THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES

Wednesday, 10 August 2011

Day 3: When did you come out the Goth closet?

I should have posted this yesterday, but I decided to have a nice hot bath and go for a walk in the sunshine instead. Sorry about that...

Day Three - When did you come out the Goth closet?

Several times! It all started a few months before my 15th birthday, when I decided I wanted to 'go Goth'. I told my mum straight away because I knew she would be OK with it, then I had to go through the process of telling my friends and boyfriend! I wasn't overly sure what sort of reactions I would get because up until then they had only known me as a blonde, tomboy-ish type, athough eccentric.

I didn't tell my boyfriend Dan (by this point we had been together for about three years) until I had begun to adopt Goth style into my wardrobe. Sadly there are no photos documenting my VERY early experimentation with the Goth aesthetic - before I had begun my mallgoth phase in earnest with lots of brand name Goth clothes, in fact before I had gone out with the intent of buying anything Gothy at all, I had to begin by using what I already had in my wardrobe, and the outfit I liked best was a denim miniskirt with black suede slouchy boots, a long hooded net cardigan which would have been ever-so-Goth if it had been black or purple instead of beige, and a black strappy top with corset lacing down the front.

I was wearing this outfit when I confessed to Dan that I really, really wanted to be a Goth. Telling him was very anti-climatic - I had been worried in case he decided that dating a Goth girl was not for him, but he was very cool about it and didn't really have an opinion. Although he probably thought it was another one of the 'phases' I often went through, which usually lasted about a week! In my pre-teens, I had a hippie phase, a punk phase and a wearing-only-rainbow-stripes phase within months of each other...

Dad was the biggest hurdle - I went to see him on a weekend dressed in the new Gothy outfit I had bought from Camden (spiky New Rocks, frilly Hell Bunny skirt, slogan T-shirt, neon green studded belt and fishnets) rather than giving him any advance warning, and for several years his reaction remained the same - slightly despairing amusement and snarky comments. Ironically I thought Dad would be the biggest fan of my Goth transformation as he listened to a lot of rock music and took me to see Alice Cooper when I was 13.

My best friend Jade had just moved away, so I ended up confessing my Gothness to her over the phone. Again I was worried she would freak out (what a melodramatic young'un I was!) but she laughed and said, "Well, about time!" Apparently all my friends had seen 'the signs' except me... o.O

I can't remember how old I was here... it's just past the mallgoth days and into the babybat era!
If you read Bizarre Magazine, you may have seen this picture before...

6 comments:

† Nanna † said...

What is it in your hand? Soda? Water? Juice? Beer? I must admit= I HATE beer! hehe ' But good article anyway. Your articles are very funny and cool!

ultimategothguide said...

Soda! (Irn-Bru to be precise!) Thank you. :-D

Julietslace said...

Hahah you look like a real life advert for the Irn-Bru <3

Ps, sunshine in Britain?! Woah.

Emily Lynn G. said...

Wow-I have only come out to my best friend, peers at school, and a fellow Goth friend. i haven't really "told' my family though my siblings probably know deep down...my mother is in denial and my Dad makes snarky comments sometimes like yours did. Maybe I'll get the courage some day ;_;

Tenebris In Lux said...

Man, I'd like to see Alice Cooper live!

Interesting article ..

Anonymous said...

Lol, when I was about...5.
No Joke! I had a Goth babysitter

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...