THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES

Wednesday, 5 October 2011

Customise your suitcase

Because you're hardly going to attend Whitby/DV8/WGT/Under the Blue Moon/insert name of Gothy fest here without a suitcase as unique as the rest of your garb (or at the very least, black).

I wouldn't want to offer any hard-and-fast suitcase-customising rules (that would be a little odd) so if I may I'll offer some general tips (and some pictures of my own suitcase).

You are likely to need:
- a suitcase, obviously
- fabric paint
- fabric glue
- keyrings
- patches (handmade or otherwise)
- appliques (ditto)
- paintbrush
- badges (although these can be a right pain on a crowded train as they tend to get caught on things)
- miscellaneous other items (such as stick-on jewels, plastic spiders, safety-pins, lace, etc.)

Be aware that, if travelling abroad, you stand next to no chance of getting a suitcase covered in badges/pins/other sharp objects onto a plane.

The plastic spider on the handle of my suitcase required a very strong all-purpose adhesive - everything else was attached with fabric glue (make sure it's waterproof!).

I know it sounds obvious, but make sure your suitcase is empty before you get busy with the paintbrush - the paint may soak through, and there's nothing worse than discovering that you have single-handedly ruined your favourite vintage skirt.

Scraps of fabric can be used to make interesting details... the stripy accents and hearts on my suitcase are from an old sock.
Trailing lace and ribbons look pretty but may get caught in zips, doors etc., so be careful.

Keep an eye out in antique shops for vintage luggage. You could leave it as-is for a traditional look or give it a steampunk theme with cogs and gears.

7 comments:

Tenebris In Lux said...

That's so wicked looking!

.. And a good idea too. Thanks!

siouxsiel said...

I absolutely love this. This is going on my list of things to do. (I also need to find goth reusable grocery bags, and a goth apron (if you have any leads....))

Traicetrak said...

I would not have thought! I love the Siouxsie Sioux eyes and the stripey detail. The whole "customize-everything!" may be my favorite part of goth/punk style.

ultimategothguide said...

@ Siouxsiel - I got my Nightmare Before Christmas grocery bags for £5 each from a gift shop in Basingstoke, which probably isn't much help to you. Have you tried Etsy for aprons?

@ Tenebris and Traicetrak - thanks! ^^

Ghoulina Bones said...

I love this!
I was recently on vacation, earlier last month, and my suitcase was a plain black one.
Which of course, looked just like everyone else's, when I was trying to find my luggage!
I need to do this to my suitcase, I can't believe I hadn't thought of it before!
Such a great idea!
:D

black baloons said...

wow your suitcase is amazingly fab! it looks soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo cool! I am so doing that this weekend at my freinds sleepover. at the christmas I am getting tartan jeans (neon green!) do goths wear tartan (neon)? xxx

InfiltratorN7 said...

What a great idea! Customising your suitcase is a practical idea as well as when you're waiting for your luggage to appear on the conveyor belt in an airport it's inevitable you're going to see similar looking suitcases. You want yours to stand out so you can more easily spot it.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...