THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES

Wednesday, 30 November 2011

Q&A time...

Apologies for the unexpected absence, had a bit of an Amy-vs.-Christmas showdown over the last couple of days, pretty sure I'm now bankrupt, but whatever... :-/

Anyhoo, I'm still catching up with reader requests but I found several questions lurking amongst the comments from the last few days so I thought a Q&A post might be just the ticket. Here goes!

Anon asked: "Is there such thing as skatergoth (like skateboarder)?"

As far as I'm aware there's no specific fashion style for Goths who also skate. Excuse me for generalising, but it seems the larger proportion of the Goth scene nowadays is made up of those aged 25+ who, on the whole, would look maybe a little bit ridiculous on a skateboard. Of course there are  Goths who skate; it's likely that their clothing would usually be skateboarding-suitable attire in assorted shades of black with appropriate accessories and I have no doubt whatsoever that some these Gothlings may refer to themselves and their style as 'skatergoth'.

I realise that I basically just said "No, but yes," so I do hope you understand what I'm getting at.

InfiltratorN7 asked several questions about Filthy Victorians 2012. Kitty Lovett may have some more to say about this, but it's my blog so I'll have two cents...

Origins? In brief, Filthy Victorians sprang from the brow of Kitty Lovett, who basically said, "I'm going to challenge myself to dress in historically-accurate Victorian ladies' garb for an entire year, who's with me?" So yes, it is for fun, there is no practical purpose. It's just a fun, interesting and unusual self-challenge.

"But if it's for fun, why have so many rules?" Like the Pirate's Code, they be more guidelines than rules (as far as I can fathom, anyway). Kitty's idea triggered a load of interest and a huge reaction, which led to her having to create some sort of cohesive communtiy out of the chaos. To keep us all in line and to make sure that the challenge made sense to everyone, Kitty added some handy basic guidelines.

"Do people have different reasons for taking part?" Undoubtedly. I guess the most common would be an interest for and appreciation of Victorian fashion. I wanted an excuse to shop for more corsets and I liked the idea of looking antique and more bizarre than usual in today's technology-mad world. Also I wanted to look pretty. I expect many bloggers were interested because it's a great way to post interesting and innovative outfit pictures; most of us enjoy themed posts or blog challenges and this is like a bigger version of that.

"What do they think they'll get out of the experience or learn from it?" This is probably a bit too deep for me... I can't speak for anyone else but I was expecting to end up with nothing more than a well-trained itsy-bitsy wasp waist and a new appreciation for tank tops and skinny jeans, and some really fancy hats.

"What set the ball rolling?" Kitty's post, here.

Anon asked, "What is your opinion on fake piercings? I wear fake snakebites sometimes because I like how they look and I'm too squeamish to get real ones."

Hmm. I used to wear a clip-on nose and lip ring when I was about twelve... since I was old enough to get real piercings I didn't really see the point of having fake ones any more. I know some body-modders roll their eyes at fake piercings (despite our penchant for fake falls, wigs, eyelashes etc., the word 'fake' is still used as an insult by many in the Goth scene...) but as a way of experimenting before you are old enough to decide whether or not to get real piercings I don't see anything wrong with it.

However if you are twenty-five and pretending that your fake piercing or tattoo is real, you're probably a bit try-hard and the dreaded word 'poseur' might pop up from time to time. There's absolutely nothing wrong with being Goth and NOT having body mods; for most adult Goths, either being unadorned and proud or going for the real thing are generally better options than faking it.

Personally your reasoning seems fine to me; for you the real thing is not currently an option but you find it aesthetically pleasing, so why shouldn't you wear fake ones? It's not to make you seem 'MOAR GOFFICK' so I can't see why anyone might have a problem with it.

Showing off my new necklace (The Zombified)

14 comments:

Kitty Lovett; The Unadulterated Cat said...

2012: year of the giant feathery hats.

(I assume it's like Day of the Triffids, but with more mercury and men with moustaches saying "my word!")

