Do you ever get the urge to re-vamp your look? No, no, I don't mean in the sense that you wake up one morning, realise it was just a phase after all, and scamper off to exorcise the black from your hair, make-up, nails and closet, but when you become more attracted to a different kind of Goth look than the one you have now. For example, choosing to dress more romantically and elegantly if you previously had a hard-edged industrial look. Or vice versa. Perhaps you've been inspired by steampunk, lolita, Visual Kei or 40s fashion, and would like to change your wardrobe to reflect that a little more.
Image: VECONA (the fashon label designed and created by the former Bloody Crumpet)
Photo: Silent View
Images from the VECONA label currently make up a good half of my inspiration folder. Prepare to be seeing them A LOT.
Everyone's look gets a makeover every now and again. Here's some guidelines - from current personal experience - on sorting out your wardrobe when the urge takes you.
- Be aware of what you want the end result to be.
- Don't do this when you're in a good mood.
- That one pair of boots you've got that go with everything? Keep them on your feet whilst clearing out.
- Be logical. You can't upcycle every old garment in your closet or you'll end up buried under a mountain of clothes.
- If you can't decide whether or not to keep something, put it away in the attic or spare room for 3-6 months.
- It's always difficult getting rid of a much-loved item that just doesn't fit any more - worse still when said item was a gift.