THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES

Wednesday, 18 January 2012

Do you have a 'melancholic temperament'?

I was reading an issue of my mum's Natural Health magazine to get some healthy living ideas to help me along with BatFit when I came across something that really amused me. It was a personality test based on the theory of the 'four humours' and advised each personality type of which colours they should wear; "Are you being true to yourself, wearing the colours you were born to be seen in? Or have you unknowingly moved away from your true characteristics?"

Source: Google
Based on the score I got, apparently I have a melancholic temperament... and am advised to wear black, white, fuchsia pink, electric blue, dark grey and maroon with black, white and silver accessories. Out of all the four temperaments this was definitely the only decidedly Gothy palette - some of the others even stated bluntly, 'not black'.

The 'melancholic' humour is described thusly: "In company you may be quite self-conscious, feeling that people are looking at you, and on a bad day that they are being critical. You very much want people to think well of you and this may be why you are usually impeccably presented. You are inwardly aware that you are a special person but you still tend towards low self-esteem. Works of art can often trigger your deepest feelings: music, paintings, theatre and poetry. You may be intensely artistic."

The four temperaments are listed as patient Phleghmatic, sunny Sanguine, dynamic Choleric and introverted Melancholic.

I'm not sure how accurate this sort of test is, but I couldn't help wonder how many Goths would also score as Melancholic and be advised that wearing black 'enhances their personality'. Sadly I couldn't find the same article online so you guys could post your test results, but I found a very similar test over yonder. Let's put this theory to the test!

22 comments:

theEmocarebear said...

I got dynamic Choleric, followed by sunny Sanguine.

Which is pretty accurate. ^^

Kaija said...

Melancholic. surprise surprise. :)

Caroline Carnivorous said...

I think that description suited me pretty well!

VictorianKitty (Sophistique Noir) said...

Oh yes, without a doubt... Just based on the description you quoted, I don't even have to take the test to know that. ;) But I did, and yes.

Daniel_8964 said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Daniel_8964 said...

I got a 63 on phlegmatic and 57 on Melancholy, 53 and 41 on others. So it does reflect me after all along with phlegmatic, but in a different perspective. I'm definitely phlegmatic and melancholy mixed in together.

Michelle said...

My highest were melancholy closely followed by phlegmatic. Both descriptions were accurate of me and the descriptions for sanguine and choleric were totally not me which is probably why I scored low on them. Interesting, thanks :)

Brittany said...

Highest was melancholy. I really do wish I had a friend around to see what they say about me, because I was uncertain of some.

Bane said...

The article sounds similar to the book "Personality Plus," which also uses four temperaments. I definitely have a melancholic temperament. Good thing wearing black enhances my personality; otherwise, I'd have to replace 90% of my wardrobe. ;)

Silver Snow said...

I got melancholic. It fits me pretty well, although I feel no need for approval or acceptance. :) I guess I can continue to wear black! ;D

Nightwind said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Nightwind said...

As I write this I'm listening to Tristania's "Sumerian Haze." That should tell you something right there.

Okay, truth be told I didn't take the test. Still, I'm in touch with my moods, so I hope you don't mind me answering this way:

I can get very talkative in small groups; especially when the conversation gets interesting, so I honestly don't know if other people view me as melancholy. In my private world however, I often get into a melancholic frame of mind. The cloudier and darker the day is, the more so I become--and almost happily so. During the colder, darker months I generally feel more withdrawn and melancholic. When summer arrives and I'm experiencing a bit more exuberance, I secretly wish for cloudy weather so that I can feel melancholy again.

Once I'm in a more somber frame of mind, I tend to dress darker and listen to more melancholic music. Sometimes though, I simply want to feel melancholic and will listen to music that will help put me back in that mood.

While I'm not generally a depressed person, I am very comfortable with my melancholic tendencies.

Under_The_Stairs said...

Yep.

Personally I think the idea that all goths do is kind of silly,though.(but the idea is nonetheless amusing :)

Maggie said...

Melancholic? Moi? I'm afraid I'm more of a choleric: energetic, dynamic, sometimes short-tempered. I've done similar tests a few times, but I never realised that your temperament could have something to do with the colours you choose.

ultimategothguide said...

Under_The_Stairs - I agree it's silly, but you just never know ;-)

linnea-maria said...

Me and my man did the test and I was clearly a melancholic (except self centered) with a touch of choleric, my man was Sanguine with a touch of phlegmatic. We complement each other sometimes :)

Nightwind said...

Okay, so I finally got around to taking the test. My original count under the melancholy column was 72. After leaving out the smaller numbers I was still a 71 melancholy. My second highest score was 42 sanguine.

So there you have it. The test definitely confirms what I said yesterday about being basically melancholy.

GothPocket said...

Hmmm:P strange lol. I'd probably get the same thing.

KML said...

I was surprised to find that phlegmatic fit me almost to a tee. Really, almost every trait is one I own, even the negative ones :/

KML said...

Okay, forget that. I just did more poking about google and basically all I'm hearing about phlegmatics is that they're lazy bums who'd prefer to do nothing and sit about quietly. Aw, hell no! >:(

Black Lace said...

Hello, thanks to your post I developed quite an interest in this subject. As a result I took the test you linked to, but, throughly interested, I searched out other quizzes and more information. I eventually wound up at this quiz: http://helloquizzy.okcupid.com/quizzy/take
And got the result of Melancholy Phlegmatic.
Overall I consider the results to be very accurate, and, as I generally consider myself Goth, would like to add that your theory has been further proven, at least by me :)

Anonymous said...

melancholic to the core ,though if im in a group of 3 close friends [or thereabouts]i am irrepressibly loudmouthed.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...