THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES

Thursday, 16 February 2012

"Goth will destroy your child"

All right, I'll put my hands up and admit it... when I was about sixteen, I wrote a four-page e-mail to God Hates Goths, hoping to make them see the error of their Goth-bashing ways. I got a short note in reply telling me that they didn't bother to read the entire e-mail, and calling me 'Ashley' (close enough). You can imagine how embarrassed I was when several months later I finally figured out that God Hates Goths is a satirical website, and as such my militant mallgoth rage was entirely redundant.

So I am therefore approaching this post (requested by Kitty Lovett) with some trepidation, although I am (somewhat) reliably informed that the following site is nothing less than the genuine article. After spending half an hour reading about how Sabrina (the teenage witch) is 'evil', tattoos are 'marks of Satan' and Guitar Hero is 'of the devil', I'm not entirely convinced, but let's go for it anyway!

Jesus Is Savior is a Christian (although I am using the term loosely here) website, which, if it is genuine, does not do much for promoting the tenet of 'loving thy neighbour as thyself'. I find it hard to believe that this is not satirical; the obsessive zeal and alarming ignorance remind me of other satirical sites such as Landover Baptist and the abovementioned God Hates Goths. Its slightly hysterical tone and fanatical standpoint are used against everything from Wicca to Roman Catholicism, from TV (known as 'devilvision') to, of course, Goth culture.

Source: Jesus Is Savior
As someone who attended a church school, lives in a predominantly-Christian parish and counts several Christians amongst her closest friends, I find the tone of this website perhaps more offensive in its projection of Christianity as bigoted and intolerant than in what it has to say about Goth culture. However, there have sadly been incidences where 'Christians' have taken it upon themselves to attack or bully Goths - notably young Goths, rather than adults more capable of defending themselves - such as the case of twelve-year-old Tempest Smith who was driven to suicide after relentless bullying from her 'Christian' classmates, and another twelve-year-old girl who was stoned by the congregation of a Baptist church as she passed by.

In general, I don't feel that the disgusting behaviour of such bigots is representative of Christianity - I'm sure that the large majority of those who follow a religion based on peace, love and forgiveness would think that stoning a child in the street is abominable. As such, as I think I have mentioned before, I hesitate to refer to those who propagate such sickening acts as 'Christian', because I strongly feel that there's more to being a 'good' Christian than simply standing in a church once a week.

Views like those of the writers at Jesus Is Savior are likely to be just as offensive to Christian Goths than the Wiccans and Satanists whose beliefs are attacked therein, because statements like, "Goths are all obsessed with death and despair, with terror and violence, and most Goths use drugs as a form of everyday life," undermine the values and faith of those who consider themselves both Goth and Christian.

The above quote was taken from an article on Jesus Is Savior, entitled Goth Will Destroy Your Child, by David J. Stewart. Here, for your amusement and daily face-palming workout, may I present a few more highlights from this article:
  • "Goth is a deplorable type of heathen culture that glorifies everything that is vile and unholy. The dictionary defines "Goth" as: A crude uncouth ill-bred person lacking culture or refinement. This pretty much sums up the Goth culture today. Goth glorifies things that are sick, nasty, improper, freakish, and downright demonic.  Goth is NOT just the music. In fact, not all Goths listen to Goth music."
  • "The term "Goth" refers to all categories of Gothics, from Emo 'Goths' to black metal 'Goths' to vampire 'Goths; from thrasher 'Goths' to punk 'Goths' to industrial 'Goths.' "Goth" is just a word the media uses to group a certain type of people together. The Goth culture includes Emos/ punks/ Wiccan witches/ self-abusers/ thrashers/ grungers/ heavy metallers, et cetera. This includes the Marilyn Manson, AC/DC, Smashing Pumpkins, Van Halen and Ozzy Osbourne crowd as well." EVERYBODY IS A GOTH!!!
  • "Goth causes teenage girls to become whores, depresses kids to the point of cutting themselves, and turns otherwise normal kids into Columbine shooters. The Goth culture is obsessed with death and the darker side of life, which is clearly evidenced in Goth music. Goth is of the Devil. Goth in itself is a mental illness, a sickness of the soul, mainly affecting teenagers in the same way as schizophrenia would, although to a greater extent. Its symptoms range from isolation and negativity to aggression and hate for humanity, depression, violent outbursts, low self esteem, self-loathing, self-harming and suicide. Many Goths turn to a life of crime to feed their addiction to drugs, sadism, violence and perversion."
  • "Goth deliberately crosses all the lines of proper dress, manners, refinement, and decency. Goth picks up where Rock 'n' Roll leaves off, offering a course in advanced rebellion, sexual immorality, and Satan worship. The Goth crowd is truly living at the bottom of the barrel of life, right where Satan wants them."
Sadly, whether this is a genuine site or not (and I am told that apparently the author of the article runs a ministry) the fact that articles like these abound on the internet does nothing to help Christian Goths to be accepted by their fellow churchgoers.