You pretty much got it all right there, except forgot to add in that I'm a bored, lazy cow with little motivation to do much, so having a whole internet staring me into action would probably get me to actually do something with my life. :P

ultimategothguide said...

My word!

Miss Eva Morgan Reeve said...

''anything with the word 'fake' attached generally gets a bad rap in the alternative scenes...''

I disagree here. Fake hair extension, dread falls, fake nails, fake ├╝ber boobs for some of the models, painted eyebrows, coloured contact lenses, fake eyelashes, vampire teeth. To name a few...

I think that a division of the Goth subculture thrives on fakeness actually.

ultimategothguide said...

You're totally right, haha I really wasn't thinking there was I? Oops...

Inmate 4 said...

My two cents on body piercings: I have a few, but I also currently add fakes on occasion. This isn't because I worry about fitting in or anything - it's because I've wanted more piercings forever but I'm also currently on a mission to donate platelets for a longish stretch of time and getting any more piercings would mean I have to stop for a full year - a year in which people will still need platelets. So I fake the ones that I'll be getting in the future for the benefit of people's lives now.

akumaxkami said...

I love the look of piercings, but I honestly can't stand the idea of actually shoving metal through my face. Sometimes I contemplate wearing fake rings and stuff - I would never try to play it off as real though, that would be silly!

BellaDonna said...

I'm curious to know what was so "filthy" about the Victorians (other than their minds)??? It just seems such an odd thing to call spending a year in Victorian dress, unless everyone has to take a solemn oath not to wash or bathe... ;-)

ultimategothguide said...

BellaDonna - it's an Emilie Autumn reference.

Anonymous said...

Thank you Amy, and everyone else who mentioned their ideas on the subject, for helping with my question about the fake piercings. You were all very helpful.

Maeam said...

I was totally thinking of getting fake tats and piercings. One because I'd like to know what they look like on me before I get them done permanently and second because...I need to. That's just it. I can't wait...

AnJuli said...

Thank you for acknowledging that most goths are 25+. I always feel old, as well as marginalized, when someone brings me a clipping of someone modeling goth clothing and they're like 16. I used to try to explain that, at best, the person is a Baby Bat and that goth isn't just a never-ending game of dressup.

Then I gave up.

Also, thanks for the piercing info. I can tat myself up with no problem but every piercing I've ever had ended up getting infected and falling out. Ears, navel, eyebrow... all infected. I've tried different metals, different piercing styles, I even went so far as to have my physician do a pure gold and then try a surgical steel one but no luck. I never went fake because it seemed... fake.

Dominic said...

Before joining the actual modern Army, I was an American Civil War reenactor. To this day I have a great deal of love for Victorian day-to-day wear, and the options it presented. Ranging from simple, hard-wearing working cloths that aren't much dissimilar from cloths still worn by men who work outdoors with their hands today all the way up to the fancy and fantastic. And that's not even speaking of the military fashions outside of the Americas. Dear LORD, the dress uniforms of the German kingdoms!

My not-so-secret joy in retiring from the real Army is the fact that I can grow out my hair again...and wax my way to a proper mustache.

My Word, Good Heavens, and By Jove!

InfiltratorN7 said...

Thank you very much for answering my questions Amy and for providing a link. I just found your earlier post from July. I hadn't seen it before (yes I fail). Oh and thanks for clarifying the filthy reference. I was wondering about that too! ^_^

I like your point about appearing as a contrast to the modern world of technology. I guess also you'll all look more high maintenance and put together than the average person on the street. I read somewhere that the chain 'Next' was partly to blame for modern casual wear (not so sure that's true though). Nobody wears hats anymore either, it died out after the war. I also read that in the post-war era anyone who wandered round a hat making town without a hat on was taking their life into their hands as they risked being attacked as people saw their livelihoods disappearing! When you watch old films you definatly see a shift in how people dress between the 1960s and 1970s.

I'm now wondering how many people are out there who consider themselves to be skatergoth or rather as goths who happen to be skaters too?

Raven said...

for me fake is the only option at the moment (Being 15 can be annoying)but there are some peircings i want, but the risks... eyebrows and lips are good examples.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...