THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES

Sunday, 14 August 2011

Day 8: What's your worst and best experiences with non-Goths?

Best: Working in a retail store as a flamboyantly-dressed Gothling means that I get some sort of comments on my attire on pretty much a daily basis. Mostly these are positive. I once stood and turned red to the roots of my hair whilst a woman waxed lyrical on how 'beautiful' I looked for ten whole minutes. Which is probably up there as a best experience.

But the one that really sticks in my mind does so because at the time, I had never received any comments on my Goth clothes, be they good or bad. I was still firmly in the babybat stage, in the first few months of my foray into Gothdom to be more precise. In fact I was still wearing my long, straight black hair combed diagonally across to completely cover half of my face. :-/

I was at the theatre with my mum, watching Dan, who at the time was a drama student in college, performing in a play. During the interval a little old lady tapped me on the shoulder and demanded, "Are those GOTHIC boots?"

Worried, I said yes, expecting to be denounced as a devil worshipper or something. The woman - who must have been pushing 80, at least - smiled and said, "Well done, dear. I wish I'd done that at your age."

Me last summer, looking mallgoth-tastic in my bondage pants and baggy tee...
Worst: This was also when I was quite new-to-Goth, aged about sixteen or so... I was walking with another babybat friend (she later 'grew out of it') and a friend of hers into town, when a group of very young boys, aged ten at the most, started throwing stones and chunks of brick at us. It's not the worst that could have happened - they were only kids, after all, and had I started walking towards them they probably would have run away - but it was quite alarming because a large chunk of brick, when thrown, obviously has the potential to do some damage. Their parents could do with keeping their brats under control...

9 comments:

Mary Zawadzki said...

What a wonderful comment from that old lady! I've had some of the best compliments from the over 70 set, some coupled with hand pats and one hug. Yes, I had a 90 something year old hug me!

A few weeks ago I was shopping in a local beauty supply store looking at the hair rollers, etc. for my Victory Roll obsession. This was the first time I tried Victory Rolls and they came out sort of good -- good enough to go out wearing them. This tiny little woman looked at me with big round eyes and said, "WOW! Are the girls wearing their hair like that now?" I answered "No. I'm trying to recreate vintage hairstyles." She walked right up to me, grabbed my hand and said, "You look beautiful! We used to wear our hair like that! etc. etc. (insert nostalgic waxing here)" And then hugged me! hehehe ... she told me to keep practicing! I really love the older set. They are just amazing people!

It's horrible that you had bricks and stones thrown at you! The worst I ever got was eggs. The funniest thing thrown at us: powered sugar donut holes. A bunch of us were hanging out at a friend's house waiting for two of our friends to show up for a movie night. The two of them (all dressed in black, wearing black wool coats because it was winter) walked in eating something. They were also covered in one inch white, powered dots. We asked what happened and they pulled a handful of donut holes out of their pocket. They explained to us that the guys from my high school's baseball team started throwing stuff out of their van at them. They ducked because they thought it was the usual eggs (this was a very common occurrence on Staten Island). When they figured out that they were donut holes they started to catch them and eat them! Boys are so weird!!! Hence the white, powered dots all over them!

The Green Fairy said...

I had a similar experience with youngin's throwing things; I was sort'a still in the goth closet at the time, but I was dressed as Zorro at the time :P

I marched towards them with my plastic sword outstetched and they ran but then they attack my friends with rocks and such and I told them to throw them back and then their stupid mothers' came and told us off...and it was like..Seriously? Control your stupid fucking brats!

The Green Fairy said...

p.s. I am determined to get me one of those gas mask bags...

ultimategothguide said...

Mary - Aw, that's cute! I tend to get mixed reactions from little old ladies; some love me, some fear me. >.< They always like retro-inspired stuff, I guess it's a walking nostalgia trip for them. :-)

I think I would probably cry if someone threw eggs at me. But donut holes? I could get on board with that! ^^

The Green Fairy - You had me at 'I was dressed as Zorro at the time'...

I am keeping an eye out for one for you. ^^

T. Jade said...

Read this post this morning while getting ready to go out thrift store shopping! Little did I know that I'd have a lovely little run in with a non-goth. It was on the more heart-warming side of the conversations one usually has with them. =] So when I came home, I posted about my experience, mentioning and linking to your blog. Just thought I'd let ya know. Can't help but talk about my own gothiness without mentioning you. =]

Bane said...

In general, elderly ladies seem to be more accepting of me than any other demographic. I guess they are wise enough to know that hating people because of the way they're dressed is just a waste of time and energy.

Healthy Hair said...

great post!!!!!


beauty supply wholesale

nelson peltz said...

Great Post! such a nice blog. This blog is ever amazing. Thanks

Anonymous said...

@Mary, next time you see them, tell them that jock is not brave, hes stupid. A really brave person doesnt attack a person weaker than themselves, if they are brave, than they protect them.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...