THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES

Wednesday, 10 August 2011

Male Goth style icons

There are many well-known female superstars of the Goth scene, if I may use such a term, like Adora BatBrat, Elvira, Siouxsie Sioux, Wednesday Mourning and others. But what about the guys? Here, for the delight and delectation of you boys and ghouls alike, are (in no particular order) a few of the best-dressed, most beautifully made-up, dramatically experimental and famously inspirational gentlemen in the scene, ever. Better yet, this is just the tip of the iceberg - there are many more out there.

Perish - fetish performer, photographer and model. There are no words for this man's outrageous gorgeousness and boundary-breaking concepts. Please go ogle his Model Mayhem account to see what I mean (some photos not suitable for younger readers!).

Perish
Image (c) Mathew Cooke / Perish Fashion
Robert Smith - infamously tousle-haired and lipstick-besmeared frontman of seminal band The Cure. A style icon and inspiration to Goths of both sexes since the 80s.
Source: Google Images
Johnny Slut - from the band Specimen, of Batcave fame.
Source: Deathrock.com
Clive from Gypsy 83 - yes he's a fictional character in a movie. And your point is what exactly?
Source: Tumblr
John Koviak - all right, so I'm not old enough to remember when Propaganda was still a Goth magazine instead of... whatever it is now. But John Koviak was in there. A lot. Oh, and he's a musician, too.
Source: Tumblr
Carl McCoy - frontman of Fields of the Nephilim.
Source: Google
Rozz Williams - tragically deceased frontman of the band Christian Death.
Source: Google
Who else should Goth guys be Googling when they need an inspiration fix? Astrovamps, Peter Murphy, Nick Cave, Andrew Eldritch, Morbius, Clint Catalyst, David Bowie, Adam Ant, Lux Interior, Skinny Puppy, Trent Reznor, Voltaire, Lucas Lanthier, Gary Numan, DespairsRay, Johnny Rotten, Ian Astbury, Alice Cooper, Al.B.Damned, Joe Black, Jack Spooky, Ronny Moorings, Whiplasher Bernadotte, Victor Love - and yes, even Marilyn Manson. Also a member of the Gothic.net forums has gained some infamy for his incredibly DIYs, scroll down on this page to check out HauntedHouse. The above may not all be specifically 'Goth' but they do all have original, influential styles and sense of aesthetics.

25 comments:

Tenebris In Lux said...

I would love to see a part two to this. A lot of male figures in the Goth subculture are deeply underrated. Thank you for the post, non the less ^^

Ah, Clive <3

Parasitic Alien said...

I take more inspiration from people online than people that are just random gothy celebrities. While I do take a lot of inspiration from Rozz Williams and Peter Murphy, I prefer to take advice from net.goths.

Also, the word verification was "ectie". What the heck is an "ectie?"

Angel of Darkness said...

Even though I am female, the male goths fashion inspires me lots!

Dirgesinger said...

Carl, Rozz...aww, loevely guys. And Robert, yes, I love you too:)

Bixie Willow said...

Hmmm, perhaps if you do another one of these you could include Voltaire. Currently listening to When You're Evil by Voltaire.

Maeam said...

Dear Hizumi...Despa 1999 - 6/15/2011
*Sigh*


I find males to be inspirational just as much as females. AH~! Whiplash~!!

akumaxkami said...

If they ever remake Labyrinth, for some god awful reason, if they don't cast Perish as the Goblin King I will cry.

Laura said...

Male goths are just as inspirational as female goths. This is an awesome post :)
I mean, not that all your posts aren't awesome as well.

Mary Zawadzki said...

oooo ... don't forget God: Peter Murphy and the Gothfather: Andrew Eldritch. ;) Both of these men inspired my Ed to Gothdom!

Great post Amy!

Chloris said...

Heyy, Amy's genius strikes again! Carl McCoy really caught my attention and reminded me of something. Is there a style of goth with a sort of "Western" feel to it? I know Gothabilly sort of touches on hillbilly... is that the closest it gets? Carl McCoy sorta looks like a western outlaw with eyeliner, so I'm curious!
Great post as always!

Magaly Guerrero said...

Carl McCoy is a dream. Ha! I just read the above comment and see that I'm not the only one with the hots. And Akumaxkami about Labyrinth; they better...

Jamie said...

Perish is so inspirational! I first became aware of him when I saw him modeling for Shrine's clothing line.

And of course, Rozz is one of my favorite male fashion icons as well. Devil horns to that guy. RIP

faoladh said...

Chloris: I've always called it "spaghetti western goth", and have been off and on pursuing the look since I first saw a Fields of the Nephilim video. I can't say that I've ever been really happy with how I've managed, but it is the goth look that most speaks to me.

Anonymous said...

And even if we all hate to admit it...Brandon LEEEEEEEEE!!!

But good heavens above, I have a taste for blonds as it is, so my eyeballs just about fell out of my head and rolled away, looking at some of those Perish pictures. Yikes. Great post, as usual, Amy. I would love to see more Goth dude fashion stuff. I'm a lady, but I adore gothic male looks and I often go for an androgynous look myself. You've given me a whole list of names to Google, now...

LadyFlaneur said...

For the record, Perish isn't as tall in real life as he appears to be in photos *bless that man and his 6+inch shoes* ^ ^

Anonymous said...

Thank you! Finally, a post with more than one picture of dashing gentlemen. I hope you post more of this.

Sara said...

You forgot Daid Bowie:p

Chloris said...

Faoladh! That is super neat. I'd love to pick your brain about your style!

faoladh said...

Chloris: My email is faoladh at gmail. I'd be happy to try to answer any questions.

Sal Kaye said...

I love Andrew Eldritch. I saw him life on stage once (in 2003). *sigh*

The Green Fairy said...

There's also Mattias Wolfenstein and Anachronaut <3

Shi said...

Ahh, gorgeous pictures - Perish has some great photos, I love some of his outfits! For style, I personally adore Kamijo, the vocalist of Versailles. I'd love to have his hair... ^^

ultimategothguide said...

@ Sara - no I didn't. Last paragraph, third line.

Anonymous said...

You have NO IDEA how happy I am to see Clint Catalyst on this list!!! Mana Sama is a good example as well.

Anonymous said...

Indeed, we need more Voltaire

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...