THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES

Tuesday, 16 August 2011

It's a Goth life

I approach this post with a mix of dread and apprehension; this blog was never intended to focus heavily on myself (although you wouldn't believe it from my camwhoring - sorry about that), in fact at the very beginning when this site was still my little Piczo baby I intended to remain anonymous. However, dear reader, I do have more reasons for posting what amounts to a personal journal entry than simply the advancement of an ego that already dwarfs England, Wales, and the southernmost parts of Scotland.

Firstly, to show concerned parents of babybats that living la vida Gothic doesn't consist of sitting in a dark room listening to music, smoking opium in seedy bars, or bloodletting and filing one's teeth (at least not all the time). Secondly because I consider some of my readers to be my friends, and when interesting (or awful) things happen I want to tell my friends about it. And thirdly because the great responses to my 'behind the scenes' Gothing-up post and my daily outfit photos have been pretty encouraging (so it's your fault!), so I wanted to take those kinds of posts one step further.

Admittedly there is a lot of 'me' going on here at the Goth Guide right now, between reviews, Goth challenge posts and daily outfit photos, but worry not - I have no intention of neglecting all my other regular kinds of posts as well. Including the fashion style posts - I'm just spacing them out a bit more so I don't run out of material too soon! If - and only if - you guys like 'Goth Life', I will make it a semi-regular occurrence. If not, consider this a one-off to let you know what is going on in my world right now.

I'm writing this on my laptop in my bedroom at eleven o'clock at night. My bedroom looks like something exploded, which should go some way towards explaining why it's taking me so long to get my oft-promised sale up and running. I'm tired after a day at work, but buoyed by the knowledge that I will actually have gainful employment until Christmastime at least, and extremely proud of my other half, Dan, who this evening rang with news of his promotion - from temporary van driver's assistant to full time 'office bitch'. I hear that's the technical term, which, I guess, makes me the office bitch's bitch.

My pit. It's actually worse facing the other direction. I am a Gothslob...
This month has been a tricky one to negotiate. I think everyone must have those times when each new day unfolding feels like a trek across a minefield. Earlier this month my mum was diagnosed with multiple sclerosis, tricky to pronounce and trickier to cope with. To begin with we thought we were dealing with a trapped or compressed nerve that would be alleviated with physiotherapy or - worst case scenario - some minor surgery. But no, a serious progressive illness it is. Mum is the stoic one in the family and so to all appearances life continues much as usual, although there is now growing pressure on yours truly to find a permanent job and of course learn to drive.

Stoic or not the news has hit everyone hard, and there are good days and bad days for all the family, especially Mum herself. I'm sure you will understand that as the illness progresses there may be times when I can't post as often as I would like; my nan also has health issues and as Mum becomes less physically able I will need to step up and take care of them both. Yikes.

In other, more cheerful news, my birthday is rapidly approaching. Despite the fact I absolutely loathe cooking, I for some reason decided it would be a great idea to throw a vampire-themed dinner party and spent £15 on The Vampyre Cookbook by Leah Barrows. Now, I know very little about cooking and all things kitchen, and unfortunately I think that Leah's recipes expect one to have at least some rudimentary knowledge in this department. Nonetheless I have forged ahead, and have been testing my experimental menus on poor Dan. On the plus side, so far only one has made him vomit. (Apparently cocoa powder in abundance makes him sick. I will try to remember that in future.)
Full of post-its!
My parents managed to land me a pretty good birth date, accidental though it may have been. Not only does my birthday fall on International Talk Like A Pirate Day (a fun fact I just can't tell people enough) but it's also in September, which means that all the stores are bringing out their Halloween goodies ready for October. I was pretty ennui-laden about Halloween last year, but now I'm already craving black-and-orange stripes and spiderweb socks. My shop manager, by the way, has asked me to take charge of the window displays for Halloween, which pleases me. Talk about using your assets.

A post on Sebastian Columbine's Tumblog drew my attention to the fab range of bath and body goodies available for Halloween. I had never considered the possibility of Goth-friendly hand sanitiser before, but now my eyes have been opened to a whole new world. A quick Etsy search later, and I now have bat soaps and steampunk deodorant (yes, really) on my must-have list. If only I could stop spending money on random frivolities long enough to actually buy anything on my must-have list...

