THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES

Wednesday, 28 September 2011

Make-up inspiration from the 1920s

A commentor on this site once pointed out that the quintessential Goth make-up look is strongly inspired by the make-up seen in black-and-white photography from the 1920s. Recently I found myself in possession of a collection of photos by Jacques-Henri Lartigue, taken in Paris in the 20s and entitled Les Femmes Aux Cigarettes.

Cigarettes aside, I was taken by the beauty of the women and the care and attention they clearly took in their appearance, so I thought I would scan some of the images to share with you.

Lydia Johnson
The Rowe Sisters
"In Paris during the twenties, music-hall performers were incarnations of that gay, giddy era. Their tart-like painted faces, odd charm, their rhinestone and real millionaires' jewelry set off by the fringes that were fashionable..." - Jacques-Henri Latigue, who could nearly have been talking about the painted faces and odd charm of Goth girls...
"I have always liked to take pictures of women, fashionable ladies, mannequins, demi-mondaines. They all have a style so unlike men. For me they are likes cakes in a bakery - delicious to look at even if one is not very hungry; smelling good even if one is not tempted." - Jacques-Henri Lartigue. 

10 comments:

Lady Of Gothica said...

major beauty..luv it

Traicetrak said...

Are you familiar with TheJillkill on YouTube? Talk about impressive, 20's inspired style! She's absolutely gorgeous.

Ashlee said...

Oh, I love 1920s makeup!

The colours they used were great, too.

babybatdanielle said...

Amy,
I read you blog that mentioned me and my arm warmer idea from your DIY blog.....I'm not kidding, as I type this now, I'm actually crying! You have no idea how much it means to me that I was mentioned. You are the best.
Danielle xo :-)
PS - More DIY things coming up soon, hopefully!

VictorianKitty (Sophistique Noir) said...

I am so enamored with the drama of 1920s eye makeup. Every time I watch an old silent movie, I can't help but giggle inside because they were so Goth. ;)

Nightwind said...

I have always enjoyed photos of women in the 20's. The fashion back then was awesome. It was a time of free thinking and liberation for the ladies as well. That may have something to do with the styles of that era.

babybatdanielle said...

Oh, and one more thing:
I always find the 1920s very interesting, especially the make-up and hairstyles. :-)

BallerinaDark said...

I love everything from the past. Fashion was SO much better that today's. So much sophisticated, so much more classy.. ♥

Anonymous said...

Hi Amy!
First off, we miss you!
Secondly, I check your site numerous times everyday.
And lastly I was wondering if you could check out my youtube channel http://www.youtube.com/BrokenAspirations
and perhaps leave a comment or something...? =P

Anonymous said...

Hi Amy. I would like to tell you about my type of goth, UniversalGoth. It's a type of goth that centers around the Universal Monsters that mixes up vampiregoth, cybergoth, victoriangoth, and steampunk. I wonder if you could make something of this. Thank you for reading.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...