THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES

Thursday, 1 March 2012

Self-Injury Awareness Day

Today, March 1st, is Self-Injury Awareness Day, a global grassroots campaign to raise awareness of self-harm and try to beat some of the common stereotypes that abound about the condition.

  • Self-harming behaviour is most common amongst young people aged between 12 and 24 but can occur at any age.
  • Self-injury is not about attention-seeking and not often associated with being suicidal.
  • It is usually a coping mechanism; used to communicate or deal with emotional distress.
More about self-harm here.

You can show your support for SIAD by wearing something orange, including a wristband, bracelet, ribbon or even nail varnish or simply drawing an orange circle on your hand.

For more information or support, visit Mind's page about self-harm. If you want to talk to someone confidentially, you can contact ChildLine or Samaritans. Please remember, you are not alone and you don't need to suffer in silence.

"Everything will be OK in the end; if it's not OK, then it's not the end." - I don't know who said this but I think it's a good thing to remember.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's quite a lovely idea. People needn't make fun of those who self harm; rather, have sympathy for them and be there for them.
Today is also my birthday...

Nyteshade said...

I didn'y know they had a day dedicated to this. That's good. Very good indeed

linnea-maria said...

Thank you for posting about this issue <3

Asinastra Nightshade said...

Thanks so, so much for this.

TheHalloweenLadybug said...

Thank you

Sal Kaye said...

I wish I had known earlier. I would have loved to show my support. A close relative of mine suffers from this - it's called "borderline syndrome" here. Is this how it's called in other countries, too?

Daniel_8964 said...

I didn't even know there were days like this, even they should. It is a thoughtful idea to do :)

akumaxkami said...

I had no idea such a thing existed. I used to self-harm and I'm glad that there's more awareness for this issue now.

Tenebris In Lux said...

I'm going to steal this, okay? It's a little late in the day here in America, but I'd still like to have this on my FB wall. I'll link it to this post, okay?

Much thanks, and this awareness DOES need to be spread!

The Black Rabbit said...

Thank you for this post. I used to self-harm, so this topic is very important to me on a personal level. I'm glad there's a day dedicated to spreading awareness about it.
Also, according to the internets, that excellent quote was said (or written, I wasn't able to find out if it was from one of his stories or not) by the writer Paulo Coelho.

Dorian Fusco said...

Another thing to note is "The Butterfly Project." I won't go into specifics here, but, it's all month long. Draw a butterfly on yourself to show support for the people who suffer form self injury.

Kirsten said...

Thank you for posting this. I think it's an issue that needs to be taken more seriously, and awareness should definitely be raised to it more often.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...