Listening to: Laced/Unlaced by Emilie Autumn
Reading: Eragon by Christopher Paolini

23 comments:

Dalestair Ophelia Zodiac said...

*HUGS TIGHTLY*

While I may not know you personally, I too consider my fellow bloggers and followers friends. Therefore, I am here for you if you need. <3

Also, my room looks very similar! Fear not, fellow bat. :)

SaryWalrus said...

I think Goth Life is a wonderful idea. :)

The Green Fairy said...

I love hearing about your life Amy, and I hope you consider me a friend; because I totally plan on crashing your country sometime in the future! <3

I wish I could come to your party! I bet it'll be fun!

On a serious note, I'm very sorry to hear about your Mum :( I know how family stresses can effect you when you're required to step up to the big-responsibility-plate when you're not so sure you're ready for it :/ But it gets easier :) I'm thinking of you [..even more than usual ;)tehehe]

Minakitty said...

I am very sorry to hear about your mother. We are lucky to live in a time with better options regarding treatment, such as potentially disease-modifying medications (though, often injected-ouch!). I myself was diagnosed with MS nearly 6 years ago. There are good and bad days, and it effects everyone differently (e.g. some days I'm amazed I can get out of bed, yet the local club Friday night DJ manages just fine).

Take care :)

BallerinaDark said...

Oh your room looks similar to mine! We have the same Victoria Frances posters :)and also the same mess ahah

You could make a side-blog to this one to share your personal life..like a diary or something.. :)


Unlacing the Victorians said...

Steampunk deodorant?! NOW I think I've seen everything.

I am so sorry to hear about your mother's recent MS diagnosis. My grandmother suffered from that disease for 25 years. It is a terrible one, but I hope the doctors are giving her good advice. One thing my family wishes my grandmother had done more of was exercise- apparently exercise slows the progression of the disease, something that wasn't well known at the time of her own diagnosis.

Also, you might find this post interesting, as it mixes three things I think you like:
-Halloween
-faeries
-MS research

http://unlacethevictorians.blogspot.com/2011/07/fantasy-tries-to-defeat-real-life.html

Who knows? Maybe you could start a Goth one in your own area!

Tenebris In Lux said...

I kind of agree with BallerinaDark: if you feel guilty about uploading more personal-ish posts, you could create a side blog.

Very sorry to hear about your mum .. if there's anything we can do you can let us know.

Angel of Darkness said...

Goth Life sounds seems to me like a really good idea. And I am so sorry about your mom. *hugs*

VictorianAndroid said...

I like hearing about your life. I'm also sorry to hear about your mom. Two of my friends parents have MS and I know sometimes it can be hard and a bit scary.

akumaxkami said...

I'm sorry to hear about your mother, that must be pretty hard on you. It's very admirable that you're stepping up to the plate though to take care of her...I don't think many people today respect and love their parents enough to do something so noble.

I liked this post. I really think you should do these more often.

Mike Piasta said...

Sorry to hear about your mom, it's a tough thing to go through.

When i was growing up my stepfather (at the time) was diagnosed with MS. I watched him go from someone who had been full of life and energy to someone who had to use a wheelchair to get around. He ended up going in for surgery to get a pump implanted in him to inject the treatment directly into his spine.

Last I head he's doing much better now, with the advancements in treatment he's been able to walk again, I think without the use of a cane now as well. (I haven't been in contact for many many years, our family sort of split apart shortly after the diagnosis, my mom couldn't handle it I guess.)

Thankfully we live in a time with much better treatments, (that was over a decade ago) that allow for much better prognosis.

Best wishes to you and your family.

VictorianKitty (Sophistique Noir) said...

Very, very sad about your mom. Many good thoughts are coming your way! Take good care of her! We all reach a point where our parents start to need us more than we need them...

I like at least some "personal" posts on a blog. It makes them more human, and there are plenty of cold, emotionless Web sites out there already. Please do share whenever you feel inspired to do so.

PS: Your birthday is the day after mine. :) You're pretty messy for a Virgo! ;-D

Nightwind said...

