THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES

Sunday, 7 August 2011

The Goth Challenge! Day 1: How did you come across the subculture?

Oh, thank you, thank you, Juliet's Lace, for giving me questions to answer on my very favourite topic (hint: see blog title) for a whole month! This is The Goth Challenge, and I hope you will all go and join in forthwith! <3

Day One: How did you come across the subculture?

I 'discovered' Goth as a very young girl; I was captivated by a group of black-clad types at Waterloo Station when I was travelling with my parents (this was pre-divorce which means I was probably about six or seven. Nice to know I was practising my Goth-spotting early). One of the girls had very pale pink hair and pinstriped bondage trousers, which to Young Me was possibly the most awesome thing EVER.

We also had a Goth shop at the bottom of our high street (it's now a hippie/ethnic store selling body jewellery and lots of incense). I used to stop by often, despite being scared of the multi-pierced shop girls, and check out the amazing lacy Raven and Sinister dresses, the display of BEGoths dolls in the window (I saved up to buy one aged ten) and I can remember vividly that there was a mannequin dressed in a pleated plaid mini, a T-shirt bearing the legend 'Made In Hell' and a spiked collar hanging from the ceiling. I didn't know until I bought that BEGoth doll that this aesthetic was called 'Goth', I just knew that I liked it.

As I have previously mentioned, I dabbled in Goth fashion on and off from age eight upwards, although I had less than no clue what the subculture was actually about - I thought it was probably about not smiling and learning witchcraft, which was probably why the style didn't 'stick' until I got older.

When I was fourteen and my babybat/mallgoth phase had begun in earnest, after my fair share of mallgoth mistakes I discovered the forum Gothic.net, which was how I learned that no, listening to rock and metal doesn't make one 'Goth', and went on to look up 'real' Goth bands. At first I didn't like a lot of what I was hearing but I was immediately bewitched by Siouxsie, The Cruxshadows and Switchblade Symphony - I had wondered if I was 'weird' for not enjoying the majority of popular music but amongst the thousands of varied Goth genres and subgenres I was finally finding music that really spoke to me.

And the rest is history!

Me as a young Gothling, on Christmas Eve
Aged 15.
Listening to: Fix - Aesthetic Perfection

10 comments:

† Nanna † The Black Veil Bride said...

Hehe, I discoverde the Goth culture whem I was 12 (today I'm 18). I'm not totally goth, but it's my fav culture. :)

Anonymous said...

I don't know... I think I was looking through Wikihow at the end of my "emo" phase and then I saw goth, read a few of the articles... Then the next day I decided to check out Bauhaus, listened to the song Hollow Hills, then got a little obsessed.

Yay!

Anonymous said...

Hi, Amy! Remember that anonymous from the decor post? Well, I've come back to comment ^^
Let's just call me Venus (yes, that is my name >.<)
Basically, the way I came across Goth was When i was about 5 or 6.I had this Babysitter dude that was Gothic, and he lived across the street. He used to let me watch all sorts of Tim burton movies as a child. I had thought he looked really cool when he dressed in his dark attire, and my parents are still very close friends with him. So, to wrap it all up, I had this Goth babysitter who got me to watch Corpse Bride and Nightmare Before Christmas when I was i Kindergarten. whoop dee doo

Maeam said...

Well, gee, if I had a camera I could do all of those challenges...I'm going to try anyway, just for the heck of it...

If Joji can upload webcam videos that aren't in the best quality, so can I!!! :p

Tenebris In Lux said...

I'm definitely doing that challenge later .. and I'll link back to this post as well as the one from JL.

I really like that photograph of you -- love the hat! ^^

Zellain said...

I was always a fan of spooky shows (The Munsters, Addams Family and the Beetlejuice cartoon), movies, ghost books and all that as a kid. It wasn't until I was 13 and met a goth that became a very close friend that I realized there was a subculture that celebrated the things I loved. I was hooked immediately.

ALSO! I was wondering if you would like a copy of my E-book to review?

Morbid Fashion: A Basic Guide to Identifying & Creating Your Grown-Up Gothic Style is a quick read at 78 pages long and will be a great reference point for

goths at any age looking to revamp their
wardrobe. Learn about gathering style inspiration, identifying your Gothic style icons, using inspiration to come up with your own ideal Gothic wardrobe that you would actually like to wear, general clothing care tips for Goths, tips for shopping in-person and tips for shopping online. The guide also features numerous pages of shopping and culture resources for goths of every price range, style, gender and body type.

You can read more about it here along with a 10 page preview of the book: http://subtlegoth.com/2011/08/06/morbid-fashion-a-style-guide-is-now-available/

My email, if you're interested, is zellain@gmail.com

Honestly if any of you other Gothic bloggers out there are interested in a copy to review send me an email as well!

Thanks,
Zellain

Jessie Aaker said...

I was taken by the gothic subculture some I was really young (think early elementry school). Maybe from watching shitty 80's fantasy movies like Legend? I have no idea... But as far back as I can remember I was always more attracted to wearing dark or jewel toned color schemes and maybe liking fariy tales and victorian/colonial eras little too much also came into play. I guess I do listen to a great deal of gothic bands but I never really looked at it as "gothic music," just stuff I happened to like. In high school I was told I was "so gothic" even though I didn't dress gothic (in my oppinion. I really didn't know what the hell they were talking about) and had yet to discover any real gothic bands. And to this day I don't really consider myself to be gothic even though I'm attracted to the subculture and all this creepy, weird shit. I just don't feel like I'm hard core enough, you know? But maybe I'm just so gothic I don't even know I'm gothic.

I want to do this challenge after I'm done with the one I'm currently doing.

Anonymous said...

how did you convince your parents to let you have the piercings at 15?! I'm so jealous

ultimategothguide said...

Anon - I just asked.

Anonymous said...

I love Switchblade Symphony! They are the first actual goth band I've listened to, and I became captivated and intrigued the very moment that I heard "Dissolve". I was and am a Tim Burton fan, so I guess that kind of drew me further into the sweet darkness.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...