THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES

Monday, 14 November 2011

Spotlight: Sebastian Columbine

It is probably quite lazy of me to do a spotlight post about one of my favourite YouTubers, but I assure you it won't be the only time I will do this. I'm kind of a YouTube addict. Plus I think it's kind of a nice way to highlight people in the subculture who I think are doing awesome things. I don't feel you should have to be a model, artist or musician to get recognition within a community-based scene like Goth - perhaps as a blogger I am a tad biased, though...

Anyhoo. Today I'm turning the spotlight on Sebastian Columbine, aka YouTube's SebastianTheGirl. Sebastian is a young American Goth who happens to make great videos - the topic on which she most often holds forth is, of course, our dear subculture. Sometimes funny, sometimes thought-provoking, always honest, you may agree or disagree with some of Sebastian's viewpoints but she always has something interesting to offer.

Image (c) Sebastian Columbine
Source

Of course, the best part of watching someone on YouTube is ogling their outfits, hair and make-up, and I have to admit that I DO love Sebastian's style.

I also highly recommend that you check out her Tumblog The Darkest Show On Earth, which is where I source quite a number of the images I use on this blog.

[A small note: some of Sebastian's thoughts and opinions have provoked a little controversy, which has resulted in her receiving some unpleasant messages and comments. I'm sure that most of us are capable of considering the viewpoints of others and deciding whether to accept or reject them without needing to be rude and unkind about it; this is a big subculture, not everyone within it is going to see eye to eye, and that's perfectly OK and not a good reason to send someone hatemail.]

OK, I'm done enthusing about random people on the internets (for now, anyways). Hope you enjoy. :-)

11 comments:

Under_The_Stairs said...

I love her channel! Its nice shes getting some attention.

Chloris said...

Ah, awesome! I love her "I really love bats" spoof of the infamous "I love cats" eHarmony hoax video! Ms. Lou of The Neo-Victorian Parlour shared that little gem with me ;)

I may not agree with some of Sebastian's opinions, but she is an intelligent and well-spoken young girl and I admire her for speaking her mind and being so open and honest about things. It's terrible that most of the harrassment she recieved was from fellow goths, too.

Tenebris In Lux said...

I might open up some videos on my account, but I'm not sure what to vlog about ..

I'll have to check her out later, thanks Amy!

Anonymous said...

I am friends with her and this make me happy to see that she is getting out there :)

Toxic Tears said...

Would love to see more posts on alternative vloggers, always looking for people who's videos enjoy.

My own tend to be a bit goofy haha

Mjolnir said...

I like Sebastian (how awesome is that name?!) because she's honest, she has killer style and she's cute as hell. I wish I could wear black lipstick as well as her!

Anonymous said...

She's a nice girl:)and very helpful! But I wanna make a request...I've been in love with a very underground band called One Eyed Doll. And when I say underground, I mean that their fan base is way under one thousand. And I've recently read that they consider themselves Goth Rock or Punk Rock. And I was wondering if you could look into this? Like, see what you think. If you think they're any good. If not then maybe you'll like them anyway!

ultimategothguide said...

Anon - I'm already a fan! I would be delighted to feature them for a future spotlight post. ^^

Cate said...

Oooh yay! Thankies, Amy! I was the Anon by the way. I just got this blog so I could do a "Goth" blog. I'm getting it on its feet, though! And I can't WAIT for the One-Eyed Doll post:)

Kitty Lovett; The Unadulterated Cat said...

I love Sebastianthegirl. She's adorable. I wish people people would stop being all "You hate hipster goths? YOU ARE ONE" and picking on her, because she's not a hipster. She's an awesome.

Anonymous said...

"I'm sure that most of us are capable of considering the viewpoints of others and deciding whether to accept or reject them without needing to be rude and unkind about it."

AMMMEEN. I love Sebastiane. My heart clenched for her when I saw the horrible bullying she endured. Even worse from fellow goths (even some that are far too old to have such awful manners)! I'm proud of her for still sticking with what she loves and not letting those bullies control her.

I agree with her views on the gothic lifestyle. I was annoyed when people dismissed it simply because of her age. As if being eighteen means you can never have an opinion or be right about something? Sheesh.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...