THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES

Wednesday, 10 August 2011

Guest post: Let's Talk Graveyard

My guest post for August is brought to you by Tenebris in Lux - you may have read this post before at her blog Neverending Playlist of a Psycho. All images on this page belong to Tenebris.

I'm always fascinated with the photos that other bloggers share that relate to their local cemeteries, so I'm posting about my local cemetery here. 

My local cemetery, for starters, is very old.  Below you'll find an image of me eating a piece of bread for lunch. The sun made this image look washed out: a quality I like to see in self-portraits.
 
Not only am I going to share images, but provide etiquette and tips about going to grave sites. Let's get started, shall we?
A Goth in her natural habitat.
Even if you think you're going to be alone or occupied with one activity, always bring along extra entertainment.  It took me 15 minutes to cycle to the graveyard on my bike (aka the Batmobile), so I have a lot of time to hang out.  I ended up having a makeshift picnic underneath a tree.  A good thing I brought some Poe!
Even though my local cemetery has a ton of old trees (old trees = shade), I like to bring extra sunscreen and even an umbrella.  Applying sunscreen - even during the winter - is helpful to your skin, improves the consistancy of how you apply it, and you'll get rewarded with safer and paler skin!
Respect the dead.  This picture (below) I took when the cemetery was decorated with flags for Memorial Day.  Try to avoid going to the cemetery on holidays, or when you know there is going to be a private funeral.   
Vandalism will get you into a lot of trouble. How would you feel if your grandmother's stone was kicked over, or if someone was climbing all over your family's mausoleum?  Exactly. 
 
Know the cemetery's rules and hours.  Follow the rules, and you're good to go. I've met some of the people who attend and take care of this beautiful cemetery: they know what they are doing, they do their job, and that is that. But it even takes a visitor to take care of a cemetery.

Be safe.  Again, don't destroy anything, respect the cemetery and the grievers, know and follow the rules, and arrive during visiting hours only.
 
Learn more about the history of the cemetery.  When was it built?  Where are the different plots, and what kind of people were buried there?  Where are the oldest graves, and how old are they?  Are there are famous people buried here?
 
 
If you liked a photo that I used in this visual guide to graveyard/cemetery etiquette, you can use it on your blog if you cite my name.  Example: photo taken by Tenebris In Lux, photo by Tenebris In Lux.

5 comments:

† Nanna † said...

I don't think it's stereotyped. I like cemeteries. Cemeteries are beautiful and peaceful, and we can get closer of the people who we love. =D

Angel of Darkness said...

Very nice. I enjoyed this, it was very interesting. :)

Serenity said...

Ooh, that's a very beautiful cemetary. But you do lose goth poings for wearing white sneakers. :P <3!

Tenebris In Lux said...

Poings? What are poings? ;-P

InfiltratorN7 said...

A nice little post. I liked it. I've always liked visiting graveyards. It was always a thing we did as a family since I was little (my parents still like to visit them).

I like the washed out look of your first photo. It makes it look like it was taken in the 80s making you a tradgoth. ^_^

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...