THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES

Friday, 6 January 2012

Goth gossip, bumper edition

I've been a bit lax about posting my Goth gossip snippets on the ends of posts for a while, so I hereby bring you this bumper edition of spooky news and handy tidbits about what is currently going on in the world of dark culture.

Source: Wayward Victorian Confessions
  • Wayward Victorian Girls are fraught with anticipation about Emilie Autumn's upcoming new album FLAG (Fight Like A Girl). Snippets released from tracks Gaslight and Girls! Girls! Girls! have recieved varied reviews; many plague rats have confessed to feeling disappointed by EA's latest direction. EA has also recently been having spats with other musicians, accusing Mindless Self Indulgence of sexism and Lady GaGa of copying her.
  • More from the world of Emilie Autumn - fans of Repo! The Genetic Opera, in my opinion one of the best movies aimed at Goths the world has ever seen, somehow managing to turn Barbie lookalike Paris Hilton into a delightful slice of Goth girl pie, may be either excited or alarmed to learn that its makers have teamed up with the punktorian princess herself for upcoming project The Devil's Carnival. Unfortunately, thus far this collaboration has produced no more than a twelve-minute long snoozeathon of a trailer. Click here to watch it if you don't believe me.
  • Pauley Perette's much-beloved Goth girl character Abby is both a source of amusement and irritation for Goths the world over - on the whole we rather like a bit of Abby (not all of us, but most as far as I can tell) but are sick of being told that we look like her. We can probably expect to be hearing the 'you look like that chick off that show' spiel a lot more now that Abby has reached the top of a poll to find TV's most likeable star. (Funny how people like Goths on TV but are scared of them in the street...)
  • Not specifically Goth, but relating to 'unusual' people or people with body modifications more precisely, I was appalled to see in the paper that a member of the choir of army wives who had the Christmas number one single in the UK, has been subjected to a cyberbullying campaign because of her tattoos. Samantha Stevenson, 28, of Military Wives received comments saying that she was 'disgusting' and 'shouldn't be allowed on TV'.
  • First lady of burlesque Dita Von Teese has released a fragrance for women named Femme Totale (great Valentine's gift, hint hint). It comes in a black glass bottle and includes peonies, patchouli, jasmine and Bulgarian rose. Click here to read the full press release.
  • Abney Park have released a novel set in their world of steampunk adventure. Entitled The Wrath of Fate and penned by 'Captain' Robert Brown, the band's lead singer, the book is on sale now from Abney Park's site.
  • Hammer Horror are bringing steampunk to the big screen, uniting two much-loved facets of dark culture. Hammer Films has acquired the rights to the novel Boneshaker by Cherie Priest, described as 'Victoriana meets the zombies' by the Independent. Boneshaker is summed up thusly, "set in an alternate version of 1880s Seattle, where the city has been walled in and a toxic gas has turned many of its remaining residents into zombie-like creatures called "Rotters". A young widow hunts for her teen son in the Seattle underworld, while dealing with airship pirates, a criminal overlord and heavily armed refugees."
  • Classic Goth-beloved TV show The Munsters will also be returning to screens in the US; NBC plans to relaunch the series as a 'visually spectacular one-hour drama', which will be 'edgier' and 'darker' than the 1960s original. No further details have been released as yet.
  • I'm sure many will be pleased to hear that old favourite band Die Laughing are reforming for their 20th anniversary in 2012. To celebrate, they've released a short movie 'showing what it was like to record a Goth album in the 1990s'. You can see it here.
  • The Melancholy Romantic reports that even Ukraine and the Russian Federation have felt the growing influence of steampunk. Click here to read more about a musical duo whose name translates as Time and Glass...

14 comments:

Sheridan said...

MSI vs sexism. Duh. I like them because of that :D

EA vs Lady Gaga.
I wonder where the Geishas for the lips or the plague doctors from ages ago to kill some rats. You get my point, it's all going the wrong way & I'm afraid EA is ruining it for herself :/

DeeSpookyOne said...

I dont care what the goth rules say i love abby Scuito even if she is a fake character on tv,,,, Whats that there is NO gothic laws, realy....

Miss Eva Morgan Reeve said...

@Sheridan; That was my exact reaction to the sexism accusation. Like ''Duh!'', it's merely stating a act not really an accusation and that's one of the reason why they are so awesome!

I do also believe that Gaga just puts glue all over her body and rolls around in random items and has enough attitude to rock it.

I still love EA, lovely girl in her own special way.

Photographer Leia said...

@DeeSpookyOne - I agree. I think she is adorable, and love her character. To be honest, I live in a small town and if people find that they can relate to me better by mentally comparing me to Abby (despite the fact that we do not look alike), well I can think of far worse individuals to be compared with. :)

Sheridan said...

Aye indeed. MSI just makes it so over the top it's just epic. They can get away with it like burlesque can get away with tastefull teasing.

