THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES

Thursday, 15 September 2011

Home decor tips for babybats

If you're a young Goth living at home and you think your parents would go spare if you started splashing black paint up the walls, never fear - here are a few tips for ways to Goth up your room without inciting parental wrath.

  • Candles look good, no matter what colour. Scented candles add a nice touch; stores like Tesco and The Range sell black candles with scents like 'Midnight Rose'.
  • Black bedsheets add a little darkness without being overwhelming. Or you could try a dark-coloured throw.
  • Posters are great for covering that icky wallpaper you chose when you were eight. You could try band posters, art posters (Victoria Frances posters are available on Amazon for about £3), or pictures and collages cut from magazines such as Orkus, Dominion, Gothic Beauty and Unscene.
  • Details make all the difference. Try a black rug, a vase of black faux roses, a coffin trinket box, or a (fake) skull or two.
  • Instead of re-painting, work with the colour scheme you've already got. If you have purple walls, then black and silver or deep crimson accessories would work well. If you have pink from your pre-teen Barbie-loving years you may have to be a bit more inventive, but luckily black goes with everything. Pink with black accents IS a staple for some Goths, after all.
  • If you have plain-coloured walls, then you can buy or make a stencil and add details in a different colour. For example, I used silver paint and a barbed-wire stencil to frame some posters on my wall. A tribal freize around the top of the room would look awesome, or you could try randomly-placed skulls'n'crossbones, stars, spiders, or whatever.
  • Make the most of Halloween! I have plastic bats (named Larry, Barry, Harry, Mo, Jo and Fred) hanging from my ceiling, and a (fake) tombstone under my window. All for bargain prices!
  • Jack O'Lanterns are a perfectly reasonable decorating choice all year round. Stock up now on pumpkin tea light holders, lamps, fairy lights or lampshades.
  • Decoration is all about atmosphere. Heavy curtains (they don't have to be black - mine are dark blue velvet), appropriate incense (my faves are Night Queen, Pagan Magic, Dragon's Blood and Moon), and a few flickering candles create ambience.
  • Get a cheap kids' sticker machine from somewhere like Argos, and make your own stickers to plaster over your drawers, CD rack etc. Mine are all made from MSN icons.
  • Look out at auctions, bootsales and charity shops for 80s and 90s memorabilia such as vinyl records and posters.
It's an old picture, but that's my room.

20 comments:

MissGracie said...

This reminds me that I need to decorate my dorm! It's so boring right now...

Do you have your computer back yet??

ultimategothguide said...

MissGracie - oh, I wish. :-/ We've bought a new one but we're waiting for the internet people to come and wire us up... apparently we need a new socket or... something. But that will take another couple of weeks. So I'm updating from my dad's house again. At least I CAN still update... :-(

linnea-maria said...

As an adult with my own house, I prefer light soft c olours. The furnitures are mainly 19th century victorian style. We will though paint one room black, the tv room, hopefully giving it a cinema or theater feeling to it. Instead of skulls and bats, I use crucifixes and old praying madonnas. No posters but paintings.

ultimategothguide said...

Linnea-Maria - sounds beautiful! I love the idea of cream or light grey walls with crucifixes.

SaryWalrus said...

As a young Goth that rents and has very pale un-pretty green walls I chose posters, mirrors and generally lace, EVERYWHERE.

I want a room like Clive's from Gypsy 83. It is my dream come true room!

Traicetrak said...

I painted my walls in a very neutral shade of yellow, and then used tea stain and, following instruction from a shabby chic website, dabbed it all over the walls with a wet towel to give it a dingy, aged look. Used an artist's brush to also paint in cracks. I get the most compliments on my walls, and people always have to touch the painted cracks to see if they're real. Took me several days (after work) to complete, but was very simple. Wish I could remember that website link . . .

Parasitic Alien said...

My room's really dark green. I pretty much gave it a dark fairy Avalon type feel to it. It's yay. :D

Gothik Crusader said...

My home is full of furnitures and it does not complement with some Gothic decoration and I don't have a bedroom either,I always sleep in the living room..But someday when I have my own house..I would really apply this tips!:)

Anonymous said...

