THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES

Tuesday, 14 February 2012

Vampire's Day Soiree: Top ten vampire romances

I am one of the many, many bloggers taking part in Holly's Horrorland Vampire's Day Soiree today! First of all I'd like to wish everyone a happy Valentine's day, and hope you have a little better luck than me (the boyfriend is sick, so it'll be takeaway tonight rather than the date we were planning XP). Anyhoo, the Vampire's Day Soiree is an alternative Valentine's Day event for us bloggers, and you don't win any prizes for guessing the theme...


For my vamp-themed V-day post, I'm going to cover vampire romances (of course!), specifically ten vampire or vampire/human couples from the world of fiction (movies, TV and books) whose stories I could recommend sinking your fangs into... yup, cliches galore...
  1. Eve Rosser and Michael Glass (The Morganville Vampires by Rachel Caine). Goth girl meets ghost-turned-vampire hottie musician. I personally love the Morganville series; yes, they are a bit cheesy but I'm a self-confessed Rachel Caine addict and it's impressive when a young adult vampire series can keep going for so many volumes without losing any of its pace or sparkle.
  2. Sookie Stackhouse and Bill Compton (True Blood by Charlaine Harris). My friends and I are all addicted to the TV series of True Blood, but I really enjoy the books just as much, if not more. The course of love certainly does not run smooth for Sookie and Bill (and ends in disaster, in fact...) but as the telepathic-waitress/brooding vampire relationship is the catalyst that, essentially, sparks all the action that is to follow, it deserves a mention.
  3. Buffy Summers and Angel (Buffy the Vampire Slayer). Old, yes, but Buffy won the hearts of teenagers of my generation everywhere and still remains my favourite slice of comfort TV. Angel, despite not being my favourite vampire bloke from the show (Spike, your black nail varnish and sexy cheekbones clinched it for me), provided a conveniently broad-shouldered, leather-jacketed portion of angst. Who didn't shed a tear when Buffy had to send her 'one troo wuv' to the depths of hell?
  4. Selene and Michael (Underworld). Ice queen vampire Selene meets her match in the human Michael when she discovers him being tracked by her kind's sworn enemies, the lycans. Of course, Michael becomes a lycan-vampire hybrid by the end of the movie, which makes their forbidden relationship a touch complicated.
  5. Kerry and Ethan (Companions of the Night by Vivian Vande Velde). Sixteen-year-old girl meets handsome vampire stranger at the laundromat. As you do.
  6. Count Dracula and Mina Harker (Bram Stoker's Dracula). Another film remake of the quintessential vampire tome, Gary Oldman's Dracula proves irresistable to the swooning Mina. And there was me expecting the ending to match that of the book. Silly me...
  7. Etienne Argeneau and Rachel Garnett (Love Bites: Argeneau Vampires by Lynsay Sands). Incidentally, this book was a present from the boyfriend. Cute vampire fluff, played for laughs not thrills and chills, and none the worse for it. Etienne is the hapless but hunky vampire looking for a soulmate, Rachel the confused vampire fledgling in his care.
  8. Raven and Alexander (Vampire Kisses by Ellen Schreiber). On the subject of fluff, another Goth-girl-meets-gorgeous-vampire romance series. Not for the serious-minded but great fun for younger Goths and packed with band-name-dropping and black lipstick.
  9. Effie and Alucard (the Brenda series by Paul Magrs). A VERY unconventional relationship from the master of offbeat black comedy. Effie, an old lady living in Whitby, is besotted with the slightly sinister Kristoff Alucard, who prefers a nice warm jugular to a cup of tea.
  10. Drusilla and Spike (Buffy the Vampire Slayer). Probably the vampire couple that most appealed young Gothy fans of Buffy; the dark and deranged Drusilla had her perfect counterpart in bad boy Spike...
Now come along to Holly's Horrorland to meet the other bloggers participating in this soiree...
Dru and Spike <3

25 comments:

SaryWalrus said...

I have to admit, I'm surprised with the creativity of what I've seen for the Soiree. I've seen outfit posts, book reviews, and more. It's a great variety.

Spike was always my favourite!

Cherish said...

Angel and Buffy were such a great couple, I was sad for ages afterwards when they had to break up :(

But Spike and Dru WIN. Best couple ever! :D

InfiltratorN7 said...

I'm surprised you didn't include Elena and Stefan from the Vampire Diaries. Stefan, another brooding vamp (what's with all the brooding vampire boyfriends?) with his bad boy brother Damon).

Buffy and Angel are a classic couple. They were soul mates but never seem to have a break. Even in series 8 (the comic book series) things don't end so well for them.

For fans of Spike and Dru I recommend checking out the book Spike & Dru: Pretty Maids All in a Row. It's set in the 1940s and follows Spike and Drusilla trying to kill of the Slayer and all the Slayer Potentials. I liked this book and also love the Tales of the Slayers books which are collections of short stories about different slayers over the centuries.

