THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES

Tuesday, 1 November 2011

It's a Goth life: my Halloween

Yesterday for me required two costumes. I knew that at least two of my friends would be popping into my workplace to see if I had dressed up, but I didn't want to get fired, give any old dears aneurysms, or scare any small children, so for work I chose a surprisingly colourful, Cheshire cat themed outfit (the first Disney Cheshire Cat, because I own more stuff in pink and purple than in blue).

I was slightly disappointed with the make-up because the false eyelashes I bought to go with it didn't stick (rubbish glue) so it was a bit lacklustre. But for work it did the job!




From top to toe:
Ears: Claire's, £4
Collar: pet store, £1
Necklace: Rock Love, as part of a Gothic Beauty subscription gift pack
T-shirt: charity shop, £2.50
Hoodie: Living Dead Souls, on sale at alt shop, £15
Belt: alt store, £25
Skirt: either Sai Sai or GLP, Camden Market, £20
Tights: Asda, £2
Boots: New Rock via Attitude Clothing, £150

I still got a ten-minute lecture from one old lady because my cat ears startled her. "What are you wearing those ears for?! You scared me half to death!" I responded, slightly bewildered, that it was Halloween, and she looked the rest of my up and down and said, "Yes, I see that now." I decided not to tell her that everything from the neck down was pretty much how I dress every day.

Luckily, the next customer who came in was delighted to see somebody dressed up and said I was 'marvellous' and 'a tonic'.

I'd spent the morning trying to remember NOT to be offended when people complimented my Halloween costume, since that day I happened to actually be wearing one! The weirdest thing was walking around town on my lunch break; usually in my everyday clothes people point and stare and shout stuff, but on Halloween it's kind of expected that there will be people wearing unusual get-ups so everyone was polite and respectful. I wish that attitude was held more from day-to-day, not just once a year...

There was a moment of panic near the end of the day when my manager implied that I might have to work late! Thankfully everything got done in time and I managed to escape and head home to change into my next costume.

T-shirt: as above
Skirt: Sai Sai or GLP, £25
Fishnets: no idea, probably about £2
Boots: as above
Necklace: Rock Love, as above
Dress: made in-store by volunteers at my local PDSA charity shop. I have been ruining their Halloween window displays for the last fortnight by buying half of it...

I wasn't originally going to wear this costume for the evening; I had dinner plans with Dan, my dad, and our family friends Gifford and Marva and I was pretty sure nobody else would be in costume. I also wasn't sure how well fake blood and zombie make-up would be received. But in the end I was so glad I wore it; our amazing hostess thanked me for dressing up which completely made my day!

The dinner was absolutely AMAZING. We had 'eyeballs', rum punch (complete with severed hand made out of ice), pumpkin with garlic, a Jamaican rice dish, home made apple crumble, red velvet cake and more! I had seconds and thirds, then ice cream and crumble and then cake, so my dress was nearly splitting at the seams. I actually had to take it off because the bodice was uncomfortably tight (I had a T-shirt and skirt on underneath).

We were really amused that Marva had managed to match the decorations on her delicious cake to my tattoo - without actually knowing I HAD a tattoo! :-)
Here are some more pictures taken by our host:

Advertising my dad's Vampire Blood Bank wine bottle labels (my concept, as I always have to interject)

Few people know that Dan and I have a system whereby we take it in turns to close our eyes in photographs...
So I had an absolutely wonderful Halloween night! How was yours?

19 comments:

Audronasha The Countess said...

those cat ears are really cute. and i love your blond hair. Suits you :)

linnea-maria said...

I love both the outfit at work and your costume! Sounds like a lovely evening. We had a party for the children on sunday, and scared them a lot, lol. Monday was a calm ordinary day. With no door bell ringing, we live by a very dark path ( no children who dare to come knocking).

Under_The_Stairs said...

Man,celebrating Halloween looks so fun.My mom hasn't let me celebrate since I was three :(.Oh well.By the way those cat ears are adorable.

Nightwind said...

I'm glad that you had such a nice Halloween. You really did look wonderful. I enjoy your creativity.

волшебный таракан said...

Du bist sehr seht schön:)

Spooky Vegan said...

Yay for Halloween! Your costumes are cute!

This year we attended some parties and on Halloween night carved pumpkins and watched horror movies...it was all over too soon!!

Now onto planning next year's costumes! :)

Anonymous said...

ohmigosh i have the exact same kitty ears as you do (: i was going to wear them, but i couldn't find them. =/ ohh, and i think your costume is awesome (y)

ultimategothguide said...

Thanks everyone! :-D

волшебный таракан - Danke ^^

Daniel_8964 said...

I'm glad that your halloween was excellent. It seemed you had a great time even in the end was more surprising :)

Tante Fledermaus said...

Wait, cat ears are startling? What is going ON in your country? Lordy.

Allison Paige Eckfeldt said...

The white dress is so so so epic!! :) I love it! by the way I got you a halloween sweater today! ;) I'll e-mail you with further details! today was a very busy day at work so i didn't get around to e-mailing you earlier about it. ;/

LucretiaLevi said...

I like both you Halloween costumes, can´t decide which one I prefer, they are so different, but the both suit you!
I didn´t dress up in a costume for Halloween, but I played around with fake blood fot the first time.
(experiences and tips can be found on my blog!)

BallerinaDark said...

I want those kitty ears too !! *-* They are so cute!!

You look awesome in both outfits :)




B-dark

gothicdivinemagazine.blogspot.com

Jade said...

I absolutely love both of your costumes, especially the second one, i personally didn't really do much for halloween, but some really cute small children came to the door for some sweets ( they were so adorable :D )

by the way, your hair looks great!

Ms. Lou said...

Love the white dress! I think it's hilarious that someone was startled by kitty ears! They must be constantly startled, if they are shocked by that.

Fae said...

I love the dress and my Halloween was good even though it did rain. Me and my friends didn`t care to be honest and we danced as people gave us weird looks and eye rolls! :P

LovleAnjel said...

The second costume is great! You look awesome.

James Randomlight said...

hi,I never caught your name,sorry. I read the story about Halloween and was very amused! That was me too! I did not care either,the wilder the better. I remember wearing my pj's into town one afternoon lol and then purchasing a a rather fetching leopard skin coat from Oxfam, Class!Thanx for sharing,I hope I'm not being too nosey :)

Anonymous said...

That looks so neat!
I might be Emily the Corpse Bride for Halloween, or at least some version of her since I have tan skin. I was a Clopin Trouillefou-esque harlequin this year (ah! Only 2 hours and 15 mins. until the New Year!).

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...