

BallerinaDark said...

How horrible. How sick is people nowadays?! Almost killing a person just because we are dressed differently?! o.O and as you say...and we are the weirdos???

Shi said...

This makes me furious. It really does. How can people get away with this? How can the poplace not be outraged along side us? Racism and attacks based on sexual identity/preference are deplored in the media, but we don't here much about cases like this...

Yes, it just makes me furious. But thank you for making more people aware of this - surely, as more people become open-minded and accepting via contact what they don't (even try to) understand, we'll create a better world.

InfiltratorN7 said...

I read in a news article about a year ago that those sickos who killed Sophie Lancaster tried to appeal against their sentence. It just shows they have absolutely no remorse for what they did. I hope they failed. I remember hearing about this story a fair while ago and it still makes me angry.

The mentality of some people is seriously de-evolving. It's a tribal instinct. When they meet someone for the first time they don't ask "who you are" but "where you from?" as though that matters.

I try to be open-minded about people. But the behaviour of some makes it very hard.

The chav problem is starting to boil over in the UK with the riots during the summer. They were attempts to incite riots even in smaller cities and towns but fortunately the police clamped down on these and made arrests. I hope this leads to more concrete action being taken by the government. I agree with some of the comments above, tolerance of diversity and difference needs to be taught in schools. I love that the Sophie Lancaster Foundation are trying this by creating a tolerance game to be used in schools. They also recently ran a creative writing competition with the theme of difference. The book with the winning pieces and runners-up is available now. My copy just arrived in the post the other day. It's good to see there are still teenagers who care and understand the value of being different and tolerating each other and of course that there are those who are trying to be creative rather than just consuming all the time as this culture pressures us all to do.

richard blower said...

i get alot of abuse from stupid chavs because of the way i dress(tho i am a black metaller not a goth).I don't always wear black clothes because sometimes i fear getting my head kicked in.
I too try not to discrimate against people because of how they dress but increasingly find myself judgemental against hoodies.

Shannon Mulhalll said...

Thankyou for all the kinds words Paul Gibbs is my husband and I find this disgusting he shouldn't of gone through this no one deserves this and no one should be put into categories it's totally wrong xxx

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...