THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES

Monday, 1 August 2011

Hats, feathers, and cupcakes, oh my!

Today we have another themed post from Sophistique Noir! The theme is hats and fascinators, so allow me to give you a brief tour of my collection.

Warning! Pic heavy!

This is one of my most recent acquisitions; it's only from George at Asda, and I got it for £1.50 from a charity shop. I wanted a more casual sunhat to keep my cool on sunny days when I'm not dressed up. Call me vain, but I love how this hat looks on me!

This is my most recent buy; I got it earlier this month for £6.99 from the bridal section of a local charity shop. I think it might be vintage. Either way, it's gorgeous, and I'm hoping it will look well for the Filthy Victorian Challenge next year. ^^
This mini top hat was £18 from Claire's - I glued on the skull myself.
My vintage bowler! Dad found this for me and I love it to bits. Yes, I am aware that I look like a crackhead here. Never mind.
This is my other sunhat... I like to think it's a little bit Edward Gorey. I got it from a charity shop for about £3 -  someone had stuck a horrendous pink faux rose on top of the feather but I soon sorted THAT out. People have no taste... XP
Here are some of my less elegant hats! The bobble hat was £5 from some chav-tastic shop in Basingstoke; the Royal Artillery hat belonged to my granddad. The grey hat is a 20s-style cloche hat and was a present from my aunt and uncle. The horned hat was £16.99 from Rainbow's End in Swanage and is one of my favourites!
The stripy hat was £4 from Claire's; I don't wear it very often but the colour scheme and stripes are very 'me'. The cap with the little skull was £12.99 from The Sharp Practice in Salisbury. The skully hat is from Poundland, actually I pinched it off a friend who got it to keep his head warm whilst fishing. The dread hat is from Gobbolino, but I bought it years and years ago. The cow hat was a leaving gift from my friends at the office. :-)
I only have a couple of fascinators... the pink feathered one was £3.99 from the British Heart Foundation and the cat-eared one was £4.99 from a fancy dress shop in Bournemouth.
This is my favourite mini hat, it was £25 from G.L.P. in Camden and I bought it on my 18th birthday.
My absolute best hat is my genuine Victorian (slightly battered) top hat, which my dad got for me. This year I gave it a bit of a make-over with some lace, ribbons and feathers. They're not glued on, just tied.

Lastly, here are my snaps from the carnival yesterday. I'm featuring these here because I'm wearing the final piece from my hat collection, which was £3.50 from a charity shop.
Jodie kindly models my hat, at my house pre-carnival.
Herp derp.
Please ignore face. :-/
Before we had even made it into the event proper I had already been asked for my photo. I think a lot of people thought I was in costume and had absconded from the procession! I managed some good shopping, anyway... the glow in the dark beetle necklace I'm wearing in the top photos on this post; a perfume called Bondage which is a cheap knockoff of a Gaultier ladies perfume; a signed book by a local author; and a butterscotch and fudge cupcake (with edible glitter). Could a Gothy girl ask for more?
Nan and Mum
My hat day piece de resistance! I know this lady as she runs one of the alt shops in my town; obviously I had to grab a picture. <3

19 comments:

Tenebris In Lux said...

I bet that carnival was fun -- lovin' those photos!

And extra points for the hats you gave makeover to ^_^

I still need to get
a) a large black sunhat
b) black military cap *
c) black cowboy hat *
d) bowler hat *
* indicates I'll attempt to make it ..?

Teresa said...

So unfair! You have all these cool hats and I only have a witch hat... (With roses and feathers and a viel, but I can't wear it in public (without getting disowned)) Well, thrift store soon, then.

akumaxkami said...

You have some awesome hats. I should do a similar post!

Dirgesinger said...

You look lovely dear, and that dread hat - if thats with the face and ears looking like a bat - looks immense fun. Someday would you post a photo with you in that? i'd like to see if I can make that for the coming winter - here i have no chance to find one like that in shops.

VictorianKitty (Sophistique Noir) said...

Great photos - what a fun event! Hat lady at the end is awesome.

Who would have thought I would not be the only one to post a cool hat found at Claire's??? That's too funny. Very nice job with dressing up the top hat (good dad to get you such a lovely piece to begin with!). I think the Edward Gorey-esque one is my favorite, though!! It makes you look... wicked... :-D

Phoenix said...

AWESOME hat collection! That floppy sunhat looks gorgeous on you, I've always thought about getting one of those! Good for summer ^^ The bowler hat rules.

Fae said...

Awesome hat`s and awesome post Amy! and that outfit you were wearing is totally cute. :D

Nightwind said...

Your hats are awesome and I especially like your new acquisition. Just three days ago a wonderful new hat came into my life. It was made by the Great Australian Hat Company and I found it at a small but stylish resale shop. Unfortunately, it's way too hot here in the southern United States to wear it anywhere right now; but when the autumn comes...

siouxsiel said...

Love the sunhats. You look great in the first one. And fantastic hot pink skull bustier. Awesome. Looks like you had a great time.

Emily Lynn G. said...

So cute! I have a teacup hair I altered from Claire's and a Cat hat like your horned one a friend knit for me. Hats<3

ultimategothguide said...

@ Dirgesinger - the dread hat is the one with blue dreadlocks. The one that looks like a bat is actually a cow... of course I will post a photo! Probably not at the moment though, it's the middle of summer here!

pinsandpatience said...

That's some head piece collection you have! And cute corset :)

Lady Euphoria Deathwatch said...

What a nice collection. But now my hats want to be noticed too.

I'll have to give them a chance to come out and play more often.

Great post!

Unlacing the Victorians said...

Love the hat, but ADORE THE GASMASK BAG!!!

BallerinaDark said...

lovely collection of hats :D You are very lucky to live in England..lots of nice and cheap shops there!! :D

Angel of Darkness said...

Haha! I almost bought that mini top hat from Claire's but when I went back to get it it was gone... Your hat collection is way, WAY, bigger than mine.

Boots said...

Hey Amy, Sorry this question doesn't apply to this post, but I was wondering if you had any siblings? I'm doing a post on Goths and siblings and if you have any, and are interested, I'd love to interview you. Let me know ^^

ultimategothguide said...

Boots - no siblings. Well, my sister died the year before I was born of leukaemia, I had two stepbrothers pre-Goth whom I don't see any more and I have two adult half-brothers whom I've never met. So, no 'active' siblings, technically. I look forward to your post, though.

Anonymous said...

found some really nice hats on a steampunk website. Pricey, but delightful. If only I had money...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...