THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES

Sunday, 10 July 2011

Styles of Goth fashion: candy Goth

Candy Goth has been mentioned on this blog previously as a variation on the term 'perkygoth', and perkygoth is certainly this style's closest relative.

An informant told me that candy Goth is similar to perkygoth style, but mixed with other pastel colours rather than the traditional perkygoth pink. Other online sources reveal that the common image of candy Goth involves neon colours rather than pastel, typically pink and green. Either way, this is another colourful, bouncier subset of Goth - more whimsical and less futuristic than cybergoth, but the candy Goth may also enjoy electronic-based music.

Candy Goth tends to appeal to younger, predominantly female Goths, and since this style may incorporate pigtails, brightly coloured striped socks, jelly bracelets, kandi and soft toys this is quite fitting, as these kinds of accessories are widely available from stores like Claire's and Hot Topic, providing an easy, pocket-money friendly transition into Goth culture for younger darklings.

Cyber falls, pleated skirts, tutus, neon fishnets, cat ears and colourful make-up are also popular. Aficionados of candy Goth style may be attracted to other looks with a similar sweet or colourful aesthetic, for example Sweet Lolita, babydoll Goth, Graver and glitter Goth, and as such may also borrow from these styles.
(c) Toxic Tears
Her Tumblr
Because of the young age bracket for this style, its bright elements, and its possible visual associations with Hot Topic, I got the impression online that this style is treated with some disdain by eldergoths and traditionalists, but it's relatively simple to put together and can be affordable, plus if done right it's very cute, so what's not to like?
Bands I would associate with this style are bouncier, peppier acts such as The Cruxshadows, The Birthday Massacre, Aural Vampire, Apoptygma Berserk, Ayria and Modulate.

7 comments:

Teresa said...

AHHHH SO MUCH NEON! Must hide behind black velvet!

Excerpts From Hell said...

I started out as just a goth kid that wore a lot of black in any form I can get it but have probably slowly come more towards these kinds of goth genres.

Sweet Lolita and Gothic Lolita are two of my favorite types. But they tend to be a little spendy.

And if I've told one of my rave friends I've told them all that if they had to classify my I'd rather they call me a Graver. Seeing as I'm normally the scariest thing you find here at parties......

But like you said I have found many of the older goths (and I'm 23 so I'm not exactly young) who think that these styles aren't really goth. And I get much strife about it.

What I don't understand about it is that I'm a relatively interesting goth as I don't stick to one genre but traverse through many. And I have found that being a graver or even kandi at times is both fun......and leaves non-goths with a better picture of me because they seem to be able to approach me more when I'm in the brighter more friendly outfits. And they can talk to me and see that not all stories about goth kids are true......

But then again I do live in an area where goth kids have a very elitist attitude.....

Fae said...

My parents hate me only wearing dark colours. And so this seems nie I could give it a shot but....Most my cloths are dark. :P

akumaxkami said...

What a cute style.

Say, have you heard about this Bubble Goth thing that artist Kerli is now promoting? That's kind of a neat look too.

Cody said...

I loooove this style and the examples you used. I myself am beginning to want to add more bright/cute elements to some of my favorite outfits. It's also a fun look to play around with when my hair is a brighter unnatural color.

~Forgotten-Unwanted~ said...

Would Pastel Goth be almost like Candy Goth? Oh, and a friend of mine asked if there was Rodeo Goth? Something a long the lines of cowboy/girl goth look.

minna said...

love this. i'm being a bit between this and some sort of romantic goth, or in any case something a little darker than this. ps. the birthday massacre is the best band ever!!!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...