THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES

Friday, 19 August 2011

Day 12: What's your Gothic inspiration?

I will admit that in my early Goth years my biggest idol and inspiration was Amy Lee of Evanescence, whilst I still love Amy Lee and have a poster of her on my wall I have branched out a little bit over the years!

Amy Lee
Nowadays I don't really have any idols or role models, but I am very prone to 'Goth crushes'! Visually, my biggest inspirations are Adora BatBrat, Jillian Venters, Wednesday Mourning, a whole bunch of random internet Goths, The Green Fairy, Audrey Hepburn, Lady Amaranth, most of the people photographed by Viona and Emilie Autumn. I don't try to dress like anybody else, but I do note what I like about a person's style and think of ways that I could apply the same principle to my own wardrobe.

When I was first getting into Goth I used to endlessly watch those Goth picture slideshows that you can find millions of on YouTube. I love a lot of very stereotypical 'spooky' imagery - lonely woodlands, graveyards, desolate houses, thunderstorms etc. Often the world itself provides inspiration; when I get writer's block I flick through a bunch of landscape photography books that I keep to hand.

The list of people I find generally inspiring is a long one; for general attitude I'd have to cite Gerard Way, Joji Grey and Jillian Venters.

10 comments:

† Nanna † said...

I don't have "idols" too... but I like a lot of people =specially of the goth culture=, like Amy Lee = I like her since I was 9 years old=. Tarja Turunen, Lady Amaranth, =I don't know about Adora Batbrat=, Robert Smith, Gerard Way and Chris Pohl too =AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHH I love him, I will get married with him \o/= Sorry for my english kkkk'

Minakitty said...

Way back in 1995, I was visiting friends in NYC and stopped in a now long closed store called Skin Crawl. The woman minding the shop was just stunning. Very 90s British goth style, though she was American. Big, pulled back hair, leggings, chain belts, etc. It also helped that she was a genuinely nice person. I hadn't met any other goths at the time and it really helped that she was so friendly! :)

The Green Fairy said...

I think it is safe to say that I too am inspired by the green fairy :D Wooo absinthe fairies ftw

Anonymous said...

Fuck Yeah, Gerard Way.

Anonymous said...

cool, I never knew you found Mr. Way inspiring! Haha, me too ^.^
In fact, he's probably my main inspiration.
Thanks for posting this, totally made my day. I real your blogs often and I think I might join. x :-)

ultimategothguide said...

@ The Green Fairy - I was talking about you!

@ Anon - Thank you! ^^

The Green Fairy said...

Oh shucks Amy, I'm blushing over here ^_^

<3

Jillian Venters said...

Aww, thank you! I'll be right over here, blushing. :D

Maggie said...

Idols? Not sure if it's the right word, but I do take a lot of everyday style tips from a certain Lisbeth Salander :) (Yes, I know she's a fictional character. That doesn't make her any less kick-ass.)

Bellatrix Lestrange said...

I've been obsessed with Helena Bonham Carter and Tim Burton for years! I think it's pretty safe to say that they've had a big influence on me. Beetlejuice remains one of my favourite films... Jillian Venters is amazing, just for the record, and i enjoy dressing like a vampire :p

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...