THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES

Wednesday, 14 March 2012

Review: Steff Metal's Gothic Wedding Planner

After telling the family to relax, I'm not actually planning a wedding any time soon, I got stuck into reading Steff Metal's e-book, The Gothic Wedding Planner: A How-To Guide For Dark Couples in Love. Steff, a well-known writer and blogger, has combined a talent for writing and a wealth of personal experience to put together this handy guide.

One of the things I was most pleased about was the amount of information you receive for your money. As well as the Grymm and Epic Gothic Wedding Planner itself, no small fry at a very reasonable 232 pages, you also receive a free bonus Wedding Directory, chock full of links where you will find inspiration and items to help you plan your own special day, and a beautiful collection of readings which, whilst they might be perfect to include as part of your wedding ceremony, are also simply lovely just to browse through if you have a bit of spare time. A very nice surprise!

What about the e-book itself? Personally, I thought it was great. A lot of the information contained within is simply practical advice, presented with a refreshing lack of jargon or floweriness - handy facts, tips and guidelines for budgeting, avoiding common pitfalls and most of all, creating a wedding day that really reflects you as a couple. Better yet, it's not aimed at Goths alone; punks, Pagans, metalheads, steampunk enthusiasts and even Gothic Lolitas receive a nod from Steff, with suggestions for themed weddings, decor advice and even catering suggestions to please each of these subcultural denominations and more.

As someone not planning a wedding in the immediate future, I enjoyed dipping in and out of chapters (each helpfully broken down with headers to help you find precisely what you're looking for at a moment's glance) reading segments such as 'Gothic Food' and 'Body Modifications', but those with a date looming will also find plenty to calm that perfect-day panic, not simply to entertain.

I loved the combination of sensible, no-nonsense advice (right down to worksheets) with whimsical suggestions on designing every aspect of your perfect wedding (without breaking the bank), however outlandish or unusual your style, aesthetic or chosen theme - right down to a list of darkly delightful song suggestions for your first dance (everything from The Cure's Lovesong to, ahem, Monster Mash) - all presented in Steff's trademark warm, witty manner. Very enjoyable, and I'm keeping it on hand for future reference!

8 comments:

linnea-maria said...

Thanks for the tip. It will be perfect when planning my future wedding :D

Anonymous said...

I think Lovesong would be great for a wedding, whether it's the original or Voltaire's cover.

Sophie said...

I really wanted to walk down the aisle to Lovesong, but I made the biggest mistake one can make during wedding planning: I told a family member about my plan. Scandal ensued. We ended up just having the generic classical music offered by the courthouse. Oh well, the wedding is just one day, what I really wanted was the husband!

Amy Asphodel said...

Sophie - that reminds me of what I liked about Steff's book; it focuses more on the two people involved and their relationship rather than having a stereotypically perfect wedding with all the trimmings. Perhaps if you were to renew your vows in the future you could use Lovesong?

Amanda J said...

I'm already married, but wow, this sounds like an interesting book, is there a physical copy available? (I'm frankly terrified that the whole world will soon be digital, and my beloved books, cds & dvds will cease to exisist)

Would have loved a goth/pagan themed wedding, but not sure if my family would have gone along with it. But like you said, there's always renewals....

Mjolnir said...

Thanks for the review! I've never heard of this book before and I have been looking for something similar.

@Sophie - oh boy, I've run into that just talking about possible marriage. Apparently having a pirate-themed wedding with a ship captain officiating is 'unacceptable' to some people('s parents).

Anonymous said...

Do you know of any blogs that feature gothic lolita style? My style is a mix of it and classic goth. Problem iv been having is a lot of it is sweet lolita and its totally not my thing >_<

Steff Metal said...

Thanks Amy for such a positive review, and for all you guys and your support.

To answer your question Amanda J, there is currently only a PDF copy available, but I am WORKING (slowly) on pitching a physical copy to publishers and agents. There is definitely some interest, and all things going according to plan, you might see a copy in stores in the next year or two. It'll be a lot different from the ebook - more picture-heavy, inspiration-based, less writing. In the meantime, the ebook (and the blog) are where it's at.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...