THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES

Sunday, 1 January 2012

BatFit 2012: Challenge One

I'm very proud to be joining Le Professeur Gothique's BatFit 2012 this year. You can find out more about this Goth Healthy Living Campaign over yonder.

Challenge One for BatFit was, in our lovely Professeur's words, "to go out and buy yourself a notebook, journal or sketch book -- anything that you'll write in constantly. If you can't buy something then find an old half used notebook or make a file on your computer. This is going to be your health journal and will be the place where you keep your innermost thoughts, accomplishments and miscellanea associated with Bat Fit 2012", which suited me down to the ground as I just started keeping a journal last week.

Here it is:
All right, all right, it would have been much less cheesy and teen-angst to make my own kickass journal, but I got this for my birthday and I think it's cute. So there! Also please admire my nifty syringe pen.

"1. Write your health goals for 2012. Be brutally honest, candid and realistic about what you want to achieve. Many of you shared this with us on the Facebook page, however it's time for you to write it out in your own handwriting.

2. Once you've done that, your second entry will be for you to explore the meaning of good health. What does it mean to you? How does it relate to your goals? Be absolutely realistic.

3. Write no less than five things that you are grateful for, or that you've accomplished during the day and are proud of, or that you like about yourself.

Share pictures of your journal on your blogs! Heck, share your first two entries on your blogs, too!"

1. My lifestyle is crap. I bounce between eating loads of sugary rubbish like cake, buscuits and chocolate almost continually and eating very little to the point that I am continually cranky. Because a lot of what I eat is unhealthy or overprocessed, my skin is bad, and I do very little exercise so I'm extremely out of shape. I'm a twenty year old who can't walk to the end of the road without getting out of breath and I can't even touch my toes.

Yes, I'm slim, but I'm very unfit - much unfitter than many people I know who wear a bigger dress size than me - and unfortunately because I don't exercise and have poor eating habits I currently fit into the rather unflattering category known as 'skinny-fat'. :-/

Genetics are on my side - my family on both sides is built to be tall, athletic and extremely slender; what feels a healthy, comfortable weight for me seems a very low weight for my height and throws my BMI out entirely, but is actually my natural build. I am currently the biggest I've ever been and whilst I am still 'slim' I am aware that I'm not eating very healthily and am heavier than I should be for my natural build. I am packing on the pounds at an alarming rate.

Simply put, I would like to be fit and healthy, sort out my eating habits - not dieting, but not scarfing down sugary overprocessed rubbish or eating nothing for half a day and feeling miserable and hard-done-by, but eating good, wholesome, natural foods (and the occasional treat of course!) - and get my flat stomach and hipbones back before bikini season.

2. For me, good health is measurable by how comfortable and how good I feel rather than by the scales or by BMI. I'd be happy to be on the chubbier side if I felt good with it and didn't feel self-conscious, and vice versa. Eating rubbish and not moving enough makes me feel sluggish, lethargic and grouchy which is not how I want to spend the rest of my life.

I have to admit that I find talking about this so publicly a little bit embarrassing, but at the end of the day good health is something everyone should aspire to so I see no reason to be shy. Slim people can be unhealthy and unfit too.

15 comments:

Caroline Carnivorous said...

I weigh about 68 pounds, but I'm 4'10'' tall, so it's okay, I guess. I'm not that fit, but I tend to push myself to do my best in gym class.
I'm educating myself to be a hairdresser, and I'm planning to join a training studio when I graduate in june, so I at least get SOME exercise once a week.

linnea-maria said...

Thats great! Nice journal as well. I have to do something about my psycical healt and my physical, they go together for my sake.

KatSaw said...

Very well done! I applaud and admire your decision to take these steps publically -- I'm sure it would aid anyone's willpower despite the embarrassment (although I don't feel you have anything to be ashamed of so far).

Good luck.

BellaDonna said...

Okay, you've inspired me to try it as well! I actually HAVE changed my eating habits and have lost almost 30 pounds over the last couple of years, but I've started to slack off, especially on the exercise, so this will put me back on track, and this time I won't be all by myself. :-)

Unlacing the Victorians said...

I understand the need to be fit- I am about the same kind of body type, with the same bad eating habits. Batfit is a great idea to get yourself to a better state of wellness and having healthy weight. Kudos to you for recognizing your own shortcomings regarding your lifestyle despite the slim body type!

LadyFlaneur said...

I appreciate your blog! <3333

Nightwind said...

Good nutrition is very important and when a person decides to start eating better, the feeling good part of it will surely follow.

Vermilla said...

I plan on doing this as well. I don't see myself as fat or obese or anything, but I think staying fit and in good health would be a nice New Years resolution. I just don't know if I will be able to resist the temptation to eat candy and chocolate... :P
I adore that pen! Would you care to tell me where you got it(though I suppose I could find a similar one online)?
Also, I want you to know that you are one of my many idols. I think you were my biggest help as I journeyed farther in the Goth Subculture.

Minakitty (Mary) said...

My 23 year old self was proof that you could be thin (5'4", 88 lbs) and not be fit. I haven't worked out since college, and am most often too tired to do so now. It will be a lot of work for certain (especially when taking needed medications with weight gain as a side effect), but I'll be joining the challenge, just not with a blog. Best of luck! :)

Jessie Aaker said...

I am, without a doubt, also in the unflattering "skinny-fat" group. Having some toned muscles by the end of 2012 would be a wonderful thing (along with the strength to open all the pickle jars I desire!)

ultimategothguide said...

Vermilla - thank you for making my day! <3 The pen was from Poundland's Halloween selection but you can find them in a lot of UK gift shops for about £2.99. ^^

Le Professeur Gothique said...

Awww! ((((HUGS))))) :) Welcome aboard, sweetie! Gosh, I'm just so floored that BatFit has inspired all of you fabulous folks! This is going to be an AWESOME New Year for us all! HUZZAH!

DEATH OF A RAVEN said...

Poor exercise and don't eat very well. The same here Amy. I seem to be slightly skinny/fat. Nothing wrong with it. It just means that our kind have bigger personalities, that cannot be contained in just a small body. It's because our personalities are much stronger, as well as slightly bigger. By the way, Are Die Laughing really back together again? That is some real top news. I'm now more happier than before. That has brightened up my Gothic days/nights. Hope they do an album soon.

Anonymous said...

OMG! I absolutely LOOOVE your journal!!! Where did you get it?? Me and my friend love the vampire diaries books!!

Saoirse (it's an Irish name)

Amy Asphodel said...

Saoirse - it was in the Tesco supermarket for about £3 around Christmas - you could always try Amazon.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...