THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES

Sunday, 17 July 2011

Goth at the theme park

Hello again my lovelies! Today's post is a reader request from way-back-when on the old Piczo site, which I never got around to writing up (mainly out of sheer laziness, sorry about that!). I hope it will be helpful to those of you who attend or are hoping to attend Bats Day, as well as those of you who simply like going to theme parks. I'm terrible with theme parks and funfairs - I don't like big scary rides but am obsessed, obsessed I tell you, with ghost trains. In fact, my dream date would involve a ride on a ghost train. *sigh* Cliche overload, alert.

What was I saying? Ah, yes. Back on the old site, Emily said, "Nothing in my wardrobe is suitable to wear to Alton Towers, and seeing as I'm going with my friends this summer... I kind of need a solution. Any ideas (aka, excuses for me to spend money on)?"

Source: Vampire Freaks
Surprisingly, there are several Goth wardrobe staples which are practical enough to spend a day whizzing about upside-down. If your Goth style is more casual, you're already on to a winner, as fishnet stockings and frilly petticoats are likely to end in disaster. You don't want your skirt to blow up and put your spider-patterned pants on display, now, do you? If you really, really want to wear a skirt, either pop on some leggings or opaque tights underneath, or go for a reasonably long skirt (e.g. mid-calf) in a heavy material like denim or canvas. Shorts are, of course, a practical option.

Skinny jeans. I get narked when people say these are more emo than Goth - nothing's more trad Goth than big hair, fishnet shirt, pointy boots and black skinny jeans. Anyway, they're certainly a wardrobe staple of mine; you can wear them tucked into your stompy boots or keep it casual (and, OK, a little emo-esque) with Converse-style boots if the weather's likely to be scorching. (Speaking of scorching, those of you with deathrock-inspired ripped skinnies shouldn't forget to apply suncream underneath, unless you want really interesting tan lines of course.)

A quick note for those of you who are devotees of bondage pants: it may be wise to remove any long dangling straps if you can. You don't want them to get caught on anything whilst you're on a ride. You may be risking injury or they may just rip your trousers half-off.

A T-shirt or tank top is, of course, the most practical option for your top half - if this is too boring for you, remember you can layer up with fishnet, lace or mesh shirts underneath. These are airy enough that you won't fry in the summer heat but add an extra layer of interest to your look. But, again, don't forget the suncream.

At Bats Day, you can always tell which Goths are there to go on rides and which are there just to see and be seen - the bustles and corsets are a dead (pardon the pun) giveaway. Corsets at a theme park? Even if you're well-trained enough to wear a corset for several hours, I can almost guarantee you'll feel pretty uncomfortable on the banana boat after lunch.

What about accessories? Belts good; gloves good; badges good; stripy tights good; dangly necklaces or tight chokers not so good. Bangles and bracelets should be worn with caution also. If you like rides that go upside-down, it's probably not the best idea to wear top hats, falls or Alice bands. Footwear, obviously, should be somewhat practical - this is not the place for stilettos, darklings. A pretty or interesting bag on a shoulder strap is a sensible idea, and if it's hot you could always bring a parasol, as long as you're sure you will have someone to hold it when you're on rides. And don't forget your sunglasses!

Make-up is the key area of difficulty if you're expecting it to withstand summer sun and wet rides. Keep the essentials in your purse or bag - concealer, powder, eyeliner, brow pencil, eyeshadow, waterproof mascara - but leave your foundation at home as it won't like spending the day in a hot bag. It's wisest if you enjoy water rides to keep the make-up light - perhaps a waterproof lipstick like Revlon ColourStay Ultimate Lip Color (seriously, I have showered with this on and it didn't budge. It never lets me down) and then a flick of waterproof liner and mascara?

If wearing eyeshadow, use a primer to help your colour last as long as possible without creasing, and spritz a little hairspray onto drawn-on eyebrows to help them survive longer. Swirly-curly eyeliner designs might be a bad idea - they'll either melt or run.