"‘It’s just sad the modern church is keeping within it’s boundaries,’ adds Billie. ‘Jesus went specifically to the outcasts in society, in this day and age, that doesn’t seem to happen.’ While Christian gatherings specifically for alternative people are one answer, neither thinks this is a reason for the ordinary church to turn their backs. There is a universal call for the Church as a whole to be less condemnatory and more inclusive. In Ash’s view this is something that Goths often get right and Christians do not. ‘It’s about inclusiveness. A Goth will sit down and talk to you, find out where you’re coming from.’ She has had no problems with her non-Christian Goth friends accepting her faith, but lots of problems from the church accepting the way they look. Marcus thinks it is essential that people get over the issue of what people look like. ‘The big problem, and challenge, is to try not to be judgmental about the way somebody dresses. You have to see what is good in them, not try to change them, but make them realise that Jesus is alongside them. They’ll find God on their own terms.'" - from Spirituality and Goths, Christiangoth.com.

30 comments:

Kitty Lovett; The Unadulterated Cat said...

davidjstewartexposed.blogspot.com here is an anti-David Stewart blog that accounts evidence against him. There is also evidence on fstdt.net (just search the blog title or his name, he'll pop up). I have dealt with this man MANY times, as well as real-deal people just as bad or worse than him, some online, some in real life. He is not a fake.

Miss Eva Morgan Reeve said...

''The Goth culture includes Emos/ punks/ Wiccan witches/ self-abusers/ thrashers/ grungers/ heavy metallers, et cetera.''

I laugh so hard!

Dismantlynn said...

I've been off and on dating a religon major and it's annoying the looks I get when people hear what his major is. As if to say "What? how can you be with her and want to go into ministry?

the fashionate traveller said...

Just been reading a few of your blog posts...and am very impressed with the thoughtfulness and depth of each (belying the blog's title!)

As someone who used to a Christian aeons ago and have been a goth for ages, I can only say "hear, hear!" I do find that many goths though are into paganism and are very dismissive of Christianity, inasmuch as they think of The Church (the institution, not the band!)

Under_The_Stairs said...

"Goth is a deplorable type of heathen culture that glorifies everything that is vile and unholy. "

Oh dear...*vomits in mouth*I have a hard time believing this is real,but perhaps I have too much faith in humanity.....

Nyteshade said...

*sigh* My face is hurting from all the times I facepalmed myself...

You called it. Lol

Cayora said...

I am wondering if the writer here is located in the US. We get a lot of this sort of tone over here. And not just about goths. It's rather depressing.

Mira said...

Honestly, as someone whose family synagogue was picketed by the Westboro Baptist Church, these guys aren't worth responding to. Nothing we say will change their minds, and they aren't actually interested in "saving" us, just feeling superior to us. Sometimes there's not a whole lot you can do but accept that some people are irrational and, as the saying goes, haters gonna hate.

Nightwind said...

Isn't it funny how groups such as these "Jesus Is Savior" people can manage to so misrepresent and misunderstand the subcultures they are condemning so well?

Of course, not all Christians are like these people, but where I live those who hate in the name of Jesus are in abundance. I just read the other day that these conservative evangelical Christians constitute about 30 percent of the U.S. voting population and basically control one of the two major political parties here. Further, one of them is a major contender for President of the United States. He consistently talks about restoring "Christian values" to America.

Being an individual, a free thinker and Goth is becoming a frightening proposition, especially here in the south. If more of these people get elected in November, and there's a good chance that they will, I expect that they will be imposing their agenda upon all of us with the full force of the law.

I think religion and spirituality are fascinating subjects, but I try to ignore those who turn these things into a set of rigid rules and dogma. Still, they are getting harder and harder to ignore these days because it's obvious that they intend to control us.

Minakitty (Mary) said...

@Cayora

It really does seem like a parody, doesn't it? I hope he never runs for office (or maybe he has, I don't know). There are parts of the US where he would be quite successful.

kakuidori said...

yep. were all satanics and cruel and killing cats and die from daylight. let's face it. they are right with everything they say...

meh. this topic makes my head fall off from shaking it too much. (um... may i have 'sexual immortality' that sounds like fun!)

App'y said...

I didn’t know God Hates Goths was satirical. You wrote a long email, I locked a Jehovah’s Witness in the kitchen and made him apologise for the comets on it ! I was nearly arrested !

zePencil Pirate said...

As a Christian myself, this website makes me SICK. I love my Lord and Savior, Jesus, and feel like I've known Him long enough to know that He doesn't really care how I dress and that being a judgemental creeper about my faith is not a good thing.

Boo.

Also, Amy, you can't know HOW much I appreciate you not lumping these people in with regular Christians. I feel like I'm not only having to defend goth against ignorant "Christians," but I'm having to defend Christians against ignorant goths. xD Thank you so much.

DarkAngelCase said...

I definitely face palmed... When I hear about sites like these, and hear about Christians acting like that, it makes me very upset because that is SO not right. It puts down Christians. I'm just glad that I have never had to deal in real life face to face with people like this who would write such things.

Ashley said...

