THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES

Friday, 7 October 2011

"Autumn" Goth - warm tones in Goth

I recently had an intriguing comment from Cassandra, who said, "Hello, I'm new to the world of goth. I've been surveying it from afar for a while now, and I've decided it's time to take a closer look. The "goth palette" is currently one of my biggest obstacles to exploring the goth look. Don't get me wrong; I think it's gorgeous, it just seems custom-made to be exactly wrong for me. My skin has a kind of ivory caste to it that you would think would be great for goth. But whenever I wear really cool colors, the ivory turns downright yellow. I have the same problem with wearing silver, which is even more unfortunate. I've been toying with the idea of accessorizing with enameled metal to get around the silver problem. And black isn't a problem for me, especially if it's a sable/sepia kind of black. But if I'm going to experiment with the goth look it would be nice if I had some other options to play with besides black. Does anyone have any ideas? Maybe I should forge my own subgenre: "Autumn Goth" ..."

I'm sure that when it comes to warm tones, for many of us the first style that comes to mind is Steampunk Goth, with its heavy emphasis on brass, copper, sepia, brown and cream. Some styles of faerie and tribal Goth fashion also utilise earthy colours such as browns and greens - I'm sure that copper jewellery would look lovely with these.

Personally, I like to wear accent colours like orange and gold when I'm feeling a bit Halloween-y (doesn't everyone get that hankering for the spooky atmosphere and theatrical Gothy cheesiness at random throughout the year?), such as black and orange striped tights and a glittery gold design on a T-shirt (with pumpkin hair clips, of course!). Burgundy and deep red are also popular colours for Goth fashion.

Perhaps a take on ice Goth fashion, except utilising cream and off-white, which are warmer, might also be an idea? I absolutely would die for this 'steampunk bride' ensemble by Vecona:

(c) Vecona
Photograph by Viona
My two most-admired geniuses...
Source: Google Images
And yes, I ABSOLUTELY would get married in this!

Frankly I think that Autumn Goth sounds lovely and would work very well - I highly doubt that the lovely Cassandra is the only Gothling whose colouring simply doesn't work with cool tones. In fact, I think I might give this style a spin myself sometime.

Since warm colours are rarely seen in the Goth 'palette' this would also be an unusual and interesting twist on Goth fashion. By all means experiment with gold and copper jewellery and accents - I can't for a moment imagine why this wouldn't work! For inspiration, I recommend Googling Vecona, and there are also several sets on Viona-Art using autumnal shades, such as this one (clothing by Vecona, again...) and this one.

23 comments:

Toxic Tears said...

I've already been to poundworld for the black and orange stripy stockings.OwO<3 Going to buy a bundle just before halloween so I'm stocked up for the year. I'd say a halloweeny look is definitely the best bet. Yet it somehow draws even more attention than usual.x__x

Miss Esther Romaine said...

Hm, I just bought my first pair of black and orange striped tights. =)

Mira said...

Shades of red tend to look very striking with black- really, almost any color will, as long as it's rich (which many autumnal colors are!)

LucretiaLevi said...

Steampunk was also the first substyle that came into my mind when I began reading this entry.
You could try warmer shades of red or purple or what about green, off white sounds nice too. I mean, hey, black goes with anything (although I hate orange and gold, but these colours may look nice on other people)

Anonymous said...

While I've never worn them in public, I've come to call some of my outfits 'mori-goth'. Mori-girl is a newer fashion from Japan based around long flowing dresses and ripped layers in white, off-white- and muted colors. Hair is usually left messy and you're supposed to look very bedraggled. It's basically meant to give the impression you walked out of a forest. Add some make-up and a few dark accessories (like a black lace glove or silver pendent) and I don't know what looks more goth.

Cassandra said...

If anyone else is interested in this line of experimentation, I've discovered something very striking. I went to the fabric store to see what I had to work with, and none of the shades I looked at were quite as dark as what I was looking for. Then I decided to try draping a sheer black material over dark green or dark brown, and it made for a very shrouded look. I think I will definitely have to make some clothes incorporating that effect.

Thanks so much for the support, everyone!

Jamie said...

Oh, I love the idea of "Autumn Goth." I actually have a lot of brown and gold in my wardrobe still from my forays into Steampunk and from consistently being told that those colors were flattering on me, but I've been hesitant to wear them on account of the "no mixing brown and black" rule-I think it's time I broke that rule!

Cassandra said...

Yes, we shall break the rule! We shall be as Persephone, take our fertile earthiness, and become Queens of the Underworld!

(Yay! Any day I manage to make a mythology reference is a good day!)

Snowhyte said...

I love this idea! I love color, and while my outfits most often consist of black and gray pieces, I love 'fall colors' and my hair is naturally brown which makes those deep jewel tones (burgundy, plum, gold, etc) compliment my natural coloring. A combination of styles that works would be amazing! Great thoughts in this post.

Hexotica said...

I'm also a 'warm' skin tone, so there are a few tricks I've learned to keep gothic colors looking good on me:
I don't go for 'blue-black' when I dye my hair; 'ebony black' is just that tiny bit warmer and less harsh with my tone;
I keep my make-up colors warm; burgundy lips; warm-pinkish eye make up, peachy blush; etc.
And lastly, I moved from wearing mainly black to wearing mainly color offset with black (though not always!) I wear heaps more color than I use to and I think it does suit my skin tone better.

I love the autumn goth look of steampunk outfits in all white or cream--I really want to try out a look like this beautiful picture!!

Violetta said...

Amy, do you have a Facebook? You're too awesome :P

Anonymous said...

suck my cock

Anonymous said...

Dear Rude Anonymous,
If you're going to make such a rude suggestion I do believe you should do it yourself.

Cassandra said...

I doubt he's talented enough.

Yet Another Anonymous said...

Zing!

Vanity Kills said...

I blogged about my take on autumnal goth recently.
http://www.lip-service.com/webzine/2011/09/28/helianthus/

Snowhyte said...

This post inspired my makeup for today, if you want to check it out:
http://myspotinthespectrum.blogspot.com/2011/10/makeup-and-nails-and-sock-monkeys.html

I'd love to hear feedback! May I post a link to this post in my own?

Arisu said...

Kon'nichiwa misueimī wa, tīpātī o hosuto nitsuite wa nani ga aru nodesu ka? Watashi wa 17-sai no tanjō-bi no tame no gothy ka o shitai...

ultimategothguide said...

Mori-Goth Anonymous - I LOVE the mori-girl look but somehow never thought of incorporating it into Goth... I sense a future post idea. ^^

Violetta - no, I'm not on FB. Thanks though :-)

Snowhyte - I love it! Feel free to link. ^^ Really loving your whole blog actually!

Vanity Kills - heh, I'm a big fan! :-D

Kitty Lovett; The Unadulterated Cat said...

Get married in that dress, so I can wear my Mad Hatter tophat.

This is the only reason for you to get married, obviously. (sorry dan, it's been decided)

Snowhyte said...

Thanks! :D

Lady Grace said...

YES! The only thing I don't like about Goth is the fact that black makes my face look yellow, and colors like ivory, cream, orange and brown are much more flattering. Maybe one day we will be 'Elder Autumn Goths'. Thank you so much, both of you (Cassandra and Amy!)

Anonymous said...

I've been thinking about something very similar to this as I love the Halloween season with wearing black and orange, even in stripes, and other warm tones with a little Halloween imagery, but not too much, as well as some accessories.

I was thinking of like a Victorian, or Medieval style of clothing, but other types like casual, can be used.

I was to call it Halloween Goth, or Pumpkin Goth. XD

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...