Also, if you're expecting to get wet, there's no point backcombing your hair. Try Wednesday Addams plaits or NCIS Abby pigtails to keep your hair out of your face (this will also help keep your face from getting hot and greasy). Or a simple ponytail.

I hope this was at least a little bit helpful! Feel free to share your own tips (and cautionary tales, if you have some!) in the comments. ^^

17 comments:

Dalestair Ophelia Zodiac said...

Actually this is incredibly good advice for Aussie Goths also. While it's winter now, It won't be long before that fact changes.

Thank you for another fabulous post, mydear.

Kitty Lovett; The Unadulterated Cat said...

I remember, there used to be a themepark in Sydney (best themepark ever, may she rest in peace) called Wonderland. It was rather Alice in Wonderland themed, and it was not at all uncommon to see goths there. Why?

There was a Halloween Town. A burton-style place with the scary haunted houses and the extremely speedy rides.

Don't worry Amy - I love ghost trains too!

Lilly Peppermint said...

Halloween Town in Sydney sounds awesome. There's nothing like that way down here. =(
But yes, for the spring and summer months this is our essential guide. Great post. x

Dalestair Ophelia Zodiac said...

Adelaide - The city of Churches and bordem

SaryWalrus said...

I made the mistake of wearing a dress too a theme park once. D:

Unfortunately everyone was standing around the ride and it was lit with very bright lights.

Fortunately only my garter shower. xD

The Green Fairy said...

Skinny legs for the win, I love 'em! Wear them literally every day.

The Green Fairy said...

Also I had a deathhawk survive a violent Melboune rainstorm, so it is possible if you put the foundations in. Also, water resistant products in you roots help.

LovleAnjel said...

What a great post! I like to wear cargo pants (the surplus store carries them in black) so I can stuff my sunglasses, wallet, xtra sunscreen ect. in them while I'm on rides. I just don't trust people enough to put things on the ride's storage shelves.

I also suggest getting some SPF lipbalm (it goes up to SPF 45). You can put it on, then blot before putting on your usual stuff for added protection (or just wear it alone if you don't want to worry about reapplying lip gunk all day).

US Amusements parks go all-out for Halloween, staying open late, opening haunted houses and having rides either lit up with spooky lights or totally in the dark. Bonus is that it's much nicer out and you don't have to worry about sunscreen.

CookingChinchillas said...

Am I the only person on this planet who doesn't manage to get into skinny jeans (the ones with no stretchy fabric)???

Your theme park suggestions are great!

GothyBeans said...

Hey there, this is the admin from GothyBeans.com, I've found a website who appears to be ripping off your blog word for word (via a pingback from your Cruxshadows post that they stole). Do you have an email or PM system so that I can send you the link? I don't know how to use Blogger, so I can't find that info if it's there (bit embarrassing).
wolfy@gothybeans.com is mine if that's any easier.

Fae said...

Um yeah my best guy friend whom liked me and I liked back just ripped out my heart. Any advice on something so stupid. :'(

GothicGuy said...

Aww Fae its okay <3

Kitty Lovett; The Unadulterated Cat said...

Chin up, Fae! It'll all be okay. WHenever I'm sad I spend time with my kittens, but if that is not possible for you, go do some volunteer work at your local animal shelter. That'll cheer you up. Because....kittens!

ultimategothguide said...

Oh Fae hunny :-( I'm quite possibly the last person worth asking for dating advice but if you want to talk I'm your girl: beautiful.loser (at) hotmail.co.uk

Kitty Lovett; The Unadulterated Cat said...

^and this is why we love you, amy! <3

Fae said...

So true thank you guys ! <3

T. Jade said...

aha yessss, I went to Bat's Day this year in May and I definately had to put all the above into consideration. I survived the day with a jean skirt, tights, combat boots, and a corset-looking shirt. =]] And I still managed to look good for all the photographers asking for pictures that day. =D

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...