Sadly I do believe this is real. In the state of WV in the USA most of the general population over 30 probably thinks like this. I'm kind of guessing it's real because of the links to the "fundamental 500" which is like a compilation of "Christian" websites leaning towards highly fundamentalist ideologies it seems. I've sadly seen this article before and actually did a commentary on it, but it's affiliations, links, and amount of "serious standpoints" on topics kind of leads me to believe it's not a parody sadly. But it's a completely mislead and pathetic stance on a diverse group such as Goths.

Cupcake.on.Crack said...

I am reading a book called

Doing Christian Ethics through the margins. By Miguel A De La Torre.

It explains EVERYTHING about this. It is more about socioeconomics and how Jesus wants the poor and rich to Getter along. However it is such a good book so far.

Something my teacher always tells us " Remember ladies, hell starts now. Heaven starts now."

Which is basically the idea that instead of the poor waiting for their slice of heaven, they must rise against their oppresors and demand their basic rights.

Very influential >:)

( i go to a private catholic college

akumaxkami said...

I'm going to assume the site is satire and pay it no further heed.

Dark Fantomzy said...

Made me sad to read this when I logged into Blogger today. I don't have words. All I can really say is that its very sad that there are people who make Christians seem like ignorant and bigoted people because of these kinds of websites. *sigh*

You're absolutely right, Amy, being a Christian is more than just going to church.

Jo said...

As a living contradiction of that disgusting article, I have actually found that embracing myself as a goth has actually made me stronger in my straightedge lifestyle, probably because knowing that I have accepted myself as an individual cements my convictions to remain true to my beliefs.

Faery Jay said...

Good Lord...as a Catholic Christian seeing this sort of thing from other Christian denominations almost makes my eyes bleed. =/ There is a definite difference between 'sin/evil' and 'dressing differently/listening to non-mainstream music' and I think people wrongly attribute a cause-and-effect thing there ie; "Wearing dark colours makes you sadistic, violent, filled with hate, etc." This would be like saying, "Wearing normal clothing makes you good."

(On that note, if wearing black makes you a bad person, I'd have to start questioning the morality of the priests in my parish - their cassocks are black. =P And if Van Halen is goth, my chavvy and completely un-goth guy best friend is in for a shock.)

Jesus' commandment was "As I have loved you, love one another." How can anyone claim to be Christian when they're not following Christ? Jesus is loving and forgiving - it makes me so sad when I see fellow Christians not doing the same. =(

I'm going to say a prayer for all the poor, misguided people who actually believe that abusive behaviour is limited to people who dress in black.

ella said...

Ahh, Poe's Law in action. (No, not that Poe. The law just says that it's difficult to tell the difference between parody and real extremist fundamentalism.) This seems genuine enough.

Why shouldn't goths be Christian? They love churches and the bible does say that a wise person thinks a lot about death.

Anonymous said...

I find it a tad ironic that there are many goths who lean to the right politically, are Christians, and share so many of the same values of the Evangelical Fundamentalists...

Katherine :) said...

*Facepalm* That is all I'm going to say. Just facepalm

But I will add this. They have a list of evil of musicians. Could you get any...sadder? I mean, apparently Jimi Hendrix is evil. Jimi Hendrix?! I am proud to say I like quite a few of the bands on that list ;) Evil, aren't I?

Anonymous said...

The line "I don't want my children associating with homosexual teenagers" says it all about how close-minded this person is. I live in a mostly Catholic country, and my religion teacher is a nun, who listens to some of the bands this site listed. I can't imagine her reaction to this.

Arachnide said...

ROFL!!! jesus-is-savior is the worst Christian site on the net written by an ultra-bigot! Long before you wrote that post I've visited that site and even as a Christian myself I'm disgusted! And do you know that the JIS writer claimed himself in his web page that a holy ghost came to him and forgive his sins. What a LOL!

Gibson said...

Oh man. I've been to that sitebefore-I am a Wiccan. Usually, with sites like that I laugh and ignore it, but that site is pure evil.

Anonymous said...

Jesus-is-Savior makes me want to throw up. It's disgusting how he hates in the name of "love." I am a Christian who is new to the Goth scene, and I have found that finally being who I am (a Goth) has strengthened my faith instead of cutting it down.

Sadly, I had a "friend" who would have agreed with JIS. He constantly picked on my because of the music I like--Virgin Black, Bella Morte, Saviour Machine, Sopor Aeternus & The Ensemble of Shadows, to name a few bands--and when I opened up to my friends about wanting to go Goth he flipped out completely and said some very hurtful things. Needless to say, we're not friends anymore.

I know that Jesus said to "love your enemies" but it's going to be very hard to not scream at him if our paths ever cross again.

Anonymous said...

Oh-em-gee! this makes me facepalm and throwup at the same time. THERE IS SUCH A THING AS CHRISTIAN-GOTHS. MATTER O' FACT I AM ONE!!!

Cirith said...

As a Christian Goth myself I can honestly say that that type of bigotry makes me sick.

I am now going to pray for the man that wrote that. I will pray that he meets Jesus and learns what love is because he clearly hasn't met God and doesn't know what love is and that deeply saddens me.

Anonymous said...

I often wonder if these so called "Christians" ever realize that attitudes like this draw people AWAY from God, not to him? Calling me faggot, freak, loser, Satanist, ect doesn't only reminds me WHY I've left the faith in the past

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...