I'm very sorry to hear about your Mum, but from what I have been able to gather from reading The Ultimate Goth Guide since I recently discovered it, she has a wonderfully caring and intelligent daughter who is more than equipped to help her along. My best wishes go to you, your Mum and your entire family.

As for what you're doing with your blog, I think it's wonderful. I only discovered The Ultimate Goth Guide a few weeks ago, but I visit it just about every day now. Your posts are well thought out, intelligent, well written and yes, I just love seeing you in all of your outfits. You're a true inspiration; even to an older guy like me.

Emily Lynn G. said...

My prayers are with your mother and your family, Amy<3 My birthday is in November so I know how you feel! I like learning about your life, so you can keep these posts up...your Amy and Dan adventures are adorable to( can't believe he vomited, what a good sport!)

Dark Fantomzy said...

I am so sorry about your mom. You should be proud of yourself for stepping up to take care of her. Best wishes to your family in a difficult time.

As for your blog, I like the idea of "Goth Life" and I hope you do more.

Take care and again, best wishes <3

ultimategothguide said...

Ack, you guys! I teared up a little bit then *.* I'm British, dammit, where's my stiff upper lip?

@ Dark Fantomzy - thank you. I will ^^

@ Emily Lynn - he didn't want me to know that my cooking made him sick so he tried to hide it. FAIL.

@ Nightwind - thank you so much. To hear that (or rather, read it) from a stranger really means a lot to me. <3

@ VictorianKitty - thank you! Yeah, funnily enough I was asked about my star sign by a customer today. I always feel compelled to explain that I am far from being a 'typical' Virgo. :-/

@ Mike - I'm sorry to hear that you went through a similar situation. We are waiting to learn more from doctors about what treatment is available so it's good to know that there are things they can do.

@ akumaxkami - thank you <3 I will keep these posts up!

@ VictorianAndroid - thank you. Scary is definitely the word. :-/ Since diagnosis a lot of people have mentioned that they know someone who has it, which struck me as odd because I'd never heard much about an illness that seems to be relatively common.

@ Angel of Darkness - thank you *hugs back*

@ Tenebris - thank you for the support :-)

@ Unlacing the Victorians - thanks for the link, it was an interesting read! Mum has been recommended to take lots of exercise so I guess it must make quite a difference. Fingers crossed!

@ BallerinaDark - slobs together! :-P

@ MinaKitty - sorry to hear that. I think my first reaction was along the lines of 'here goes all her quality of life' but from comments here and from what people are telling me it's not the dead-end it initially seemed. I guess I need to do my research.

@ The Green Fairy - of course I consider you a friend, you daft sausage XP I look forward to meeting you in person ^^

Not ready for it is an understatement, adulthood still seems a long way away mentally if not biologically... Thanks for the support :-)

@ Sary - thank you ^^

@ Dalestair - *hugs back* thank you, it means a lot. :-)

Anonymous said...

Good grief, Amy, when will you ever learn that you can do no wrong? *flouncy dramatic eyeroll* As long as you keep posting, that is. ;}

Dude, I'm glad I'm not the only gothslob. Your room looks just like mine. It is a tragedy.

P.S. Thanks for introducing me to "Pretentious, Moi?" I'm listening to the song "Astrid" right now. <3

Anonymous said...

Also, best wishes to your mum and the rest of your family. Mine had cancer for a while, so I hear you. *hugs*

Sakara said...

I'm really sorry to hear your mum has MS. Its a bitch, but females tend to do better with it than males. There is also much recent research into new treatments for the condition, so there is a bright hope on the horizon.

Venus said...

I'm soo Sorry about your mother. Hugs from North Carolina :)
When IS your birthday? Ive only recently found about this blog at least 4 weeks ago so I have no idea about anything >.< Your room reminds me of my own! Except when I was 8, my parents decided to paint my dressers and headboard bright, Bubblegum pink...

The Green Fairy said...

Daft sausage :P You are so adorable <3 Love you (I went there!)

Black Rose said...

MS? I'm sorry.
The good news is that new treatments are in the works.
The good news is that the condition has been correctly diagnosed.
The good news is that your mum has you.

LovleAnjel said...

Sorry to hear about your mom! I hope she has a good doctor and gets the best of help.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...