THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES

Tuesday, 18 October 2011

Styles of Goth fashion: ghost Goth

It's about time I got back on blogging schedule (although I am a little lost without my spreadsheet; still hoping it can be recovered from the wreck of my poor dead PC, which I loved dearly), and I haven't forgotten all the nudges you guys gave me regarding styles of Goth fashion I haven't covered yet. I'm in a terrible mood today, so I'm going to cheer myself up by covering a current favourite: ghost Goth.

When a reader described ghost Goth to me, I thought it sounded like another name for ice Goth due to the predominance of white in this fashion style. However, doing my research, I found out that ghost Goth is a genuine style subset in its own right. Ghost Goth incorporates mostly white and grey with black accents and tends towards an ethereal look, although clothes may be distressed to make them look more, well, ghostlike!

Source
The anon source who first mentioned ghost Goth on my blog describes the style thusly, "They tend to have white/light blonde hair, though one girl I spoke to had silver/grey ombre dyed hair with black tips." This style, as you may have noted, has some similarities to dark faerie and ethergoth style. The clothing is likely to tend towards the romantic, although some Victorian elements would fit nicely with the ghostly theme, and styles such as J-rock and Visual Kei may also provide some inspiration.

Suitable accessories and accoutrements for the ghost Goth may include veils, tattered chokers or wristbands, corsages, silver chains and jewellery, and subtle pieces of memento mori such as coffin earrings or a skull cameo brooch. Other than white and grey, ice blue, lilac and lavender could also be incorporated into this look.

Both ladies and gentlemen are likely to be clad in ruffled or torn white shirts, with long, flowing pale hair. Make-up may incorporate similar shades as the fashion; up to and including grey, white or ice blue lipstick. The overall effect is haunting and melancholic but slightly punkier than ethergoth with stompy boots and torn lace tights.

Examples of ghostlike Goth fashion I've found on my journeys around the internets can be found here and here (I got those for my birthday from my nan, just FYI).

There is no particular subset of music associated with ghost Goth, but suitably haunting sounds could include Hannah Fury, Midnight Configuration, Johnny Hollow, Bauhaus, Cocteau Twins, Rising Shadows, Faith and the Muse, October Project and Switchblade Symphony.

16 comments:

Mira said...

Some of those suggestions sound really gorgeous!

Anonymous said...

I was that anon!
Really glad you looked into it further! :D great post.

Kitty Lovett; The Unadulterated Cat said...

>buy old wedding dress
>go back to blonde hair
>walk around pretending to be the ghost of a murdered bride from the 19th century
>???
>profit

ultimategothguide said...

^ dream job.

Although my hair is currently orange, actually.

Kitty Lovett; The Unadulterated Cat said...

HOW WHY AND PICS.

ultimategothguide said...

Peroxide, because I'm aiming to go white blonde eventually but apparently six years worth of permanent black dye is a bitch to shift, and pics later today.

Kitty Lovett; The Unadulterated Cat said...

Amy, I love you, so I'm going to tell you it straight - you are a weasley. Get thee to a salon.

LucretiaLevi said...

there are so many substyles, it´s really fascinating. Thanks a lot for posting Amy! I think I will try the Ghost Goth look once, scince I have a great white corsett.

Unlacing the Victorians said...

It really amazes me how many subsets of a subculture people come up with. Thanks for delving into this and discovering a whole new fashion of goth for us!

ultimategothguide said...

Kitty - I love you too, but don't hate on my ginger.

Snowhyte said...

Very informative, thank you for this post, I hadn't fully realized all the different varieties and branches of goth styles till I began reading on here and looking more online, this is great!

Sheridan said...

My god I definitly should put myself more into this scene ... My taste changed & I'm less and less in the 'blackness' around ... Hmmm. Maybe I am growing up (readed a blog about it, just forgot the name of who it was >_>)

BallerinaDark said...

I didn't know there was an actual "ghost goth" substyle..looks good!
I want to try it! :D

and omg Adora is so gorgeous in that picture..she always is actually, but that picture she is hyper-gorgeous! :P



gothicdivinemagazine.blogspot.com

Under_The_Stairs said...

Well,this is new.I've honestly never heard of "ghost goth"(Then again I hadn't ever heard of "ice goth",and that apparently exist.

High Arka said...

...still trying and failing to find a place to order Adora Bratbrat CDs to match with their pics.

black baloons said...

wow I might and be a ghost goth they sound amazing! i am a regular goth age 12 and i love your blog, how many different types of goths are their? xxx

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...