Hi Amy,

Yep, this is the same Anon that also asked for your advice on getting a blog. Good news.....I got one! :-D I've only posted twice so far but I'm working on it! - http://babybatdanielle.livejournal.com/

xo :-)
.P.S. - Thanks for responding last time, I really do appreciate it.

Anonymous said...

I painted my room black when I was 13, and now at 21 I'm sick to death of it. It's soon getting painted over with a lovely, ethereal pale grey/lilac colour.

One little tip: try draping a nice light, airy fabric like organza or something similar over the top of the windows. I done this with a length of silver organza that I got for £7 in Ikea, it billows wonderfully when I have my window open!

Anonymous said...

Same anon as the previous comment, just something I forgot to add!

Matalan have some beautiful damask bedspreads and victorian style mirrors in their interior range right now that are really worth checking out. It's all quite reasonably priced too.

Angel of Darkness said...

I find that I always have trouble trying to find things to decorate my room. Hopfeully it will be different this time around.

AislingChild said...

Great post, very helpful! However, I just have a few things I hope you could help me out on...

My room is EXTRAORDINARILY messy. I always tidy it, resolve to keep it neat, and a couple of days later it's messy again. I'm also extrodinary clumsy. This added together means that I can't have candles in my room, because they'd be a massive fire hazard.

I have an aversion to posters in general.

I am (sadly) allergic to incense

I have cupcake curtains. I love them, but they don't exactly help reinforce the (as yet non existent)Queen of Darkness Lives Here aura

I know that these are just random statements, but I felt like commenting :)

Toxic Tea Party said...

Make sure to check out Martha Stewarts website too, I made my Coffin coffee table from a tutorial on her website! Also check out Womansday.com/specials. I just bought their Halloween 2011 magazine and I found some really great stuff!

Gothic Queen said...

Hi, I'm twenty and I'm sharing a room with my mother. For the mean time, while I look for some place to live. It's tough out here in Los Angeles, CA.

Anyway, I have my side of the room, and it's all dark and stuff. And on my mother's side of the room, it's all bright and shit. It must be funny from anyone else that's outside of our family.

Lucy said...

This is very helpful, I'm a 14yr old babybat who wants a darker bedroom and this has helped me a lot. Can't wait for my Christmas money. :3
Hope you get your new computer soon!

InfiltratorN7 said...

I recommend keeping an eye out at Christmas decorations ranges in places like garden centres. Sometimes you find suprisingly gothy/goth-friendly items you can use like glittery spider webs that you can put up all year round. Celtic themed shops in places like Wales can be useful as you can find lovely designs such as Celtic crosses and beautiful ornaments of mythical creatures such as dragons, faeries, gargoyles, etc. Keep an eye out in museum/historical site gift shops as well for items that could be used as decoration. A lot of them also tend to sell pirate stuff (pirates do seem to be popular among goths which is why I mention this).

Collecting post cards and even flyers from club nights and gigs can be a cheap form of decoration to put up on your wall. Stationary is another thing to look out for that can look good as well as being practically useful. You can find a lot of good stuff in places like Paperchase ranging from pens, diaries and note-pads through to storage containers of various shapes and sizes. They also tend to have other items too like cupcake cases, mugs and cute little lunch boxes.

TwistedRomantic said...

Ah! I've done almost all these already before I even saw this post! And yet my mother decided to take the incentive and redecorate for me, even though I spent about &100 at craft stores esp. Michael's gathering it all into my own haven v_v

But all truths, and I am planning to re-redecorate and am taking this as an opportunity to just spin a Different twist! >:)

Aliza said...

@AislingChild
my room is messy too :( and I have too much furniture. As for the cupcake curtains I reccomend costomizing. Try black lace trim and maybe 'Come to the dark side we have cupcakes' printed on it. I'm not allowed candles or incense... so I understand how muck it sucks. I hope I helped :).

Aliza said...

I also have my own little issue :(
I have bright blue-green walls, live in a small town (less stuff)and have a little bro (no incense or candles) My room is messy and overcrowded with furniture, and I don't have much time to rework my decor. Some advice please? Oh, I'm also 13... idk if that helps or not, but thought it might be useful.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...