I sure also do not see the point in EA getting all upset about MSI. I mean, EA is just doing the same; only she is doing it with photos (agree: running around with pasties or doing burlesque acts is not a regular fashion statement nor a "common" thing everybody does)

Unlacing the Victorians said...

I wonder if EA is going through a phase of her bipolar disorder where she is being particularly nasty to people. Dissing other musicians in such a way is pretty laughable- there's plenty of the same accusations that could be applied to her own act.

As for The Devil's Carnival "trailer"... after watching the entire thing I turned to my boyfriend (who was preoccupied with something else nearby) and asked him why he let me waste 11 min. and 40 sec of my life watching that. Also, I would like to point out the "sexual" shots of her ass. For someone who disses other artists for their "sexist" styles, she's certainly not discouraging people from viewing women as only eye candy with antics like that.

I fear she is ruining her image and herself.

Ghoulina Bones said...

I'm not really a fan of EA, I like her style, but I can't stand her voice.
On that note, I agree with a few others about MSI, and as for Gaga -she steals from many artists (marilyn manson and Madonna, for example). The only difference is she doesn't have enough personal creativity to be able to recreate those styles, so she simply recycles them.
And I do love Abby, I think she's charming, and therefore a nice positive goth girl. That isn't running around scowling in the hallways, and clutching her head in the dark when no one is watching.
As for the 'people enjoying goths in media' comment, I agree. I think it's kind of like a horror movie or ghosts. People love being scared and love the dark, when it's over there, but once they have a personal experience with a apparition or something "evil. They run and hide, and I think that goths are sort of lumped into that category too.

BLINK said...

XI most of MSI's songs are about how gay the lead singer is... what, so is he sexist 'cause he doesn't like to sleep with women or something?

xToxicTears said...

I'm disliking EA more and more.:| Everything I hear about her seems to just be her being a MAJOR douche to fans and musicians alike, and she acts as if she is a religion..T_T Eurgh.

I'll continue listening to the one song of hers that I enjoy and leave it at that I suppose..

Luna said...

I'm really pleased to hear someone finally picked up the rights to Boneshaker. It's a fantastic book and I really hope Hammer does it some justice.

InfiltratorN7 said...

I need to get a move on and book my Emilie Autumn tickets! I haven't heard any of the new tracks yet, but will probably end up buying the album. Emilie Autumn has changed direction before and I like both her Enchant music and Opheliac. Not really sure what Lady Gaga is supposed to ripping off of Emilie Autumn though.

Repo? Never heard of that before. Wait that was a trailer on the Dark Carnival site?! I hadn't realised, just thought it was a boring website animation or something, didn't find much of interest on the site (I guess stuff will be added later) so didn't linger too long.

Never seen NCIS either. Have a friend who watches it, showed me a clip with Abbey in and I was a bit baffled why I was being shown it. I think it was just because she's a goth. :-S That is strange indeed how people can love goth characters on tv like in soaps but still recoil at goths they meet in real life!

Boneshaker sounds like it could be good. Nice to see Hammer Horror making a comeback.

Mjolnir said...

I'd read that EA's new album is going in a more metal/industrial direction which to me sounds promising as her growling vocals are pretty great, much more enjoyable than her falsetto. Can anyone here post a link to the samples of her new music? My google-fu is a little rusty. I hear all the time about EA being a bitch towards fans and other musicians but that's her prerogative as far as I'm concerned. I like her music and her style but honestly, calling MSI sexist and claiming that Lady Gaga is copying her? I think her ego is a little out of control.

I think I'm in the minority but I hated, hated hated hated Repo! The singing and the acting was so awful, not even hilarious B movie awful, as it had a good premise that was just badly, badly executed. The Devil's Carnival might be interesting but the trailer was so boring and tedious. Emilie Autumn does have a nice ass but for a self-proclaimed feminist who's calling other people sexist she doesn't seem to have an issue with flaunting her body.

I'm very excited about the revamping of Hammer Horror!

Lady Bethezda @ Bethezda's Preocupations said...

Ack! Didn't they already try to revive the Munsters into a TV show in the 90's? Can't people just leave good things alone?
Nice blog BTW!

Scyrith Morghulian said...

Concerning Abby, I'm very much grateful for her role in bringing the concept that yes, goths can be scientists, and intelligent to the world. I'm described to my friends' parents as "Abby but with computers". :P
Concerning Abney Park, I'm intrigued to see if Cap'n Brown's skill as a novel writer are on par to his skill as a lyricist. "Airship Pirates" is just brilliant.
Concerning The Devil's Carnival- agreed, the trailer was horrifyingly boring, but the atmosphere looked on-par with the quality that was featured in Repo.
On a personal note, any suggestions that you might have for getting a blog off the ground? I'm starting a medieval goth themed one, and it's quite the daunting task. >.< Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...