Never cared for Selena and Michael. They lacked chemistry and didn't convince me they had any feelings for each other. I remember how they marked the film as some kinf of Romeo and Juliet situation of forbidden love caught in a war between two races. The film was ultimately disappointing. :-/

Mad Vampire Poet said...

Yay, Spike and Dru! They're awesome! I'm writing a fanfic about them, because they're awesome. And I'm reading a Morganville book right now!

Amy Asphodel said...

InfiltratorN7 - I thought about including Elena and Stefan, but after True Blood, Buffy and the Morganvilles I thought I'd give the pop culture vamp cliches a bit of a rest. >.< L.J. Smith's Night World books were the first 'paranormal' books I remember reading, this could have been a total L.J.-fest...

Miss Eva Morgan Reeve said...

I had my picture taken with James Masters last year at Comic-con, very nice guy, very cute, he's short though...

Retro-Zombie said...

now i dig spike, he has a class all of his own... just finishing watch angel on tnt, they really missed out on the last season being very good... i know i am off topic, but i am a zombie.

Part of the Vampire's Day Soiree!
Jeremy [Retro-Zombie]
Visit The Madness:
IZOMBIE

Alexandriaweb said...

I loved Spike and Dru (I also second reading "Pretty Maids all in a row" it's brilliant).
Never did like Bill Compton though, from the start he seemed like a manipulative douche to me.

Great post :)

Amy Asphodel said...

Spike is short?! Really? Gosh, I never imagined I'd be taller than James Marsters >.<

Abilene said...

Morganville Vampires! I love that series. My favourite vampire couple has to be Sita and Ray from The Last Vampire, though. Great post. :3

akumaxkami said...

I was contemplating participating in this blog event but as I'm not a very big fan of vampires in general, I opted out.

I'm loving all the entries so far though!

Annie said...

Spike and Dru... yep... Vampire Bill? No. This is a great list... Speaking of Morganville vamps I should have included Myrnin on my list... crazy bastard.

I think Louis, Lestat, and Claudia would constitute as a couple, too! They would be my pick.

Happy Vampy Fangy Day! ~Annie
http://annie-walls-author.blogspot.com/

Nightwind said...

...And a happy Valentine's Day to you too Amy, and to all the others who participate here.

Mira said...

An appropriate theme for the day the original Dracula movie was released in theaters!

Also, no forgetting Oskar and Eli in Let the Right One In!

BellaDonna said...

Okay, I know this is ancient (although not quite as old as "Dracula"), but I have to put in a plug for Nick and Natalie from "Forever Knight" (1992-94 TV series) as my favorite hybrid couple. When the human forensic scientist creates a synthetic blood substitute so her favorite vampire cop doesn't have to feed off humans while she hunts for a cure, you KNOW it's true love...

Miss Eva Morgan Reeve said...

Charlotte & Baron Meier Link from Vampire Hunter D. <3

Daniel_8964 said...

Good post :) I'm familar with the Dracula and Mina, Selene and Michael romances as I have seen them on DVD at home. Most of all I hope you have a excellent darkly romantic valentines day, Amy and the others who are reading this.

bunika13 said...

i will definitely be checking these out, i love vampire romance novels!

Phells said...

Happy Valentines Day to you and everyone else too!

I have to agree with the pairs I know of, although I admittedly try to stay away from vampire romances, especially vampire boy meets human girl.
Buffy the Vampire Slayer has a special place in my heart though since it was the show I got up at two AM to watch when I was around seven years old...against my parents wishes. =P The TV series had a bad ending.
But Spike and Dru for sure <3

Jo said...

I have a couple of favorite couples I'd like to add as well:

Kuroe and Misaki from the Japanese manga "Blood Alone"

Louis and Claudia from "Interview With the Vampire."

Happy V-Day! :) <3

Lady Bethezda @ Bethezdas Preoccupations said...

Awesome post. I love how everyone in the Vampoire Soiree has done something different. Great list!

Katelynn said...

Love that you threw in Etienne Argeneau and Rachel Garnett because I am a huge fan of Lynsay Sands books. I have every book in both the argeneau series and the Rogue hunter series and Ettiene is actually one of my favorite characters in the series.

And I'm not sure if you've read more of lynsay's books but in the series mentioned there is a lot of vampire fluff and some pretty funny moments. :P

S. L. Hennessy said...

So far, yours is my favorite Vampire Day post. LOVE this one. Though I must admit, it concerns me that Buffy and Angel aren't first one the list. My all time favorite. And though I prefer Sookie and Eric to Sookie and Bill, you have fabulous taste in vampire couples. Seriously awesome post!!

Little Gothic Horrors said...

Those stripy tights in your new banner are adorable! Spike's my fav, but Angel and Buffy were wonderful while they lasted. Spike and Dru were hilarious. Love the 'Underworld' movies, and the Paul Magrs series!

Happy Valentine's/Vampire' Day!

Amanda J said...

Morganville Vampires! I love that series too, it's unbelievably addictive and like you said, it's still going strong! I would have also added Elena & Stefan to the list plus Vampire Beach's Sienna & Jason.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...